SG players that made you choose the SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dagger, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Westernrider

Westernrider Well-Known Member

The First time I can think of seeing this band with an SG....

cerebral gasket likes this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

First time I saw Glenn with an SG was in 1983.

I saw them in 2009, during the British Steel 30th Anniversary Tour, and he played the SG Special.

Here's my 2004 SG Classic...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  3. Musicmasterfuzz

Musicmasterfuzz New Member

John Cipollina, my n°1 SG player...

[​IMG]
    ... and also Mick Taylor, Jerry Garcia, Robbie Krieger..

4. JuanRa

JuanRa New Member

Clapton (slowhand):

[​IMG]

PauloQS likes this.
  5. Naki

Naki New Member

Clapton
    Zappa
    Duane Allman
    Derek Trucks
    Allan Holdsworth

6. Jhuttyhut

Jhuttyhut New Member

My first memory of seeing an SG in the context of a band was AC/DC. I still love the band to this day, so Angus definitely inspired me to get one, even though many years passed between the time I first saw them and me finally getting one. My first SG was an SG Classic and that was 100% because of Pete Townshend and chasing the Live at Leeds tone. Derek Trucks has also been huge in my love for the SG.

7. Matti Malinen

Matti Malinen New Member

Leo Hakanen from a Finnish band called Haloo Helsinki! 20863602_10155705591574758_2663370394389664143_o.jpg 37111433_10156545356359758_3379263775818383360_o.jpg

8. LTBR

LTBR New Member

When I was around seven, early 80's, my mom put Highway To Hell on the record player. And that was it. Been a huge fan since but it took me a long long time to actually get me a SG. I tried some SG's in the 90's but I played them too hard then and they sounded out of tune. Now a days I realise I don't have to beat the **** out of the guitar to make it roar.

Screenshot_20210302-175400_QuickPic~01.jpg

Neezduts89 likes this.
  9. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Many a Rock fan was born & raised this way! Just an awesome aural / emotionally stirring & mind-blowing experience for so many!

Rock 'n Roll!
    Get ya some kids!

10. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

Ian mackeye from Fugazi/minor threat. Angus and Tony of course. I’ve never really been too hung up on any specific players that use an SG, but I’ve seen many famous musicians using them over the years. I just love how they look and always have

nate33 likes this.
  11. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

That thing is beautiful

12. PauloQS

PauloQS Member

I have a weird one. No SG guitarists really made me an SG guy. However, indirectly Mark Knopfler had a huge influence in becoming a Les Paul guy, which then led me to become a Gibson guy and in turn sparked my interest on SGs. Obviously after I started playing guitar, Jimmy Page became one of my guitar heroes, and guys like Derek Trucks didn't hurt to spark my interest on the SG. I've always liked AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc. but it was Mark Knopfler that inspired me to pick up the guitar in the first place. So much so, my first 10 years of playing guitar was without using a pick for anything.

Mark Knopfler is more known for playing his strat, however one of the first albums that I'd listen to over and over again was brothers in arms, which features Mark Knopfler playing a Les Paul in abundance. There was also the money for nothing music video too. Later, when my parents got a stereo system capable of playing CDs, which at the time was considereed a huge upgrade from the LP players we had, my dad got the Money for Nothing album, which was sort of a compilation of the most famous songs from the self titled Dire Straits album to I think Brothers in Arms. Of course, the picture on the cover of the CD was taken directly from the money for nothing music video of Knopfler playing a Les Paul with those neon highlight special effects so popular at the time. Just like with the bothers in arms LP, I would listen to the money for nothing CD on repeat while I stared at that Les Paul.

The first time I saw a Les Paul in person was very memorable, even if it was just a bad cheap copy. I decided right there and then that I would eventually own a Les Paul. The first electric guitar I ever had was an Samick Greg Bennett Avion AV-3, which was a very Les Paul looking guitar. After I started playing in bands and joining jam sessions and the shoulders started beginning to feel the 2+ hours of playing a Les Paul, I started giving in a bit more into SGs. I never ceased to be a Les Paul guy, but now I consider myself equally an SG guy as well.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  13. Relic61

Here ya go pal...

[​IMG]

PauloQS likes this.
  14. Mattius

Mattius Member

Jake Kiszka from Greta Van Fleet aka that really controversial band that sounded like Led Zeppelin. Being a younger guy myself he inspired me to pick up my first sg that being a sad little white Epiphone one. And as soon as i got it i learned my first and favourite riff that same day although it sounded shocking haha.

15. trypeus

trypeus New Member

Anyone mentioned Zal Cleminson?

16. DRC68

DRC68 Member

Angus Young, mostly. I read where he chose the SG over the Les Paul because of the lighter weight, and he has smaller hands like me. Pretty much matches my experience as well. I just couldn't get used to the body shape of the LP and find the SG much easier to play.

17. Relic61

Did anybody besides myself simply buy your first SG because you liked the guitar?
    Enjoyed it's play-ability?
    Felt the upper fret access was wonderful?
    Liked the tones & versatility of it's pick-ups, various pick-up options & 2 Vol 2 Tone knob potential?
    Liked the Vibrola option?
    Or just essentially bought the damn guitar because it was right for you & expected it was going to be a great tool / musical instrument for you to play & express yourself on?

Those are the reasons a guitar-player, striving musician should be buying a guitar.

Sure it's ok to buy a guitar because XYZ has that guitar & yes that is just is fine. But we all know what buying something for looks, status or image is about & what it's called.

I'm just saying there are a lot of people (yes, like myself) that bought an SG because it was simply the right guitar & the right time & believed it would serve their playing needs well.

So I don't think I'm alone if I was to honestly answer the OP's question
    "SG players that made you choose the SG"
    would have to be NO musician / player MADE me choose the SG, the SG simply compelled me to buy it because of it being the wonderful instrument it really is for me.

Corporal Scratchy likes this.
  18. Tracii

Tracii New Member

Andy Cairns from Therapy? :smile:

After much trial and error, I determined that I enjoy the sound of humbuckers and a 24,75" scale length. I also like "classic" looks - a guitar needs to look familiar to my eyes. Someday I'll probably buy a Les Paul, because whenever I see one, I think of the Manic Street Preachers and Led Zeppelin; yet when I play one myself, it's always all mud and boom. :(

19. JH1968

JH1968 New Member

When I saw Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers both Tom and Mike Campbell played SGs a few times during the show. I somehow ended up in a sweet spot where I could hear the guitars clearly. I loved the sound of them and that’s when I started jonesing for one.

20. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I chose the SG based on the fact that it is the most ergonomic guitar with the best upper fret access that I have ever played.

Purchasing a guitar because one of your guitar heroes plays it...
    What may be right for someone else may not be right for you.

I’ve never understood the concept of signature guitars being mass produced for purchase by the public.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Corporal Scratchy and Relic61 like this.