SG Pro wiring query

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by KungFuRamone, Jul 24, 2020.

1. KungFuRamone

KungFuRamone New Member

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on altering / replacing electronics? I haven't much experience with modding, so want to make sure I don't do something stupid!

I have a 2018 SG Pro - so that's push/pull coil split, 500K pots, Alnico Classic Pros, and quick connects. To be clear, I have no use for the coil splitting, and would be happy to lose it.

I'm looking to replace the bridge pickup with an IronGear Alchemist 90. It has no quick connects or coil-split wiring (which I don't want anyway). What I'm wondering is, can I install this with my existing setup by by-passing the quick connects in some way, and use the existing pot but without wiring for coil-split? Or would it be simpler / better to replace the electronics, ditching the QCs & getting regular pots?

Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks.

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

The answer to all this is yes, but what you are asking is not entirely trivial for a novice. My brutal advice would be to leave it alone. If you don't want coil split, don't pull the knob, and if you don't like the present tone, play with the tone controls on the amp - you have a hundred times more adjustment range there than you would get from a pickup swap. Otherwise talk to a tech and see what he would charge.

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

There may also be various adjustments one can do before deciding whether the pickup is the wrong one or not that are a bit easier. Lowering, raising it as well as lowering raising the pole pieces. So a natural question would be, what seems to be the trouble with the pickups?

4. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

5. KungFuRamone

KungFuRamone New Member

Okay, thanks all for the feedback.

6. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

Do you have soldering equipment and knowledge of how to use it? If so it's not a huge job. If not then take it to a Tek. But I have ripped out a few of the PCB boards and replaced them with regular pots and switch. Much easier to deal with for me.

KungFuRamone likes this.
  7. sg61reissuefc

sg61reissuefc New Member

Hello, I have got an Angus Sig Pickup that is with the 5 wires, I think the previous owner may have cut the qc off. I also purchased one of those Scrinia connectors with the tiny screws. Somewhere I read that Gibson changed color codes. Or do the wires connect- Shield, Green, White, Black, Red to the Scrinia connector? In other words, On this pickup, what is each wire labeled as. Sorry to be long winded, But I really appreciate the help.

8. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

You definitely wouldn't be able to wire that Iron Gear pickup for coil split because it's a single coil. You can definitely do what you want though, and as others have mentioned above there's a few ways to approach it. What you decide would depend on your skill level and what you're comfortable with, as well as what equipment you have and know how to use. Working on a guitar's electronics is a great way to get into soldering and basic electronics because they're very simple circuits with large components.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the bridge pickup? I have a G400 Pro with those Alnico Classic Pros and I love them.

9. sg61reissuefc

sg61reissuefc New Member

10. KungFuRamone

KungFuRamone New Member

Just chasing a particular sound.

I need to replace the nut and bridge anyway (tuning ping & intonation problems), so I'll do that and experiment with pickup positioning for now. Thanks for the suggestions.

11. donepearce

Don't replace for those reasons. Tuning ping requires the nut to be filed, not replaced. And intonation problems? I presume you have run out of travel on the bridge saddles and still can't make intonation. Are the strings new? Old strings wear unevenly, and frequently can't be intonated. If this is happening on new strings, then yes, you need a bridge with more travel, like a harmonica.

12. KungFuRamone

KungFuRamone New Member

Stock nut is PVC, and if I'm going to mess about with filing then I'd rather it was on a better quality nut to start with. Tusq nut is inexpensive and it's a simple swap.

Yes, new strings, and I need more travel.

dub-setter likes this.
  13. donepearce

OK, that's fair enough.

14. Bad Penguin

Ok as far as I know, Gibson has NOT changed their color codes on their pickups. So this should help you out.
    color_codes-809x1024.jpg

sg_sta20.jpg

dub-setter likes this.
  15. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I have some Guitar Madness HB size P90s in another SG copy I have and they sound great, not quite like real P90s but close enough for me.

I had the same issue with my G400 Pro, swapped to a Gotoh Nashville style (and a Tusq nut) and she intonates and holds tune perfectly now.

KungFuRamone likes this.
  16. KungFuRamone

KungFuRamone New Member

Good to know, I've got the same items ordered & just waiting for them to arrive! Hopefully will do the trick.

17. sg61reissuefc

sg61reissuefc New Member

Thanks so much this is a great help!

18. TChalms

TChalms New Member

If you're not in love with the guitar, why not see what it's worth on the market? You might then be able to get what you're looking for and have some change leftover. It seems to me that modding it as you ask would not help the value.

Let me put it this way, it makes sense to mod a lousy guitar, but it doesn't make any sense (to me) to mod a great guitar.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  19. KungFuRamone

KungFuRamone New Member

True, but I currently think it's a good guitar that could benefit from some minor changes. I'll sort out the nut & bridge, try some pickup adjustments, and take it from there.

dub-setter likes this.
  20. Bad Penguin

For me, I have the same guitar, and despised the pickups and the nut. And yes, when I used the push/pulls, they pulled out into my hand. Other then those three issues, yeah it had the feeling of a great guitar, that sounded like crap. We all customized the guitars we love, to be what we need them to become. (Pickups I used... Alinco 8 humbuckers from China. GREAT pickups for 20 bucks.)

KungFuRamone likes this.