SG project guitar. Help needed to ID date.

Kcaccavaro

Reaction score
I just picked up an SG at a local auction. Unfortunately it’s been stripped of the electronics and some knucklehead spray painted it white. The good news is it has the original tuners and knobs in a bag.
Bad news. The neck broke off at the heel and it was repaired with a handful of wood screws and caulking! Ouch. All that being said, The rest is solid , the neck is straight and the frets still have plenty of life. I think it’d be worth the effort to bring this baby back to life.
I’m hoping to get some help nailing down the year of Mfg. The SN 518864 stamped on the back of the headstock is either 1965 or 1968 according to the Decoder. I’ve been on Google all day and think I’m leaning towards 1968 based on the evidence of a Batwing pick guard, but the knobs are the earlier top hat style and the heel has a definite step at the joint.
I know Gibson is famously inconsistent so are there any other signs I could look for to help date the year?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Kevin C.

sh944

Reaction score
The neck joint will Tell the story. I am sure somewhere on this site you can find pictures that show each.

sorry to link another site but this might help…

Last edited:

Colnago

Reaction score
Give us some pictures and we will be able to tell what it is.

Latest posts