SG Red

redhouse

Reaction score
I'm trying to mix a matching color for a pickup route fix, I have a nice (fairly) matching filler piece and I've been trying to mix a toner/color into laquer to match the Gibson SG red. This is a newer SG that has the dark red (I call wine red).

I have TransTint dies at the moment, anyone here (cough, cough, Lou?) done any TransTint and might share some recipie (drops/per/oz) or such?

I've had great success with TransTint dyes but mostly on lighter woods (Maple, Ash, Korina) but I've never tried to do Mahogany, and never tried to match an existing finish color like this darker red SG color.

Anybody?

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I used to play with an old time fiddler who was also a respected luthier specializing in the violin family of instruments. He had to be able to color match finishes that had a gradient (similar to a burst finish on a guitar but not quite the same thing).

Some things I know from talking with him:

1) There is no such thing as a recipe or formula that always works. You can't really share a formula since every instrument will age differently. Even a can of the exact finish they used when they made the guitar won't match after a few years of age and exposure.

2) When matching colors, do all your trial and error evaluations (judging) in direct sunlight, test repeatedly on similar wood, and let it dry completely before deciding if the match is "good enough".
I have seen my friend take as much as a week and a half to color match a stain before actually applying any finish to a repaired top on an expensive fiddle that was coming up on 200 years old.

3) When in doubt, err on the side of being "not dark enough". You can darken a finish with another application much more easily than trying to lighten one that is already too dark.

Last edited:

redhouse

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your response and advice GoNigelGo.

Anyone else have any experience mixing (SG Red) that might want to share some info with me?

Last edited:

Colnago

Reaction score
I had a Robot Sg and it had a strange chip out of the back that I repaired with multiple shades of nail polish. It worked out great after a lot of trial and error as the lacquer melted together with the original and made for a near seamless repair.
Maybe try nail polish instead? There are a lot of red colours to choose from and mix together and it’s easy to work with and thin out if needed.
I haven’t used what you’re using, sorry.

Latest posts