SG Scale Length?

jtees4

Reaction score
Wow I never realized there was such a variety in construction.

When I got my first set neck SG - Epi G400 worn brown in 2016? I think, - the neck feeling so far off to my left put me off the guitar for several years.
I wanted to love it, so I didnt sell it. My son played it for a couple of years.
Thats why I drifted away from this site.

A couple or so years ago I came back to it and it was love at first feel.
I have a 490T on deck for the bridge but the Guitar Madness '59 set in it is pretty darn good.
Play it regularly now.

Interesting. My main guitar right now is a 2011 Gibson SG Special. I have a Guitar Madness '59 in the neck and a 490T in the bridge....I love the GM pickup for the neck. I did have the set with the GM bridge pickup, but didn't like it as much as the 490T. But as a set, it sounds better than the Original 490 set. People always ask me what my neck pup is, sometimes I tell them, sometimes I don't...but I NEVER tell them that it was so freakin' cheap.

Petter1Murse

Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think from 1970 or 1971 to 1991 on SG Standards (non-reissues) the neck is set futher into the body (joint at 18th fret) and also neck pickup is right next to the fretboard like in LPs and 335s etc. Scale length would be close to that 24 3/4" with some variation over the years.
Cool thing (at least for me 'cause I happen to have an '85:)) about SGs from 1982 to 1991 is that they got rid of the neck volute from 70's and the neck would also be a solid one piece mahogany construction unlike 70's necks.

Latest posts