SG set up details (and installation of lighter strings)

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by LiamWilliam77, Oct 16, 2020.

1. LiamWilliam77

LiamWilliam77 New Member

Hi,

I have a 61' SG I really like and I use to play it so far with optiweb 10-46 strings.

The set up quite is good when I play solo, single note or light riffs, but the strings are slapping on the fretboard when I go into more dynamic rhythm playing

As for the action at the 12th frets, I have :
    1,5mm on the low E string
    1mm on the high e string

(ok, now that I am measuring to report here, it seems very low indeed :hmm:. )
    I guess I shall be able to survive with a slightly higher action.

May I ask some of you who are use to setting up their SG on your ideal set up details?

I would also like to change my string gauge down to 9 to ease a bit my bending, so I might need to set a slightly higher action because of this eventually.

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

The lowest I can set without fret buzz in my normal playing style. Forget measurements, they are meaningless.

NMA, Biddlin, koaguilds and 3 others like this.
  3. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

1mm to 1.5mm is about as low as one can get without fretting out. Switch to the 9s and if needed raise the bridge a small amount on each side and recheck. Shouldn't need too much of a lift.

4. Rhomco

Rhomco New Member

Low action is actually much harder to bend because your fingers can't get under the strings enough. You have to compensate by using more force. Low action effects string tone negatively. Try setting your neck relief to near flat. Set your action to .070 at the 16th fret.

Goldtone likes this.
  5. donepearce

Once you are bending the string, you re already touching the frets, so action doesn't enter the picture. It's the height of the frets themselves that determines how easy it is to bend strings - that and the string gauge, of course.

Dave likes this.
  6. Marky Forrest

Marky Forrest New Member

Same here.

7. Darryl Fisher

Darryl Fisher New Member

Whatever feels right...

8. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

Mine are just above slapping on chords.
    Seems to work well all around for me, with 10-50’s

9. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

Actual measurements on electrics for me are just a starting point. On a Gibson, I'll move the #6 saddle as far back as it will go. Lower the bridge till it intonates. That's my starting point. If you want you're action lower, you'll need to move the saddle forward to intonate.

10. Goldtone

Goldtone Member

exactly this

11. Goldtone

Goldtone Member

Yes but the way your finger starts out on the string is different. With higher action you can get “under” the string before it hits the fret and have good meat to bend it. Lower action this gets difficult to the point where you “roll” the string rather then get “under” it

Bending is a fluid thing...you don’t press straight down on the string, hit the fret, and then bend. You come into the bend just before you hit the fret.

12. donepearce

If you are "under" the string before it hits the fret, then you are not going to fret it cleanly. Analyse what you are doing carefully, and you will find that the very first thing that happens is that string hits fret.

13. Goldtone

Goldtone Member

Your right!

:shock:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020 at 7:27 PM
  14. donepearce

I see exactly what I described. and do try to bend all the way up to the note - you re stopping well flat.

15. Goldtone

Goldtone Member

If you push into your bends you’ll correct that issue you’re describing “well flat”. Feel your bends and be fluid.

if you examine closely what happens when you bend you’ll understand it isn’t as “robotic” as you describe. You don’t hit the fret perpendicular at 90 degrees...there’s an ever so slight arc. The term”getting your finger under the string” refers to the attack and getting the meat of your finger pushing up on the string.

when action is low, and if you have robot style attack, you’re finger is more on top of the string working very hard to push it into a bend.

16. donepearce

OK, here's what I do when I bend a note - and it really isn't robotic. Rather than fretting dead centre on the string, I put my finger below it, so most of the fingertip is on the fretboard on one side of the string. That way, when I push there is no tendency for my finger to roll or slide off the string, and I can push a long way. If I am bending far - a couple of full tones, I will use more than one finger - perhaps as many as three. And then I listen. The note that matters is the one I arrive at, and it has to be right - not sharp or flat. Once I am there and established I can modulate the pitch with finger pressure to get vibrato. I've been studying what I do, and I find that my bends are 99% pushed up, with just a few pulled down. That sort of depends on what and where the next note will be.

17. Goldtone

Goldtone Member

What you described is what we all call “getting under the string”

so...we’re all saying the same thing

18. donepearce

No we aren't. The only way you "get under" a string is if there is enough clearance below the string. It's the reason why violin players have to use longitudinal vibrato. They can't bend a string. Same goes for fretless guitars. Once a string is fretted there is zero action - it is on the frets. The only height you have available is the fret height. Tall frets make for easier bending. This stuff about "coming in at an angle" is wishful thinking. The first touch on the string frets it, and none of your finger goes underneath.

19. Goldtone

Goldtone Member

There is no difference in what we are saying, there is only desire not to understand. Do you really think the term “getting under the string” is literal?

music is feel and fluidity...the use of a microscope is not necessary

I’m sure you’ll agree we’ve sidetracked the OP’s thread long enough

Have a wonderful day

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020 at 1:05 PM
  20. donepearce

Read the thread again. And if you think that adding a snide "Have a wonderful day" to your posts is a sensible way to proceed, you are going to find a lot of "ignore" flags coming your way.