SG Special/490T, 490R Samples?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by angus, Jan 7, 2007.

1. randyrhoadslives13

randyrhoadslives13 Member

nothings gonna go wrong if you know how to use a soldering iron possobly. and actually, i dont care for gibsons pickups at all, i'm just too lazy and dont have the money to change them out at the moment becuase i have all my money saved up for either a new bass or a new acoustic guitar... dont know which one to get :-\

2. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

Yeah. Angus loves those Gibson stock pickups.... So someone explaine why he had a signature pickup made for him by Gibson? Im not sure if you can buy em anymore... Anyone try burstbuckers in an SG? I wonder how they would sound. Im happy with the 498t in my standard... If I got another SG id go for 57 classics or Iommi's. I think the 57's in a supreme sound great (with the maple top and all)

3. chuck

chuck Member

what exactly does the term 'muddy' mean? personally i really like the way the stock special pups sound

4. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[quote author=chuck link=topic=11904.msg155181#msg155181 date=1168294093]
    what exactly does the term 'muddy' mean? personally i really like the way the stock special pups sound
    [/quote]

It means that the sound lacks definition. For example if you play a C chord, and then switch to a C7 or a C minor and you don't hear much of a difference because that extra note gets lost. Thats my definition of it anyways.

5. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

I love the sound of the 490T so much, then had the 490R rewired, and I love it!

I agree with Angus Young, not because he's Angus though....

If a guitar doesn't sound good right out, it isn't worth my money.

6. the bacon

the bacon Member

[quote author=chuck link=topic=11904.msg155181#msg155181 date=1168294093]
    [/quote]

ive wondered that also. i also wonder what "creamy" is supossedto mean. last timei checked,cream didnt have a sound.

7. angus

angus Active Member

[quote author=74 Jailbreak link=topic=11904.msg155188#msg155188 date=1168295089]
    I love the sound of the 490T so much, then had the 490R rewired, and I love it!

I agree with Angus Young, not because he's Angus though....

If a guitar doesn't sound good right out, it isn't worth my money.
    [/quote]
    I agree

8. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[quote author=the bacon link=topic=11904.msg155194#msg155194 date=1168296440]

ive wondered that also. i also wonder what "creamy" is supossedto mean. last timei checked,cream didnt have a sound.
    [/quote]

:wave2:

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=11904.msg155184#msg155184 date=1168294430]

It means that the sound lacks definition. For example if you play a C chord, and then switch to a C7 or a C minor and you don't hear much of a difference because that extra note gets lost. Thats my definition of it anyways.
    [/quote]

Creamy usually means thick and saturated, but at the same time smooth. All these words relating to tone are subjective though since different people hear and perceive things differently.

9. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

If you want to know what Cream sounds like, take a drive to Best Buy and look in the CD section...

10. cog

cog Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=11904.msg155210#msg155210 date=1168299657]
    All these words relating to tone are subjective though since different people hear and perceive things differently.
    [/quote]

When we were recording our album, our engineer said the same thing.. he was glad we weren't using terms like, "make it punchier/warmer/smoother sounding" since it really doesn't mean one single thing to everyone; like there's not "punchier" button on the console or anything... of course, we were using more obscure terms like "make the guitars sound like bees with nails for stingers" and "make the rhythm guitar sound like it's two, maybe two and a half blocks away"

..so not much more descriptive, but maybe he just liked the change. :)