SG Special Faded with Moon... getting Gassy

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by syscokid, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Sonny

Sonny New Member

The crescent moon inlay SG came out in 2002 with ebony fret board , they kept ebony for the 2003 model but replaced the crescent moons with dots after it's debut year. The 2002 and 2003 are now considered collectors items and experts project in five or so years their price could hit $2000 -$5000 depending on the condition.

2. sazista

sazista Active Member

Get it. I will be slightly thining the neck on mine to make it a tad closer to the G310 which is a blade neck. The faded does what all the other Standards do. Good price. The ebony is very nice and bright. And at that price i wouldn't even haggle over the discount for the toggle, just buy it. You can put 20 bucks into a switch...don't lose the deal to to someone else because of that. you are getting a case , which nobody offers!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    From your post to a buyer's ear......who are these experts? I need specifics, man..................

4. sazista

sazista Active Member

I just noticed that this was posted in 2016!! Are we going back to the future to help this guy?

5. Biddlin

Shhh, don't mention necroposts. It upsets some of the gallery, too much.

6. sazista

sazista Active Member

Yeah, I know the dangers, but I am just curious. I think it is helpful to respond to old posts with helpful info that answers the original question, because many folks come looking for answers years after the fact. But I want to know if this guy bought the guitar!

syscokid likes this.
  7. sazista

sazista Active Member

So, now that we see it is an old post, what happened? Did you buy it? Tell us, show us, wow us!!!

8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

ARISE FROM THE DEAD, OH THREAD... (cue up the zombie music)

But some of what's said in this thread is valid, and can be enjoyed by all.
    A few things need repeating:

Crescent Moon SGs are very cool, but aren't likely to be valued over $2000 very soon.

•The Gibson SG faded special is one of the best guitars they ever made... light, fast
    and comfortable... killer tone, great balance... hard to beat. Most are made with regular
    rosewood fretboard. The ones with Ebony are like a Gibson SG extra Special... just a little more of
    the cool factor. The ones with Crescent Moon inlays didn't sell because of anti-Muslim
    prejudice in those times, which was bullshit then and is bullshit now. I think they are lovely
    American guitars.

•Shaving the neck of a fine Gibson so that it resembles an inexpensive Epiphone seems insane to me.
    Send that Gibson to ME, and I'll play it as designed without ruining it. I'll send you enough money to buy yourself a pair of Epiphone 310s and we'll both be happy. Get a red one and a black one or whatever
    colors you like. But don't try and turn your Gibson SG into one. That's bass-ackwards...

•I'm not convinced that an Ebony fingerboard gives a lot of tonal signature.
    That discussion seems to go on and on, but also seems to remain civil and friendly. I don't think I own
    any guitar with ebony, so what do I know? Rosewood seems fine and attractive, but vulnerable to fingernail
    gouging... Is ebony harder and more durable under the raggedy black-rimmed nails of the unwashed punk or the enameled and extended nails of the fashionable, manicured guitarist?

The world wonders...

•Also, has it occurred here often ...that somebody posts a link to an excellent public deal on a fine SG
    HERE, ON THIS FORUM because they aren't sure if it's a good deal or not, and the before all the peanut
    gallery can chime in with a chorus of "do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it..." one of our
    more decisive and opportunistic members has quickly snapped up the deal and it's no longer
    offered? I've seen that happen (only) once here, and the OP was highly pissed about it too.

Is that frowned upon by ETSG consensus?

Raiyn likes this.
  9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

But anyway, OH SEEESCO... did you ever buy that SG, or lose the deal
    through courtin' too slow?

10. sazista

sazista Active Member

Good response! I do though not think that modding the neck a bit is absurd. Resembling an inexpensive guitar doesn't mean it is a negative, in my opinion. I think baseball bat necks are horrible (for me). The G310 neck, similar to the Gibson 61 RI is very nice. I don't need another one. I won't shave it down, but slightly sand, little by little do get that uncomfortable shoulder off, that pains the joint of my thumb. I really dislike it. All of my guitars since 1980 have had thin, blade necks. My favorite back then was the Dan Armstrong blade neck. They also made a fat bat neck, which I didn't like.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to go out and just buy another guitar. What I'm going to do is make this faded more comfortable because I realize I'll have this guitar for a long time and it has attributes that I can work with. I possess only 2 guitars. But I understand why you'd think it was insane. Don't worry, I won't mutilate it and nobody would even notice the difference other than myself. I'll send pictures when it is done.

11. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I did buy it. November 13, 2016. At post #42 is where I start posting with pics and more info because it's in my possession. The guitar turned out to be a fun investment.

A few months ago, I added open pickup covers to give a more finished look:
    Open Covers (1).JPG

Open Covers (2).JPG

12. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

left to right - 2003 2003 2004 Faded
    far right - 2000 Gloss
    All have ebony boards, but the Faded are my favorite...

[​IMG]

13. sazista

sazista Active Member

Wow. You are a true "Special" man: not a Standard in the bunch! The mustard one is also a Faded? I'm drooling over the creamy one! It looks like my G310. Funny that you mentioned the open covers, because just today I was searching for open humbucker covers online to see if I could get them in Chile. What kind is yours?
    I was looking at this video.

This guy puts out some nice videos.
    Your SG is worn at the same part of the bevel as mine. Pic attached.

Attached Files:

14. Biddlin

Fixed that for you.

15. Biddlin

44 years as a guitar tech has taught me that most attempts at reshaping a neck result in less than satisfactory results. I hope your optimism is borne out.

16. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I really do like Specials. The Worn Yellow (mustard) is a Faded. The Cream SG with ebony board could not be passed up when I found it.

syscokid likes this.
  17. sazista

sazista Active Member

Please explain. I would like to hear your experience and understand why you think sanding a neck would result in an unsatisfactory shape. thanks.

18. Biddlin

Most hobbyists take more material away than intended.

19. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

20. sazista

sazista Active Member

Well i guess i am safe... i am not a hobbyist at anything, except for being a member of ETSG. ;) thanks anyhow. Anybody else out there have personal success/failure stories about reshaping a neck?