SG Special Faded with Moon... getting Gassy

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by syscokid, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I still think it's a bad idea... If you don't like the neck on a guitar,
    sell it to someone who does, and buy what you want. Gibson SG necks are all fast and comfortable. Don't ruin yours by trying to turn it into something that it's not... that's my suggestion.
    Honor it for what it is, and play it the way it was designed.
    SGs are the best.

I'm a person who is certain that the human hand can play any
    instrument from a mandolin or ukulele to a double bass, with no problems. I'm certain that the human hand can do this because
    I've seen it done. I play guitar and bass myself, and many of my friends play all these instruments at will, one after another. Guitar, violin, Mandolin, banjo, bass, dulcimer... we just play them all with no problems.

This is just my opinion of course, but I can't understand why someone would object so fiercely to a difference of a few millimeters of wood. I own four electric guitars now, and three acoustics, and they all have different necks. *shrugs
    I never think about that, I just play them.

But I'm obviously in the minority on a guitar forum, because a lot of forum posts are devoted to obsessive-seeming discussions of neck shapes. My contribution to a discussion like that is to say that if you keep your thumb behind the neck, then the shape
    becomes unimportant, AND the size of your hand becomes unimportant... and your fingers can reach as far or near
    as they need to, whether your hand is large or small, and whether your guitar neck is thinner or thicker. *shrugs...
    ...that's just my experience.

This opinion always seems very unpopular. So I offer it
    while admitting this. You may find many others who will agree
    with you. That's okay with me. I just write what I think, and nobody has to agree.

AND... it's your guitar. Nothing that I have to say will change
    that. You get to make up your own mind, like we all do. And others on this thread get to make up theirs. Sometimes when I write posts like this, I'm thinking of the OP as well as others who may be looking for opinions, so they can make up their own minds too. No offense is ever intended.

syscokid and Biddlin like this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I’m one of those that is particular about neck profiles. Playing thin necks for any extended period of time causes my hand to cramp due to having longer fingers. That is why I require baseball bat necks with the full width nut (1-11/16) and lots of shoulder to have something to grab hold of. The difference between a 61 RI neck and 2016 Special Faded is night and day to me.

Why force yourself to be uncomfortable when you have options?

Col Mustard likes this.
  3. Col Mustard

too true...

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. sazista

sazista Active Member

Thanks for your responses. To keep it short, if i were more financially fit, i would buy a 61 RI, great neck. No more bat neck. End of story

cerebral gasket and Biddlin like this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Just for guits and shiggles, I did a little blindfold test and I could tell the difference between a 61 RI and and a Special, only by the heel. I don't have spec sheet in front of me, but a rough measurement shows about .025" difference in thickness at the 22nd fret. I made this comparison with with an 09 61 RI and an 03 faded Special. While the difference is small, I can understand the discomfort. What is of some concern to me is that the shape of the heel is different because one neck joins the body at fret 19 and the other at fret 22 so the shape will never be exactly the same. Also consider that the tolerances for these things vary due to hand finishing, etc. so measurable variances can be found among "slim taper" necks.

syscokid and cerebral gasket like this.
  6. sazista

sazista Active Member

Yes there are variances as i noted a couple of years ago in LA where i tried numerous SGs and found only 3 that i liked: RI, a G310, and some other one from 2005.

7. Col Mustard

Plus 1 on that, I regard that instrument as another one of Gibson's best... So I agree with you and feel the same way...
    tho for me it's not about the neck, it's about the quality of this model of SG.
    I would love to have one of those. Lucky me, I seem to have bonded well with my two SG specials
    and their excellent necks. So I don't have to shell out heavy money for the '61, as much as I admire them.

Good choice for nearly anyone, IMHO. But to me, my good ol' SG special faded is right up there with the
    best, which is why I like this thread. My faded doesn't have the ebony fretboard, but I love the neck on it
    anyway.

Watch for the Gibson SG Faded special RE-ISSUE, with a limited run of the ebony-board and
    crescent moon inlays by subscription only. Who'll guess at the price for one of them?

8. sazista

sazista Active Member

I take it back. If I had money to burn, I would by the Roxy model, hands down! THEN, problem solved.