SG Special Pickup Spacing

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by h4ck.b0x7, May 27, 2021.

1. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 New Member

Any idea why the USA SG Special has a wider pickup spacing?

8679AA95-4739-4269-BC88-209F63A59A7B.jpeg 57D5922A-98F6-40D3-9DF1-745CAE8C7190.jpeg

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Guessing they have to keep the CS and regular production line models different.

There's no reason why they can't build a historically accurate reissue of any original SG model on the regular production line. Before the CS existed and reissues were a thing, all guitars were regular production line guitars.

Pictured below is a real 1963 SG Special.

[​IMG]

PermissionToLand and dub-setter like this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

One thing for sure, it will be more trebly with the bridge pickup closer to the bridge. Maybe even less growl.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

A smart move with a P90. Even with an A2 in the bridge, mine are very bright.

5. Tom Dickinson

Tom Dickinson New Member

I purchased the Epiphone version of this guitar. Got mine 'used' frim a guy who just didn't like it and gave him $300 for it. I think ee'new' aaqed c ex they're running just north of $400. Anyway, from a build standpoint I think it matches the 'original' in almost every aspect. Epi uses the mustash headstock, bound neck, button tunersx c qqe , wrap bridge, and even the locations of puckups and controls. Unfortunately, mine is Pelham Blue, which I had originally thought I might strip off and attempt some kind of refinish. But I have to admit, its kinda growing on me. While I love the guitar, and even the neck configuration, I gotta say that the pickups in this thing were about the worse set Ive ever had from Epiphone! I mean these things were terrible!! The remaining electrics are OK, but the Pups had to go!! So, as of last night I played around with 3 different sets, and finally ended up with a set of P-90s from a PRS. Dont know if these are the answer long term or not, but for now they're a damn sight better than the OE units. Im considering some Duncan Mini-humbuckers with the Wilkenson adapters if thats not too much of a travisty. But, in all, this is a really nice option if your budget wont support a $-4 digit purchase. Other than the pickups, thus is about as fine an instrument as I've ever seen with the Epi brand on it!!

neoclassical likes this.
  6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

"ee'new' aaqed c ex" "x c qqe"
    Can anyone translate this for me?
    :shock:

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    neoclassical, TChalms and Go Nigel Go like this.
  8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

If you say it out loud, it sound like Inuit. I think it means Pelham Blue ice.

WHAT ? Epiphone P90 are very x c qqe to their Gibson sibblings. Have you ee'new' with their aaqed c ex height any ?

But seriously, if you're gonna trash them, just send them my way.

PermissionToLand, TChalms and Biddlin like this.
  9. Tom Dickinson

Tom Dickinson New Member

Sorry guys. Peckin' on the cell phone produces some odd results some times. I try to go back and proof read, but sometimes I just forget or run out of time.

10. TChalms

TChalms Member

OK. But what did you mean to type? Help me out here, I'm lost.

11. neoclassical

neoclassical New Member

I'll trade my epi p90's, they aren't quite what I'm looking for.

12. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

At first I thought it was written in navajo language but now I think it's just an autocorrect typo. He meant to say "Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang". You'll have to consult a witch doctor for the specific prescription that conveys.

Biddlin and Go Nigel Go like this.