SG standard mods

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by calibre2001, Apr 21, 2005.

1. calibre2001

calibre2001 New Member

Hi All,

I have 2003 SG Standard that I think kicks ass. Just wondering what are the typical mods that people do unto these things for improved playability, tone , etc.....would appreciate your feedback with details i.e changing tuners to brand X tuners etc

I can only think of a few: tuners, strap locks etc

Thanks.

2. Guitar3dt

Guitar3dt Member

hey there calibre,

from what i've seen, there's a whole slew of things you can do to customize yourself into oblivion.....! i know that CharlieB is always emphasizing that the tuners don't need to be changed, and I'd tend to agree with him. in my opinion, a tuner's a tuner. the only time they don't keep tune, is when they're not working (not often the case). they either do what they're meant to do, or they don't, so the tuners really aren't worth changing.

what you can change however, that'll provide a much more noticeable difference are the pickups, pots, caps, etc.... that stuff is much more influential (totally) in the sound that you'll get from the guitar. i'm relatively new to all of this, so don't put too much stock in my opinion, but just trying to help out a bit. :)

3. calibre2001

calibre2001 New Member

Hey thanks mate.

I just changed the saddles on my Tele to brass ones and was very pleased with the changes. That's what prompted me to ponder the same for my SG. Hehe I find it lacking in versatility these days.

4. ess

ess Guest

RS kit. bone nut. lightweight stop bar. witch hat knobs :lol: nice sheilding in cavity. plek job on frets. voila cool guit!

5. calibre2001

calibre2001 New Member

6. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member