SG Standard Observation

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Noise Punk, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Noise Punk

Noise Punk New Member

I've had my new SG Standard for about a month now, and I've been playing the thing nonstop. It is the first guitar that I have ever owned that I have not felt the urge to upgrade or change anything. I am usually compelled to upgrade pickups (as I've done with all my other guitars), but I am perfectly content with my SG. I was originally thinking that I'd want to get a set of burstbuckers in there, but the stock pups are awesome.

I've been primarily a Fender guy for about 18 years, but I am now a Gibson convert. I only wish I had bought this guitar years ago because it's truly the sound I've been searching for. My SG rocks. I don't know how any other guitar could rock as much as my SG.[/img]

2. jigman

jigman Member

Wow Noise Punk- You sound exactly like my posts. I also was a fender guy for 20+yrs. I also just figured upgrading was just a fact of guitar life as it was always that way with fenders. I always thought that I'd run down and get some bbucker pro's or 57's but that motivation has never become great and has gone out the window the longer I have my STD. I got mine in February 2005. I have complained in previous posts that it took me 46 years (my age) to finally find the perfect and most rockinest axe. But, ina another way its kind of cool cuz it has re-energized me and improved my playing. The SG STD has taken me out of the doldrums and elevated my skill level. It was worth the wait and good timing.

3. guitarshred

guitarshred Guest

I agree. My Standard is perfect in every way. I couldn't imagine needing to change anything on it. I did have some tuning problems which was quickly rectified with new strings and adjusting my intonation...other than that, I plan to keep it just like it is.

Shred :twisted:

4. famousguy

famousguy Member

SGs are my favorite guitar, but I gotta say when i'm gonna play clean I usually reach for my strat (hides)

5. jigman

jigman Member

I love the SG clean sound ala Angus Young into a marshall with nothing between him and his axe cept some guitar cable...that is the most awesome clean tone.

6. damian

damian Member

i gotta agree with jigman i changed pickups so many times on my strats searching for a sound in my head and when i got my sg i thought i would do the same for sure. i just dig that 498 the more i play it, at first, i was thinking it was way too midrangey but after my first gig i realized that's what finally got me through the mix, never again will i be buried by my lead players les paul. sg's may not be the cleanest but i've owned/played alot of guitars and amps and i haven't found anything like my sg standard and jcm800 its instant f@#$in rock n roll

7. ZubinSG

ZubinSG Member

after reading this thread i went and started playing on my sg

8. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Apples and Oranges? :?

9. balboa

balboa Member

yea i dont think there is any guitar that can come close to what my standard can do. its easy to play up the neck and anyother guitar that is that easy is really heavy or awkward feeling for me. i like my strat a lo but its not close to my Standard

10. Ponec

Ponec Member

If a person likes the Fender single coil sound and SGs I would highly recommend that they try out something like the SG Classic with P90s. I sold my Strat after picking up one because I never touched it afterward. I had no reason to. Nothing wrong with Strats mind you it's just that the P90s have a "fatter" sound and they are in an SG. :p

JMHO

[​IMG]

-Ron

11. balboa

balboa Member

i really want a classic but i have like 10 bucks to my name. are they completely discontinued?

12. Chris

Chris Member

We still make a few here and there; for Musician's Friend I think.

13. SG100%

SG100% Member

I started by playing Fenders as well. Then I got a Les Paul Standard :oops: Then I got an SG Standard :D Then I got a '61 Reissue SG :D :D Then I bought a Les Paul '68 Reissue Custom and sold all my Fenders, The Les Paul Standard, and my SG's :cry: Then I bought a new '61 Reissue SG, a reissue SG/Les Paul with Maestro, SG Classic and a Strat (over a period of time of course - and a lot of overtime at work to boot. :p :p So I guess my philosophy is modify nothing - just buy another SG with different features!!! The classic is the closest thing you can get to the Strat sound, and it's a great deal at $849. Plus it's an SG! I love the sound of a Strat, but when I'm playing live, I'm reaching for an SG everytime. By the way, I LOVE this site and forum. Now where are those white SG's???

14. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG SG100%! :D :D :D

The only problem I see with your guit history, is you now don't have a whole stable of guits.... what ever they are.......! :cry:

15. SG100%

SG100% Member

Sure I do sixstring, 3 SG's (to date), a Les Paul Custom, a Strat and a Showmaster. I just went about it in a less than cost efficient manner. No more selling, just buying!!! :D

16. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Goooood call! Only way to go..............! 8) 8) 8)

17. BAREKNUCKLESG

BAREKNUCKLESG Member

Overtime..Overtime..Overtime=Guitars :)

18. Noise Punk

Noise Punk New Member

Here are my guitars.

American Standard Tele, SG Standard, 1973 Tele Deluxe, and Epi LP Standard. The SG sounds and plays better than all of them. I love all my guitars, but my SG is amazing!

[​IMG][/img]

19. paradox

paradox Active Member

Thats one sweet collection NP!!! That tele deluxe looks damn cool...

20. Noise Punk

Noise Punk New Member

Hey, thanks, man. Yeah, the Tele Deluxe is a great guitar. The neck is a little large for my tastes, but it sounds sooooo good. Those original wide range humbuckers are amazing. I got a great deal on the guitar too, and it's in surprisingly good condition. All original too. It needed a refret, so I had that done. Glad I did too because now it's much more playable. The original Tele Deluxes keep going up in value too, which is really cool.

[​IMG]