SG Standard Owners, I need some opinons!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by 74 Jailbreak, Mar 30, 2008.

1. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

Hey all!

Before I begin, yes I do already own 5 guitars. I understand that this is insane at the age of 15, but before you complain, all of my guitars were worked for, other than my '61 Reissue, which was a gift from the afterlife through my grandma (more on this if there is interest). So please no "spoiled" comments, because I get it enough.

Anywho! Down to brass tacks. I thoroughly enjoy all of my guitars whenever I have the time to. My '61 RI and SG Special are my workhorses. I am an SG man at heart, and I figured 2 years ago that I was done with buying guitars. However, on my weekly trip to the local music store for my lessons, I spotted a stunning SG Standard. Stunning natural burst, just polished... :Droolin: :Droolin: Stop me!

I talked some sense into myself. "There's no need for another!" I told myself. Besides, if it has similar pups to my Special, it couldn't add to much tonal diversity to my stable, could it? My god, I've never been so wrong. I was fortunate enough to be able to take it home for a test drive with my own rig, because I am very close with the owner and the other workers.

My sweet lord, it was tone city. I just returned it today, but it gave me as much pleasure as my '61 RI did the first time I played it. It's as perfect as the 61, just a different type of perfection. I am lusting after this thing so badly.

So tell me, should I save up for it? Put cash down so they don't sell it? Sell my Mexican Strat (which I barely use) to get it more quickly? Clear my head and realize I don't need another axe? How well do you other Standard owners like you SGs?

2. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

Sell the Mex Strat and go for the Standard! Can't think of a reason you would regret it. With the price of Gibsons rising faster than any stock, think of it as an investment in your retirement and how many 15 year olds have started a retirement plan? Just think when you are 55 and SG Standards are selling for $1,000,000. At least that is one reason I buy Gibsons. Buying 2nd hand is even a better investment. O0

3. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

4. WontGetFooled

WontGetFooled Member

I would recommend waiting a couple months while saving money and see how you feel about it then. If you're "lusting" after it like you said, then you might lose interest or come to your senses by then. ;)

5. smk506

smk506 Member

I would say keep the strat if it's a good one. I'm not saying dont get the standard, just keep the strat. It fills a sonic nitch a new sg no matter how nice wont fill. Now if we were talking about an sg classic, that would be another story. That would round out the sg collection nicely

6. stuugi

stuugi Member

You have to do what you feel is best. I doubt that you would "need" that, but that's not the point.

7. GibsonWarrior

GibsonWarrior Member

Just a suggestion but why not move the Special on and get the Standard instead??, like you say they both cover similar ground so maybe that would be an ideal way to keep things level, you could keep the strat and perhaps save for the difference in upgrade. I stupidly sold my 2005 Standard a little while back and im looking to replace it soon.

You then have room in your collection for a Classic or 67 RI at a later date.................

8. Beatnik57

Beatnik57 Member

[quote author=74 Jailbreak link=topic=16648.msg209165#msg209165 date=1206916497]
    Hey all!

... Besides, if it has similar pups to my Special, it couldn't add to much tonal diversity to my stable, could it? ...[/quote]

Jailbreak - the Standard uses the same neck pup as your special, but a 498T bridge pup instead of a 490. Most people agree this gives it a noticeably different tone. I'd suggest if you're sure you prefer the Standard's tone that you sell your Special. First of all, you'd probably get more for it than the Mexi-Strat, and second of all, even though you don't play the Strat that much now, if you like the way it plays, you might find yourself playing a lot of stuff down the road where you really want that single coil strat tone.

9. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

I say if you get that excited about a piece of music gear then you should get it! If you dont get it then you will regret not getting it and if you get it and grow out of it you can sell it for 100+% of your money back.... right? ... Now... Since we all agree that my advice is good.... I also advise you to buy me one too.... :D

10. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=TattooedCarrot link=topic=16648.msg209175#msg209175 date=1206921197]
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

:Droolin:

schwing!

11. mharker

mharker Member

You have plenty of high quality gear. Not to mention if you're so in with the store guys, you can always just borrow the stuff and get your fix.

As I approach middle age, I don't look back and wish I bought more stuff. I wish I partied more as a teen instead of working and saving for stuff that's long gone now.

I'd say don't buy the guitar and (a) work less and have more fun or (b) do some fun things with your dough. Take a trip or party with your friends. Trust me once you're out working you'll have plenty of cash for all this stuff.

Not a popular response on a guitar board but you asked for opinions!

12. Schtang

Schtang New Member

I own a naturalburst - to me they are the nicest looking SG Standards. Tone a plenty. I'd sell the mex strat and put the money towards the naturalburst (IMO I think the naturalburst colour will be dropped in the near future, so get it now).

[img width=411 height=480]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg38/Schtang/SG_web.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=480]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg38/Schtang/SGplaying2_web.jpg[/img]

13. nvosmeier

nvosmeier New Member

Selling the MIM strat isn't going to help much. If you are lucky, you might get $300.00. They sell for $399.00 brand new. If you trade it in you will probably only get $250.00.

I would just buy the SG Std outright. (It is a work of art) If you can't afford it, or if it will take too long, then sell/trade your SG Special.

14. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

If you do go for it, I'd suggest trying to add it rather then a sell/trade to avoid possible seller remorse laster. UNLESS whatever you decide to part with just has absolutely no mental attachment to you...... ;)

15. metalhed717

metalhed717 Member

hmm.. do you have anything else besisides the strat that can get good clean sounds? because sometimes only a strat can do what a strat can. is htere anything else you would consider selling? i have a strat and an SG, and i can get pretty much any sound with one or the other.

also, i know how you feel about people telling you you're spoiled- i have a strat, an SG, and an acoustic. i plan on getting the new epi prophecy SG, and everyone keeps telling me i dont NEED another guitar and that i should save it. i havent told my dad about the bass i just bought... ;)

16. smk506

smk506 Member

Eh, as long as you work for your money you should enjoy it however you want. The only exceptions are if you spend more time shopping for and comparing guitars than playing them. That or if other aspects of your life are left want like bills, tuition, child support etc.

Buy em when your young, you have no bills, no kids, no real financial responsibility. Just make sure you pick good ones you can be happy with as the years go by.

I also second sir Six's advise, I've regreted losing just about every guitar I've ever traded. It takes some of the sting off to get a guitar you love though.

17. 76sgspecial

76sgspecial New Member

:coolsmiley: Hey man think of it like this, How many times do you live......... most people just one. If you want the new axe, save up and GET IT! You already know you like it and you know if you decide to get rid of it down the road you will prob. get MORE than you paid for! I say go for it!

18. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

19. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG 76sgspecial! :) :) :)

It's a good point..............!

20. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

[quote author=metalhed717 link=topic=16648.msg209429#msg209429 date=1207404895]
    i know how you feel about people telling you you're spoiled- i have a strat, an SG, and an acoustic.
    [/quote]

thats not spoiled... Thats just the essentials ;D