SG Standard P-90

SGspecial

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a P-90 standard in person yet? Guitar Center is showing these as available on-line BUT they are showing them as NOT available at any store.

I am thinking very seriously about buying one of these but I'd like to play one or at least see one first.

Rowdymoon

Reaction score
I just bought one about a month ago ....love it...SG standard with p-90's is tone playin heaven...and yes baked maple but no complaints here, looks and feels good. Treat it just like you would rosewood.:thumb:

only change was I added 18:1 grover tuners..

http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/
rowdymoon-albums-rowdy-s-pics-picture240-untitled.jpg

rowdymoon-albums-rowdy-s-pics-picture240-untitled.html

Last edited:

easilyamused

Reaction score
I also picked one up. Love it. It has quickly become my number 1 guitar and my tele & es-335 are being dearly neglected!

The guitar can do anything with those p-90s. I'm really enjoying the feel & sound of the baked maple too.

Great guitars.

SGspecial

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I went to Guitar Center and Sam Ash today and no luck. I'll probably have to order one on-line.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
yeah, I'd want to see it and feel it and play it before shelling out my hard earned cash, but the PLEK thing that they do to the Standard SG means it's a little less worrisome to order one online. Good luck.

Rowdymoon

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I went to Guitar Center and Sam Ash today and no luck. I'll probably have to order one on-line.
Could they not order one for you?...as stated, always best to see it and try it before buying.....although you may have a better chance with a standard sight unseen as apposed too a tribute model that seems to be hit and miss as far as quality goes.

SGspecial

Reaction score
Could they not order one for you?...as stated, always best to see it and try it before buying.....although you may have a better chance with a standard sight unseen as apposed too a tribute model that seems to be hit and miss as far as quality goes.

Sure they could order me one BUT:
A $1000 guitar picked up in Nashville will cost me almost $1100 by the time I pay sales tax. If I order from Musician's Friend they don't charge sales tax.

OBX351

Reaction score
Nice guitar! I keep going back and forth on p-90s or humbuckers, so I play both. To be honest I think a good set of P90s sound better than most modern humbuckers. Which is why I've sold off all but one of my modern guitars with humbuckers.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I have looked for those at the shops and never seen one in person. I sure do like the way they look though. If I didn't already have an SG classic, that would be a great option since I am still a big fan of P90 pups. Nothing does classic rock quite like a P90 loaded Gibson.

71sgdeluxe

Reaction score
I found the price and financing options offered by Sam Ash.com to be too appealing to pass up on, even though I had much concern about buying something in this price range without playing it first. Ordered it Tuesday morning and it was plugged into my Classic 30 Thursday evening. All I can say is if mine is representative, this guitar is going to be a big hit.

The baked maple fretboard looks and feels just fine and looks like rosewood to me. The fit and finish is perfect. The fret ends are perfectly smooth. The action came set low with no buzz.

The sound . . . wow. I'm sure humbuckers are still a little more versatile, but these P90s a hot and articulate and have a definite place in any rocker's arsenal. They are relatively bright, but not shrill. They sound great clean and soar with higher output seetings. They do tend to feed back a little more easily than humbuckers at high volume through distortion effects, but they just need to be managed a little differently. I was also a little worried about 60 cycle hum, but mine are surprisingly quiet.

The cherry finish is beautiful. My body is two piece but the grains are nicely matched and it is hard to notice this is not a one piece body. The gloss finish is frankly superb. The case is also very solid and a real beauty.

Sorry to gush abouth this purchase, but I am truly impressed. American SG Standard with hardshell case and free shipping for $999, with 18 month no interest financing. This is a hard deal to pass up even if you have to buy before you try. I hope others have the same experience I did. If so, you won't be disappointed. :)

Latest posts