SG Standard the holy grail for stoner rock

RedMastiff

Reaction score
I gigged the 13 Standard with a JB on the bridge and 57 on the neck today.
Wow, what a tone, vintage but high gain, its not metal, its fuzz, overpowered and big.
Today it was a jam, many guitarist played the SG, and everyone had different sound, even using the same amp. But well everyone touched the settings before playing.
While I was playing I just didnt think about guitars or pickups, just enjoyed how good everything was sounding and how my tone was "Super stoner rock". Super vibe.
Its hard to describe, something raw about the standards. Raw and thick.
For me, this is the best guitar for stoner rock.
Also add the look of the guitar, the weight, just crazy folks, this guitar is crazy ****.
An old pic of the guitar with the factory classic 57 still on the bridge:

IMG_20150719_175005.jpg

At the end, only a few said how awesome the guitar was, but I know all of them had their jaws on the floor and desires an SG Standard now :D
In my town, the scene stoner guitarist mostly carries Les Pauls, Studios, classics even 335s, strats, shecters. No one has an SG.
Big mistake ;D

jojo68

Reaction score
Rt on ! Sg's are great for stoner rock for sure. I rotate between my SG's and LP's.

Jaws

Reaction score
Oh for sure, dude. I've got a Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge of my SGJ, and I play through a couple of Jet City tube heads into a fender 4x12 and a ported 2x12 simultaneously. Needless to say it gets "pretty motherfucking heavy."

With my rig on full tilt its like falling into an active volcano on drugs.

Tony M

Reaction score
They are good for everything else too.

Weddings.
Biker bars.
Dinner dances.
Classic rock cover bands
Deep Purple tribute bands.
Playing in an 18 piece swing band.

All with SGs.

PS: So are ES 335s.

RedMastiff

Reaction score
I think that one of the keys is the 57 on the neck, damn good for high fuzz tones, super warm, I use mine with 500k emertons on volume and tone with an emerton 022 uf cap.
I think that this 57 on the neck are good with 500k pots.
On the bridge, with modern pickups like Seymour duncan JB or Gibsons 498T, I prefer 300 k gibson stock pots on volume and 500k on tone.
The difference is miminal on lower voumes, but on high volume I prefer this way.
Also, I did a come back from 50 style to modern and I dont regret.
Now sounds like it should since the beginning.
This Sg is my number 1, thats why I rig it.
Also once smashed the floor and still intact, only a crooked headstock tuner ;D

This is a brown leather strap I found on a late 80s strat case the other day, its very thin and confortable, I think its from late 80´s or 90´s.
Its very short, I use it on the maximum lenght possible, but still like 4 or 5cm short:

IMG_20160917_060934.jpg

IMG_20160917_160709.jpg

Jaws

Reaction score
That's a killer SG, my man. So when you say Stoner Rock do you lean more towards the Sleep end of the spectrum or say Fu Manchu?

RedMastiff

Reaction score
That's a killer SG, my man. So when you say Stoner Rock do you lean more towards the Sleep end of the spectrum or say Fu Manchu?

I play wofat style, halfway to gone on drop C.
I also play on D standard like nebula, atomic bitchwax, radio moscow.
If you have time, listen to Brutus, they got 3 albums, very sabbath they are very good.
Im not a fan of fumanchu style, but they got some great songs too.
Also not a big fan of Sleep.
Happens the same with truckfighters and astroqueen, not my favorite bands but they got nice songs.

Last edited:

TDA1966

Reaction score
I remember the days when Dave Murray rocked a Norlin SG. Maiden might be more associated with metal but in those days all us stoners were into them heavily.

Super fuzz

Reaction score
Ok, I have no idea what guitar is being played, whether it is an SG or whatever, but this is, in my opinion, some really good stoner music that I thought I would share:

And here is another (although pretty sure this isn't an SG, sorry):

RedMastiff

Reaction score
Seems the machine uses Jazzmasters
That Solar Corona album is very good

Latest posts