SG Standard Wiki page finished!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by PermissionToLand, Sep 7, 2018.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Active Member

Good work PTL! Very well done. I find it interesting to see how the sub genres of SG Standards have multiplied so expotentially in more recent years. The influence of marketeers I suspect. They are everywhere - there is no escape.

What's next for the SG Wiki?

PermissionToLand likes this.
  3. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Excellent resource, thank you!

I like that shot of the Candy Apple Blue SG - it looks more like Teal in that image, and I'd love an SG in that colour...

FWIW, whenever you're updating, it might be worth including 'Fret-over-binding' for the 2014 & 2015 Standards, simply because you have noted it on the later HP models, and it was a feature of the Standard in those years. (Yes, obviously I had to go and read the specs of the SGs I own!).

arcticsg and PermissionToLand like this.
  4. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

This is excellent.

This must have a long time to do given all the deviations Gibson randomly introduced.

It's difficult to capture every anomaly from Gibson when they decided to veer out of spec. People assembling them probably grabbed what was closest or easiest in some cases. I don't know if every variance could be or even should be accounted for. It might make it all too long and unreadable.

Fro example, are the following too minimal for inclusion?

Not all SG Standards from 1974 and 1975 came with ebony boards and no binding, but that majority did.

For example Candy Apple Blue was briefly an available finish in the early 90's. I think they discontinued it in 1993.

In the early 90's some came with normal Grover rotomatics instead of keystones. The majority were keystones though.

In the early 90's Gibson at times only used 300k pots for both volume and tone.

What does everyone think?

5. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Excellent work! Thank you!

6. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Wow! Excellent work, PTL. You're my Hero... :cheers:

7. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Excellent job, well done. :smile:

The 2016 MSRP should be $1,199 not 1,875.

Not a big deal really, it just caught my eye. (yeah, I bought one new ;))

8. PermissionToLand

Yeah, since around 2007 when the GOTW line came out, new models really started proliferating. I'm glad for it though. There are probably millions of SG Standards out there, no shortage if somebody wants one. But anybody who wanted a Maple SG was SOL until the Raw Power series came out.

As for the wiki, I'll start working on the Custom page, so I will have the basic four: Junior, Special, Standard and Custom.

I've also done some work on the Dating page with heel joints and seeking out the earliest built 1960 SG/LPs:

https://solidguitar.wikia.com/wiki/Dating

Yeah, the new Made2Measure program has resulted in some really cool SGs like that Candy Blue one. Check out this one with a Batwing in Cardinal Red:

[​IMG]

That may be the only Batwing SG I've ever seen with beveling that touches the pickguard. Even real '67s weren't that deep.

Indeed, there are many exceptions to the rule, especially in the '60s. I've tried to cover them all so thank you for your help.

For the '74-75 Standards without Ebony boards, I assume they're Rosewood, but were they bound?

On Candy Apple Blue, can you find any evidence of those guitars? Not that I'm doubting you, but I try to hold that as my standard for inclusion. That era is tough because there's no archived website I can use and not many catalogs I can find (and of course, Gibson never included special runs in catalogs anyway). Even just an example of one on Reverb or Ebay would be good.

SG standard likes this.
  9. PermissionToLand

I have $1,199 as the street price. How much did you pay for yours, if you don't mind?

10. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Yeah, even Gibson website lists it at $1199. ;)

No problem, $1199 from WWBW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Nice work thanks so much! Obviously a labor of love!!!

12. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

Yes, the were Rosewood, bound and had mini block inlays.

Here's an example:
    https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-sg-standard-1974-walnut-2

Candy Apple Blue was actually a standard color option. I think they were available from 1990-1993 or possibly until some time in 1994.

Here's a few links I found:
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ly-90s-gibson-candy-apple-blue-color.1177562/

https://reverb.com/item/406911-gibson-sg-standard-1991-candy-apple-blue

https://reverb.com/item/270627-gibson-sg-standard-1991-candy-apple-blue

https://reverb.com/item/790549-gibson-sg-standard-1992-candy-apple-blue

Start watching at 15:00 in.

13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

To me that is a great example of the most perfect iconic SG Standard. The translucent cherry finish on that one is awesome. That configuration of tuners, knobs, switch tip color, poker chip and batwing is spot on.

arcticsg likes this.
  14. PermissionToLand

Nice axe! Yeah, Gibson seems to alternate between displaying the MSRP and street price on their website. Most often they show the MSRP, which just fuels the "Gibsons are overpriced" fire. IDK why they don't just stick to street price.

Nice, I'll add Candy Apple Blue for '91-93. However, it wasn't listed as a standard color in the '91 or '93 catalog:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070222014738/everythingsg.com/catalogs.htm#1991

So I'll put it down as a limited run.

As for the '74 SG, I would need to see the pot codes to confirm it's really a '74. Because there were only subtle differences throughout most of the '70s, it's hard to date them and misconceptions mean you can't really trust what sellers advertise them as. In fact, the "S-G" engraving on the TRC suggests it's a '76 or later. I haven't seen anything I can confirm as a '74-75 with a bound RW board, but I am open to the possibility.

arcticsg likes this.
  15. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

Here's a Reverb listing for a 1975 with photos of the pots that date to that to August of that year:
    https://reverb.com/item/145370-gibson-sg-standard-1975-walnut

It has a "S-G" truss rod cover, mini block inlays, bound Rosewood neck and the bridge pickup close to the bridge. That was a '74 / '75 thing.

I have a 1974 with the same features. I changed the wiring years ago, but I still have the original harness.

arcticsg likes this.
  16. PermissionToLand

Well, the wider PUP spacing returned from 1977 through 1979. So the tighter spacing was only '73 and '76. But I have the switch back to RW down as mid-'75, so that would align with what I've seen, especially being there's a several month lead time between pots being made and installed, that would have been a late '75 or early '76 build. After the switch back to RW, but before the PUP spacing changed.

I'm only skeptical that they would have used bound RW boards throughout the Ebony run because it would not be as simple as just grabbing a different board, you're also dealing with binding, which could throw off the production line by adding complexity unexpectedly.

And we know they didn't transition features immediately at the start of a new year as well, so yours could be an early '74 before they finished up the supply of RW boards. Could you check the old harness and do you have pics of the guitar? Thanks! I love the mysteries of vintage Gibsons.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    flognoth likes this.
  17. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

You're right, it is an early 1974. I understand being skeptical, there are always some things Gibson did that didn't make sense in context of larger production runs.

Here's a photo of the guitar before I removed the harmonica bridge for an ABR.

premod.jpg

Here's a photo of the harness showing pot codes from the first week of 1974

harness.jpg

18. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

My friend had a '69 or '70 he let me use for a few years. It had a swimming pool rout. Do we know what years this was standard?

BTW -- it was one of, if not the best SG I've ever played. Tone, feel, balance, everything.

19. PermissionToLand

Thanks! And very nice SG, BTW. That may be the least faded Walnut I've seen from that era. I didn't know they started off that dark. And some really nice grain, too.

Swimming Pool routes were from 1967-1970, and only on Standards and Customs, because Specials and Jrs had P90s. It started with the switch to Batwings, but there were 1971 Batwings without it.

I plan to add pickup routing as part of the Dating page. You can see it's already more than just serial numbers:

https://solidguitar.wikia.com/wiki/Dating

And I would have to agree; the late '60s SGs are my holy grail. Although I haven't played an early '60s (well, besides a Jr.), I prefer the looks of the Batwing and the sound of T-Tops. I played a '69 Standard at GC and it was sublime, also the best SG or guitar I have ever played, period. Neck was a baseball bat though. That whole "60s Slim Taper" thing is just modern marketing. Their necks were shaped by hand and must have been entirely random, as Angus Young's '71 SG was so thin that Gibson themselves couldn't believe it. But I'm rambling. And now you see why I'm enough of a geek to make this wiki!

Paul G., arcticsg and SG standard like this.