SG Supreme Pickups?

NitroSG

Reaction score
I played an '05 SG supreme at GC recently and the pickups were just ALIVE in that thing compared to every other SG i've played. Are these '57 Classics in the bridge or something else?

Tony M

Reaction score
The SG Supremes had 57 classics.
Didn't they also have an ebony board and maple cap?
Those 2 things would up the "snapiness" of the guitar.
Yes?
No?
Maybe?
My SG custom seems to cut more than my '61 RI.
(ebony board on the custom)

NitroSG

Reaction score
57 classics.
Didn't they have an ebony board and maple cap?
Those 2 things would up the "snapiness" of the guitar.
Yes?
No?
Maybe?
My SG custom seems to cut more than my '61 RI.

Yes, ebony fretboard and maple top. Not sure if snapyness was it, but it seemed like it was much more versatile in regards to how the tone/distortion broke up on a relatively clean tube amp depending on how light or hard your pick attack was. I could almost get very clean with the volume on 8 with a light strum but when I dove in with the pick and upped the pickup volume to 10 it was like I turned on a pedal. Is this normal for these pickups in an SG? If I got a SG Standard should I go to the '57s or a burstbucker for this?

Tony M

Reaction score
My '61 RI cleans up like that too and it has a 57 and a 57+ in it.
They are my favorite pickups. Both my 335s also have 57s in them
and they clean up very nicely when you back off on the volume too.

All my other guitars have different pickups in them though.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Yes, ebony fretboard and maple top. Not sure if snapyness was it, but it seemed like it was much more versatile in regards to how the tone/distortion broke up on a relatively clean tube amp depending on how light or hard your pick attack was. I could almost get very clean with the volume on 8 with a light strum but when I dove in with the pick and upped the pickup volume to 10 it was like I turned on a pedal. Is this normal for these pickups in an SG? If I got a SG Standard should I go to the '57s or a burstbucker for this?

Could pickup height have something to do with it ? You would need an oscilloscpe (nice word) or something electronic, to measure what string volume the pickup catches, before going on comparing the same pickup in a different wood environment. If ALL variables are identical, that means even pick attack and where you strum on the guitar, I doubt you will hear a difference on a blind test (yes, eyes covered), with the guitar played by someone else.

Latest posts