SG Tribute 50 string size and fret board.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DocMusic, May 3, 2015.

1. DocMusic

DocMusic New Member

I know the LP 2014 p 90 I played recently was strung with nines. It bends like my new Tribute 50 (my new favorite) do the send them from the factor with 9s or 10s.

The frets are filed well but the fret board is a little smaller than the neck and can see a discrepancy most of the way down. Am I asking too much from a $569 Gibson. Plays great.

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Lately, they come with Cleartone hybrid light gauge .009-.046 coated strings, which are pretty good. My 2014 Les Paul Melody Makers had such good sets of strings, I hated changing 'em. Congrats on that SG.
    ;>)/

3. Lhvr

Lhvr Active Member

Gibson doesn't use their own strings for their guitars?

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Not on the 13s and 14s I bought.Previously, I think they used Brite Wires, 10-46.

5. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

My 2013 SG 50's Tribute came with Brite Wire 009 - 046's

6. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

My 14 Studio LP came with Cleartones, and like Biddlin, I hate to change 'em!

7. DocMusic

DocMusic New Member

Did the tributes have the two piece (sandwich) rosewood finger board and how can I tell? I know some were made in 2012.

8. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

My 13' 70's tribute supposedly came with 10-46 brite wires.

9. sg61reissuefc

sg61reissuefc New Member

I recently bought a 50"s tribute from Sam Ash, it came in perfect condition, very impressed. The funny thing about it is the tuneomatic bridge has allen screws for the up and down adjustments and intonation. I didn't know they put those on that model. How could that have happened? It was a nice surprise. Also do you have any recommendations on the p 90 heigths for the bridge, I moved mine down a little. What is your preference or a good starting point for measurements.

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG sg61... if your bridge looks like this one:
    (sorry about all the pick dust, I'd been playing this guitar a lot)
    Fig 08 tonepros bridge&tail.jpg
    If your bridge looks like this one with the hex screws clamping the bridge and tailpiece
    to the posts, then what you have is a TonePros bridge and tail. It's a definite upgrade!
    If you buy this set retail, expect to pay like $130. These are high quality replacements
    for the Standard Nashville bridge, and were stock on some of Gibson's higher end models
    in the past. If you got one on a less expensive guitar, be very happy.

>Maybe Gibson has ended their contract with TonePros and are just putting the products they bought on their
    guitars until they're all gone. They were getting their tuners from TonePros for some years, and I have a
    2012 SG Special with Tone Pros "Gibson Deluxe' tuners and these are the best. But SOMETHING has occurred
    to upset someone's apple cart. TonePros no longer makes tuners. I don't pretend to understand all
    the corporate shenanigans that take place around us. I suspect greed and short-sighted profit motivations
    behind almost anything that doesn't have a clear cause and effect showing. But I'm cynical.

Anyway, enjoy your new SG. You can install whatever strings you like on it, SGs are able to
    make music out of almost anything. I use 11-49s on mine.

11. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG! :smile:

12. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

I put earnie ball slinky's on my 70's tribute only because my other 2 sg's have heavier gauges on em and have them set up differently depending on my mood. One for doom/stoner metal, one that's in between, and my 70's tribute is pure screamer.

I THINK it was any heavier than 11's you needed to modify the nut a tad, but I could be wrong.