SG With a Jag/JM Trem?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Rooney, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Rooney

Rooney Member

I was looking for some pictures of the Beatles during their Hamburg times on google and got sent to this site: http://indorock.pmouse.nl/hamburg2.htm
    I figured I'd have a look at all the photos since I'm just waiting for dinner right now and then, at the bottom I stumbled on this...
    [​IMG]

It looks like the guitarist to the far left has an SG (SG/LP more likely, Junior at that since it's only got two knobs) but it has a Jaguar/Jazzmaster tremolo on it! It looks like it still has the wrap-around bridge, but it's really hard to tell for sure. (According to the picture that's George Dankmeyer of the Fire Devils)
    Just thought it was interesting and figured I'd share it with you guys.

2. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

That allmost also looks like a Hagstrom trem..hmm interesting

3. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Note the large p/g.

4. Rooney

Rooney Member

Forgot to mention that.

Looking at the headstock more I'm wondering if it is a Hagstrom?

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

It certanily looks like a hagstrom TP with a Gibson body if that's even remotely possible and if that s 63 pic it's an SGLP w/ that TP! I've been into Hagstrom's since the 60's

6. Voxman

[​IMG]
    I grabbed this pic off another firedevils site! but I still can't tell .. perhaps FRAMUS which might oif been made by hagstrom for them?

7. Voxman

8. AxRab

AxRab Member

9. Voxman

I was really thinking along that way too but .. since it's Germany it has to be a Framus or Hofner cause that's what was available at the time as due to then, the US protecting their workers and products built in the US there were lots of trade restrictions so other countries levied import duty's which limited the amount of instruments in European countries .. The total opposite of what's up now :roll: But I could be in Left field with all this too but so far that's all I've got to go on! ;D

10. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

It looks like it says Gibson on the headstock....but it could be I just need new glasses. :dontknow:

[​IMG]

11. Orang Goreng

Orang Goreng Member

The Firedevils were a Dutch band who rode on the wave of the so-called "Indo Rock", rock music introduced into the Netherlands by repatriated Dutch citizens of Indonesian descent after Indonesia gained independence from NL. These bands were something completely new in Europe at the time; the mostly played American rock and roll, which wasn't mainstream yet here at the time. Many of these bands made their fortune in Germany.
    The most influential Indo rock band was The Tielman Brothers, led by virtuoso showman Andy Tielman, quite a big star at the time (and still active now). At the peak of their popularity, the Tielman brothers mostly used Fender Jazzmasters. Andy added extra strings to his. Many people tried to copy him, and did the same (it's still common to find 60s jazzmasters with plugged holes where the extra tuning heads used to be in NL). My guess would be that adding a jazzmaster trem to an SG junior was done in attempt to be able to play certain things as Andy Tielman would.

For those not familiar with Andy's work, this might be fun:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6uXkuTmcmY&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WeXrTzxBTI&feature=related[/youtube]

Oh, BTW. Fender and Gibson guitars were definitely available in NL at the time, though they were ungodly expensive. Succesful bands could afford them, though, and sometimes endorsement deals were made. The Tielmans had to play jazzmasters because of some endorsement deal with Fender. They were initially really unhappy with that, being used to their Les Pauls. Ironically, the Jazzmaster became the icon of indo rock guitar; nearly every famous band from the genre ended up playing them.

12. freddairy

freddairy Member

I was a big fan of Indo Rock a few years ago when I was into Jazzmasters and Jaguars and Orang Goreng is right, Jazzmasters and Jaguars were all over that genre of music.

Any Jazzmaster or Jaguar owners here? I've sold all mine but I remember the cavity for the trem had to be cut really deep on those guitars for them to properly work. I wonder if a SG body is even thick enough to allow one of those to work at their full potential.

13. Orang Goreng

Orang Goreng Member

A bit of a late reply, but yeah. They're my main guitars (2 JMs, 2 jags). The trem route indeed is pretty deep, and may in fact be deeper than my SG's body, although obviously I haven't measured that. Of course, it would be perfectly possible to cut the route straight through the body and have a perfectly working system, though it may look a bit nasty. I'd love to see the back of that guy's guitar...

14. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Is this the same guitar without Trem?

[​IMG]

15. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

Cool guitar, I would guess prolly a modded SG junior since that was really common thing to do back in those days.

Little off topic re tielman brothers... Love those guys! I didn't think anyone else even knew who they were. Those cats could really bring it and were the pioneers in showmanship on stage. Very fun stuff and that second vid with the upright bass is a favorite on my two boys band youtube website.

16. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

BTW. Really cool idea to have the two Fender VI Baritone guitars in the Bossanova Baby clip.