SG-X

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by randyrhoadslives13, May 15, 2010.

1. randyrhoadslives13

randyrhoadslives13 Member

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted on this forum in probably a year or so, but I'd like to get back into this.

Just picked up a yellow SG-X about two weeks ago or so and I'm wondering if anyone could give me any information on this guitar. I'm having a bit of trouble finding a whole lot about it on the internet. This is my second SG (I have a black standard as well) and so far I'm really liking this guitar but I do with it had a few more tonal options (neck pickup, maybe..)

I'm wondering about what you guys possibly think about modifying this guitar. Keeping it completely original isn't a huge priority to me as it isn't really one of the more renowned Gibson models and it was discontinued shortly after production started. I'm considering adding some sort of tremolo or vibrato type of thing to it, possibly a neck pickup if that's possible/a good idea, and replacing the tuners. The extra pickup would be at the top of the list though to open up more tonal options. Anything having to do with changing wiring to open it up a bit would be what I'm looking for.

If anyone could possibly shed some light on this model and give me some information about adding an extra pickup or anything that would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pictures of my new SG sometime soon.

Thanks for your help.
    -Dan

2. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

how bout looking for a third SG? this time a SG-90 double? :D

but anyway, what kinda tremolo u looking to put in it?
    bigsby or floyd?

if its a floyd, do not deep rout it.
    just do like a regular fender style rout, else the block will stick out too far from the back.

below is my SG-90, the floyd on it is factory standard.
    the color and pickups are not :p
    [​IMG]

heres the routing on it.
    [​IMG]

3. TNT

TNT Active Member

4. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

5. randyrhoadslives13

randyrhoadslives13 Member

Thanks for the specs on the SG-X. What do you guys think of routing in a neck pickup? That would be the thing i'd like to do for sure but I don't want to wreck the guitar. I wouldn't do it myself obviously. I'd go for like a P-94 or some other kind of single coil in the neck.

6. TNT

TNT Active Member

I'd say buy another guitar or trade that one for the one you want. :)

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

you could probably trade yours out even trade for an SG faded. Might be harder to trade out for a classic or other P90 equipped guitar since they are very popular. It would be alot easier to trade for what you want than to make your guitar into what you want but hey... alot of folks mod their guitars so if you got the time and skill I'd say go for it.