SGII Clips

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by assquatch20, Nov 29, 2020.

1. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

[​IMG]

This is my '72 or so SGII. I recently had it refretted and installed a new bridge and Firebird pickups. I'd like to get a control plate, pickguard, and truss rod cover for a Deluxe. Some push-pull pots for more options would be nice as well. I like how it plays now though. The neck is pretty slim, especially at the nut (duh) and the fretwork is nice.

They had to plane the board to refret which I wasn't thrilled about but I'm not sure it could've been Plek'd otherwise. I love the looks of the bridge and it's adjustable like a Badass style wraparound. I also like the pickups a lot. They're kinda high resistance for AlNiCo Firebird pickups, I think, at 9 and 10k.

In this video I'm straight into an HT-5 (the "metal" version) using a V-Type speaker in a combo amp, I think. I like that the bridge pickup has a bit of twang to it. I don't use the neck pickup a ton but it's like a 335 meets a Strat, to me. Good singing bluesy lead tones.

In this one I'm just using the looper on my Empress Echosystem delay. The amp setup is the same.

Another one with the looper and the HT-5 but using the 8" Jensen in an old Gibson GA-5 Skylark.

Here I'm going into a '76 SLP. Very loud.

pancake81 and Piper68Special like this.
  2. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

This next one's fun. It's the HT-5 with the FX loop send going into a MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, then into the Echosystem, then out in stereo to a Peavey 50/50 stereo tube power amp. The 5w is the "dry" amp (it has a little reverb though) and the "wet" delay signal goes to the 50/50, though plenty of dry signal gets through as well.

The dry amp uses a 1960a loaded with old creambacks and greenbacks. The stereo amp goes into two ADA vertical 2x12's (a "split stack") loaded with G12S-50's, flanking the 4x12 as you can see.

The tempos are roughly on the same page for each delay pedal. The MXR is doing quarter notes into the Echosystem's dual delay engines, which are routed in parallel. One engine is a stereo ping-pong delay in dotted eighth notes, and the other is a delay+reverb setting that's mostly just doing reverb, but with a faint longer delay I think. The deep semi-twangy sound with the effects is great fun.

In this audio clip I'm using the delays again in the same configuration at a bit over 60bpm. The dry amp is just in standby here, though, and there's no wet amps. The Echosystem has speaker emulation that I'm not crazy about, but it's usable. It has 3 different emulations. One is too fizzy, one is too dark, and this one is only a little too dark. I ran from it, in stereo, straight into my Scarlett 2i2 interface. No power amps, no speakers, no mics.

Anyway that's what I've been up to with my SG. I love the thing. I'll try to get an interface with at least 3 inputs and a few mics and such so I can start recording the wet/dry/wet setup the right way.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  3. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

Here's one that uses some new pedals I got on the rhythm track. A really nice reverb and chorus, coupled with an equally awesome delay pedal. Very 1985.

4. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

RhTs great stuff man. Most importantly you look like you are enjoying your instruments and playing them. I appreciated your first vid and the crossroads licks most, but all were worth a listen. Looking forward to hearing more.

Mal so, looks like you got a pretty amazing place to play. Jealous

assquatch20 likes this.
  5. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

Hey thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. The rock and country is my bread and butter kinda stuff. That's what my band primarily does, anyhow, but we're trying to pick up some more pop tunes and I'm having fun making soundscapes in my free time as you can hear.

That spot I was playing in for most of those videos is actually a barn I was living in this summer. I was helping the couple that owns the property and their barn had the stage/studio downstairs and apartment in the loft. I needed a place to stay at the time so I had to ask. It was definitely an experience. It's usually used for parties and jams and the occasional recording session but that's been put on hold. It's a heck of a spot. The only house on the end of a dead end road, at the back of a holler. You can open the garage doors and play as loud as you want. I spent a long time alone there just playing the hell out of the SG.

pancake81 likes this.
  6. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Any vids of the band jamming?

7. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

Yeah we've got some stuff on YouTube and Facebook if you look us up. There's been a couple livestreams that have went alright and then the occasional snippet of a song from a gig like this clip. I've only been with the band since October of last year. Hopefully doing another stream this month or next.

Until more recently, I wasn't very happy with my rig and that's what I'll blame for the bad playing in some of the stuff you'll find. I've since gotten the SG playable (I had to return that Tele and pedalboard back to its owner) and gotten an amp that has more gain since I'm not crazy about relying on pedal overdrive. When I started I was using nothing but borrowed gear. Heck I spent the first 10-12 years of my playing with no pedals whatsoever. I've always liked some effects but never bothered to get any until this past year or so.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020