SGJ + Pickguard

Niro

Reaction score
I've been lurking in this group for a couple of weeks, I came across it while researching pickguards for my SGJ.

I'll try to keep this brief, my son is now learning how to play guitar (no pressure, he's gotta love it) and as a result, after hanging up the guitars and gigging for at least the past 15 years, it's inspired me to pick up and am now playing everyday rebuidling the chops. So I go into a local guitar shop, pick up various guitars and was frankly blown away by the SGJ, acoustically it sounded fantastic, plugged into an Vox AC4TV this is one angry guitar! I purchased it on the spot. Unfortunately, not sure if it's due to to my playing style or just shoddy workmanship, the finish right below the high E is tearing up. I did contact customer support, but it would be costly to have them evaluate it as there are no authorized Gibson repair shops around town.

So I decided to go the pickguard route and had an all black one custom made, however, before I start drilling holes I'd really appreciate some feedback from the EverthingSG community. Pic quality is crap as I snapped these with my phone in low lighting, however, I can definitely snap more with a better camera and lighting.

Attachments

• SGJ PG_1.jpg
    SGJ PG_1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 139
  • SGJ PG_2.jpg
    SGJ PG_2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 142

Saintjonah

Reaction score
Drill it and be done. It looks so much nicer with the PG, IMO.

Congrats on the awesome guitar!

Biddlin

Reaction score
Looks good .
I leave mine bare and the finish, which looks a bit thinner than yours, is wearing glossy smooth right below the strings, from skin oils and finger tips I think. No signs of pick damage after lots of use .
biddlin-albums-98-workhorse-picture1044-close-up-sgj.jpg

attachment.php

Hardly noticeable, except with the light at a certain angle.
For those who are interested, the spacing of the pickups is 2mm narrower on the SGJ than standards, so if you order a standard type II small pickguard, shave a mm from each side of the horn.
attachment.php

Biddlin ;>)/

Attachments

• sgjgl.jpg
    sgjgl.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 402
  • pickguard.jpg
    pickguard.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 346

Tony M

Reaction score
Looks so much better with a pickguard.
Drill the holes and put it on.

Paul

Reaction score
yep, i got the exact same guitar and put the 3ply pickguard on. looks good. and changed the truss cover to 3ply blank too. DO IT...

Biddlin

Reaction score
With a bit of luck, I'll soon have he only unmolested specimen on the planet !:applause:
Biddlin ;>)/

Niro

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Did it...man it took nerves to drill into the body, but ultimately glad I did. Wasn't sure to go with black or chrome screws, decided on chrome ones and I also swapped the black pickup height adjustment screws for chrome ones to complete the look. I additionally wanted to add chrome top knobs, but chose not to as it would look too close to a '61 Standard (nothing wrong with that, just want this one to have it's own personality).

Biddlin, that is why I hesitated, I don't like to mess with a guitar's original look, but in hindsight, it improved the look at least 10 fold. You listenin' Gibson...?

Y'know, this SGJ is my go to guitar, my Les Paul and Strat are green with envy!

Attachments

• MySGJ_PG.jpg
    MySGJ_PG.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 125
  • MySGJ_PG2.jpg
    MySGJ_PG2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Biddlin

Reaction score
Looks great, I definitely like the single ply !
Still keepin' mine stock, though,at least this one.
Biddlin ;>)/

Niro

Reaction score
The single ply looks like it came with the J model.

I'm warming up to those J's, 24 frets, huh?

Yep, it's a 24 fretter. IMHO, It really is a lot of guitar for it's relatively low asking price. Coupled with a Vox amp, this baby sounds awesome...

If anyone is interested, I have a PDF to scale for this pg based on the '61 pg, which was drawn up by Terrapin Guitars. However, it's important to state that I had to slightly shave some material off the pg where it meets the pickup ring corners so that it fits snugly against the rings...easy fix.

Last edited:

GTSG

Reaction score
Looks good.

Me, not drilling, not changing anything, no double sided tape, nothing, like the way the SGJ looks, feels and plays. In fact I haven't put it down........love it.

Peace

Niro

Reaction score
Looks good.

Me, not drilling, not changing anything, no double sided tape, nothing, like the way the SGJ looks, feels and plays. In fact I haven't put it down........love it.

Peace

When I purchased the SGJ, I really had no intention of modding. I like to keep my guitars as is, however, as I've stated, the finish below the high E has started to show signs of wear/damage. Some may call it mojo, but not after 2 months of playing it. I've attached a pic...funny thing, the damage ends right at the line where 2 pieces of mahogany meet, that's something I can't explain. Perhaps someone can with better knowledge of wood can.

I also can't put it down, there's something about it, it's just so raw and angry...!

Attachments

• SGJ_Finish.jpg
    SGJ_Finish.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 64

GTSG

Reaction score
I see what you saying, the seam. Some are more noticeable than others but its only visual. I'm impressed as all hell with the guitar. First guitar I play, In fact its plugged in the amp all the time. The 490s work very well in them your right.

Did you polish it? It'll protect the finish and wood.

jrnic

Reaction score
Holy cow, that made it look MUCH BETTER. When I first saw the SGJ's come out I immediately thought it was missing something. Well Done.

You got me thinking now!!

Mitleid

Reaction score
It looks great with a pickguard on the sgj! I am looking at buying a 2014 model. Does anyone know the actual dimension between the pickups? Looking at all parts and wd music. Trying to find a pickguard that won't require tons of modification. Can anyone help? Thanks

Latest posts