SGJ Questions

Bobdobalina

Reaction score
Bobdo..... Interesting. I have a set of EMG's but you went the opposite of my scenario. I had this set in a guitar plus the complete pots, switch and wiring set for an SG. BUT my set is unlike your typical 81/85. Mine came as an H and an 85.

OH MAN, you just gave me ideas for mine. I bought a couple project guitars myself and the one double cut would be a good place to put these.

Good luck with your build.
I do love a classic fat and warm guitar pick up tone but all of my other guitars are equipped with those with the exception of my very first electric. I don’t plan on using this guitar for anything other than high gain playing so it’s a natural fit. Plus I don’t expect to be using the neck pick up at all in this scenario.

Bobdobalina

Reaction score
I would highly recommend the Hipshot open gear tuners. They are super light and you can get them in locking or non-locking versions.
Also, is there a specific model I should look for or is the “open gear” the model?

Hector

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and information. I have never thought about tuning peg weight until joining this forum. Considering the weight of this guitar it makes absolute sense. Definitely one of the lightest guitars I own.

As far as pickups, I’m actually going with a single EMG 81. It’s not my usual preference and I know a lot of people are screaming at their computer screen and I get it. It has its place and it’s going to be my starting point.

Looking forward to finishing the project, thanks again! View attachment 47667

I don't know if anyone is screaming at you., more likely encouraging you on :smile:

So do what you want, based on the sort of sound you are going for!

Personally, I would put some '61s in there, but that's just me and what I like to play :D

It looks like someone repainted your SGJ ? If so, do you know if it is Nitro or Poly ?

If your PCB was stripped out, consider yourself lucky.. I did a lot or research on upgrading the pups on mine, and the PCB was a one-off for the 2013 SGJ with a 4 prong connector. Gibson at the time did soldered, 3 prong or now the 5 prong (any pup upgrade required, more or less, removing the PCB and replacing it with soldered pots etc, not that that would be a bad thing...)

Also, enjoy that you have one of not many 24 fret SGs in the world...

Knucklehead71

Reaction score
Also, is there a specific model I should look for or is the “open gear” the model?

They make both open and closed tuners, but the open gear tuners would be lighter than the closed ones. Hipshot have several different styles to choose from, both locking and non-locking, open and closed. They also come with mounting plates that allow you to retro fit them to guitars without drilling extra screw holes even if they aren't a direct fit. They make tuners for 8.5mm tuner holes and for 10mm tuner holes.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone is screaming at you., more likely encouraging you on

I think he likely meant screaming as in "WTF would you want an 81 EMG in a nice SG for?

There are yadda yadda yadda types we like better..."

I am in the camp of HEY it is his guitar, let him outfit it however he wants. Then we offer suggestions.
Don't forget, you will have to have a way to contain the battery for an EMG setup.

Bobdobalina

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone is screaming at you., more likely encouraging you on :smile:

So do what you want, based on the sort of sound you are going for!

Personally, I would put some '61s in there, but that's just me and what I like to play :D

It looks like someone repainted your SGJ ? If so, do you know if it is Nitro or Poly ?

If your PCB was stripped out, consider yourself lucky.. I did a lot or research on upgrading the pups on mine, and the PCB was a one-off for the 2013 SGJ with a 4 prong connector. Gibson at the time did soldered, 3 prong or now the 5 prong (any pup upgrade required, more or less, removing the PCB and replacing it with soldered pots etc, not that that would be a bad thing...)

Also, enjoy that you have one of not many 24 fret SGs in the world...
Thanks! I was just joking about the screaming, everyone has been great.

Yes, someone over sprayed the body only, doesn’t seem like a nitro, more like a spray can but did a great job. They left the neck alone (thank god) because it’s smooth.

I am happy about the 24 frets! I bought a 2013 50’s tribute and loved the neck and didn’t see any of the flaws that people were complaining about at the time. So, I looked for another 2013 as this also has a 50’s style neck from what I’ve read and love it.

Bobdobalina

Reaction score
I think he likely meant screaming as in "WTF would you want an 81 EMG in a nice SG for?

There are yadda yadda yadda types we like better..."

I am in the camp of HEY it is his guitar, let him outfit it however he wants. Then we offer suggestions.
Don't forget, you will have to have a way to contain the battery for an EMG setup.
Exactly, I know EMG’s are very specific and a lot of people hate them.

My first electric (Aria Pro II Excel) came with an EMG and the battery was just knocking around. I made a little box in the cavity using shims to separate and contain it. That is more permanent and I plan on making this container less permanent.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Thanks! I was just joking about the screaming, everyone has been great.

Yes, someone over sprayed the body only, doesn’t seem like a nitro, more like a spray can but did a great job. They left the neck alone (thank god) because it’s smooth.

I am happy about the 24 frets! I bought a 2013 50’s tribute and loved the neck and didn’t see any of the flaws that people were complaining about at the time. So, I looked for another 2013 as this also has a 50’s style neck from what I’ve read and love it.
Bobdo, My PRS Santana SE has 24 frets. Great stuff. That is why many guys liked the SGJ's

Bobdobalina

Reaction score
They make both open and closed tuners, but the open gear tuners would be lighter than the closed ones. Hipshot have several different styles to choose from, both locking and non-locking, open and closed. They also come with mounting plates that allow you to retro fit them to guitars without drilling extra screw holes even if they aren't a direct fit. They make tuners for 8.5mm tuner holes and for 10mm tuner holes.

Thanks Knucklehead71!

Cenulab

Reaction score
Welcome! I have a 2013 SGJ myself that I've modified. I went with Kluson 3-per-side-locking-revolution-series-g-mount-tuning-machines
They drop right in, have a (mostly) classic look, are locking and only weigh slightly more than the non-locking originals. They're on the manufacturer's site (wouldn't let me link to it), but paid quite a bit less for mine from an eBay seller, I believe. It was quite a while ago.

The 2013 SGJ is a great platform - enjoy the build!

Bobdobalina

Reaction score
All is parts are ordered, should have this thing put together in a week. I’ll post some pictures when I do.

Thank you everyone for your help. You made this process a breeze. Great resources.

papagayo

Reaction score
Light weight tuners? Vintage design? New technology with smooth keys? High ratio 1/19 ?

The KLUSON Revolution are the best machine head for a Gibson SG.
Many knobs available.

SG Standard TBK 43.jpg

Latest posts