SGs from the 1970s Norlin Era. Pros and Cons.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SG Champagne, Jan 8, 2010.

1. DavidJ

DavidJ Active Member

Wow. Really got me thinking now Relic! The ears are metal. One other reason I thought these weren't minis was because the wire comes from the middle of the pup not the side like the pole piece mini in your picture. Now I see from your picture of the 72 pups that the wire also comes from middle on those. My guitar is 73 according to the pots.....

Ok - science requires that I have a proper check! It will take me a while (lot's going on in my non-SG life), but I will report back with pix! I'm sure it does you good to be proved completely wrong once in a while!! I'm beginning to think I am......

2. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

my '72 sg III has the black plastic tarback "minis". i really don't know how you would get to the bobbin (bobbins?) short of a long soak in acetone or some other type of solvent. from what i understand the "tar" on a tarback is epoxy and that is a VERY hard resin. from my 20 years experience in the fiberglassing industry the solvent would probably dissolve the plastic on the pickup before attacking the epoxy so my advice would be to leave it a mystery like the pyramids or the moai. "or as ancient astronaut theorists speculate...."

thatbastarddon likes this.
  3. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I've seen the full-size tar back humbuckers with the whole length of mounting bar pulled from it. Although I do not have a tar back myself, from the pics I've seen, it sure don't look like that stuff is as solid as the term epoxy would make you think. You can even see on the mini hum pic that the cable appears to have been pulled out from it to some extent.

I guess I will have to defer to You & DavidJ to let us all know how hard or soft this actual 'epoxy' tar back stuff really is. I can only guess and surmise from the pics I've seen and they lead me to believe it is soft enough to be cut into & peaked under. I could very well be wrong or, maybe that whole darn thing is poured full of that crap & we wont be able to see nuttin. I guess David is just going to have to use his judgment & know if its a do-able idea or not.

[​IMG]Doesn't
    t that look more rubbery than solid?

[​IMG]theres thfull-sizeze Super Humbucker. It almost looks like two different poured materials.
    [​IMG]
    You guys with the actual pickups are gonna have to tell me what this 'epoxy' is actually like.

There used to be a pic of a full size Super Humbucker with the epoxy removed in stages. I cant find it anywhere now & once again I've spent too much time chasin the dragon & coming up frustrated. I am actually ready to buy one of the 'epoxied' minis myself.

As to the Ancient Assholenots.
    Ancient Astronauts indeed! Some times it seems we duh people are ready to believe almost anything huh? How bout that Mayan Calender scare? They always leave out the other Mayan calender they found that continues past the end of the world calender that has people feeding into the fear & paranioa while not paying the bills & spending the mortgage on lavish 'end of the world' parties. Right. Dr. Freud, would you like another coke & water?

Good luck wit the pickup.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  4. JohnP

JohnP Member

Reminds me of the stuff used to cover up the circuit board of boutique electronics so that it won’t get re-engineered. It's meant to be a mystery.

Klon Centaur overdrive:
    [​IMG]

5. Relic61

And is it a hard resin or a softer plastic er what? I dont have anything with this stuff on it so try & describe it 4 me. Inquiring minds & all dat ya know.tanx.

6. JohnP

JohnP Member

It’s like hardened epoxy. It sticks to the components like super glue. If one tries to remove it, the components crack and there’s no way to read any printed values or color codes etc. Mean. Rugged and sturdy though.

The Super humbuckers were Gibsons first ceramic pickups. They are supposed to have three small indox ceramic magnets and a brass plate -Who knows what’s really inside? :hmm:– it remains a secret until somebody is able to dissect it……

7. tpa

tpa Active Member

Who has a scanner?

8. Relic61

How about a Cobalt X-Ray Machine? Smile, click, wow, look e here!

Cobalt is a chemical element with symbol Co and atomic number 27. It is found naturally only in chemically combined form. The free element, produced by reductive smelting, is a hard, lustrous, silver-gray metal.

Cobalt is used in the preparation of magnetic, wear-resistant and high-strength alloys.

The special alloys of aluminium, nickel, cobalt and iron, known as Alnico, and of samarium and cobalt (samarium-cobalt magnet) are used in permanent magnets.

Cobalt occurs naturally as only one stable isotope, cobalt-59. Cobalt-60 is a commercially important radioisotope, used as a radioactive tracer and in the production of gamma rays.

9. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Member

The Norlin guitars I've tried have all been great. I've heard there are some dogs out there but I haven't encountered one yet. Having said that, my favorite SGs are the ones being built right now.

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Because the Norlins were of a somewhat different design, players didn't like them as much at the time, along with the perception that the quality was lower than before.

Honestly, the guitars were better than we thought at the time.

11. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

norlin gibson is similar to cbs fender. they get a bad rap but many players use them. Jimmy Page has 3 go-to LPs, 2 58/59s and a circa 1970 with a b-bender. He uses the nolrin as much as the others, check out celebration day movie. :dunno: leo fender and ted mccarty ruled fender and gibson from 1950 to 1966 and I guess people judge everything to that golden era. Doesnt mean all post cbs/mccarty are dogs.

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Very true, Fender got the bad rep too at that time.

13. Relic61

Well said A-T, well said.

It is such a typical human reaction not to like change and to form opinion & judgements by looks. Granted looks & style is a part of the musicians image no matter what genre but as the years have past I have found the style of most Norlin Gibsons to be just fine on average with some real beauties and some fugly ducklings both playing wise and in appearance.

I cant hold it agaisnt a company for trying to evolve instead of cranking out exact copies of the same models decade after decade with nary a change and nothing new. That would have been the end of the Company if the case.

Just like today, the things that bother me about the Norlin years was when they sacrificed in the name of making things cheaper. That never sits well with me. I hate the cheapifying of a musical instrument in the name of company greed & profit. In retrospec, there was enough of that in the 70's to fuel the fires of contempt that has lasted till today. It is only when we are able to look past those things that we may find ourselves able to appreciate the fact that we still have some very nice sounding instruments that came from the Norlin years and that some of the redesigns, especially on the SG, are classic looking & iconic. To back that up, check out the 78 SG Custom with Bigsby for classic & iconic good looks found in the 70s. A true beauty huh?
    [​IMG]

Here's a link to a thread here that I did a pictoral & write-up on the Norlin era SG Custom that shows its evolution through the years. Check it out.
    http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/vintage-sg/18656-1971-gibson-sg-factory.html

14. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

who is that fusion shredder guy from the 70s that played a white 3 pup les paul/sg custom? (it wasnt an SG but looked like one)

15. Relic61

Here's a clip of Pagey talking about his #2 Les Paul as he is preparing to give it to the Gibson rep for reproduction in the Custom shop. Someone has the vid set up to hawk there jimmy page pups but all that can just be ignored without any problem. I just enjoyed listening to Jimmy talk with such understanding and enthusiasm about his guitar. Quite interesting.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoBs3vyI3Q0]From the man himself Mr. Jimmy Page - YouTube[/ame]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  16. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Do you mean this chap?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6sxvext9c8]John Mclaughlin solo PACIFIC EXPRESS - YouTube[/ame]

BlackSG91 and dbb like this.
  17. Relic61

Any hints beyond that? Any hits or popular songs or notable moments? Any identifiers beyond the white 3 pickup non SG? What guitar was it? A straight up copy like an Orville or something more unique? Comon I need more bro. Fusion shredder guy, white 3 pup non SG? All I can come up with is a possible John McLaughlin using that double neck Gibson EDS 1275 through that 100 watt Marshall with the Mahavishnu Orchestra. That is not a White 3 pup SG copy though so....ERRRRR.....

Com'on! Yer killin me! More hints man more hints!

dbb likes this.
  18. shreddy bender

ok in the name of science and everything sg i'm gonna put a dab of acetone on the "tar" and the plastic of the pickup on my 72 sg III (in an inconspicuous place!) at work tomorrow (thats where my jamspace is) i've gleaned very much information from you guys in the last 4 years and feel i owe it to you as a newbie. so... i'll let you know what happens tomorrow or the next day.

19. shreddy bender

so i did the solvent test and have concluded.....
    the only way to disassemble these pickups is to destroy them.
    the plastic picup covers and mounting ears melt really fast with acetone. the epoxy on the back is unscathed.
    the epoxy makes a chemical bond to the plastic of the cover. the only way to take these babys apart is to melt the plastic or break it away.
    WE MAY NEVER KNOW!

20. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

maybe some things are best that way