Sheptone PUs

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by 8-ball, Sep 15, 2009.

1. 8-ball

8-ball Member

Got my Sheptone HBs now and I have to say that they are very good PUs. Much better tone than the original BBs – which I've been celebrating here. I guess that if you don't know any better...
    Their tone is natural and cosy and they feel even between the strings.
    Extra plus on the neck PU. Gee – I'm really using the neck now!

http://www.sheptone.com/hum.htm

2. 8-ball

8-ball Member

3. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

Sounds great, nice and throaty. Full of warmth, like a good humbucker. What kind of amp are you using?

4. 8-ball

8-ball Member

One of your fav brands, actually:
    http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=l5t-112

Everything was recorded with same settings. No boxes. No reverb. I just switched between clean and OD.

PS. And Mr Viper: I can never see your avatar. Just a blue questionmark.

5. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

[quote author=8-ball link=topic=19749.msg239478#msg239478 date=1253258184]
    One of your fav brands, actually:
    http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=l5t-112

Everything was recorded with same settings. No boxes. No reverb. I just switched between clean and OD.

PS. And Mr Viper: I can never see your avatar. Just a blue questionmark.

[/quote]

Thanks man. I think I fixed it. And yes, nice amp. I put KT66's in mine just a short bit ago. I gotta wear them in a bit more, but they sound nice so far, much more beefy than the TAD EL34's that were in it.

6. 8-ball

8-ball Member

Yep. See your avatar now.
    KT66 is powerful stuff, are'nt they? To me it was the other way around. I had a 100W Hiwatt (with EL34) but since I play and record at home it was a bit much ;D
    The 5 W Lionheart suits me fine.

7. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

I agree with your assessment... I have Shep Tributes in my '76 SG and it never... NEVER sounded better. My Les Paul runs and hides when I break out the SG now.

8. 8-ball

8-ball Member

I have no idea how the Sheps stack up to Lollar, Fralin, Bare Knuck, etc. They are cheaper. On the other hand, Sheptone is a one man biz and you can only order from his site.

I get more and more pleased with them as the days go by.

I also get annoyed. What quality does Gibson PUs really have? My SG VOS was expensive, and I came to like the BBs on it. Now I'm considering to flush them down the toilet. Really.

9. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

[quote author=8-ball link=topic=19749.msg239652#msg239652 date=1253609201]
    I have no idea how the Sheps stack up to Lollar, Fralin, Bare Knuck, etc. They are cheaper. On the other hand, Sheptone is a one man biz and you can only order from his site.

I get more and more pleased with them as the days go by.

I also get annoyed. What quality does Gibson PUs really have? My SG VOS was expensive, and I came to like the BBs on it. Now I'm considering to flush them down the toilet. Really.
    [/quote]

The boutique guys are all pro's and depend on their rep to carry their successes. They all stand behind their work. I've found little diff between any of the boutiques - both in materials used and quality of build and, most importantly - tone. They all try to emulate the tone "in demand" and have several models. My pref is PAF...

Your BBs have value - turn them over to someone who wants to upgrade from whatever they have loaded - lotsa Epi or Faded or PRS SE players may want those. I found the BBs work well in my ES-175 - much better than the T-tops that were in there FOR THE TONE I was looking for. To each, their own. Everything has value somewhere.

Bottom line - Shep's are killer pups. I'm trying a set of single coils in one of my Strats... looking for the '60s tone.