Should I even consider ANOTHER P90 SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by c_corie, May 18, 2021.

1. c_corie

c_corie New Member

I have a 2009 SG classic that I love. I’ve been looking into the new “original” USA line and the CME limited in maybe a yellow.

I also like the cherry color 63’ Custom Shop Special reissue but it seems like a lot of money for a guitar very similar to what I own. It is less expensive compared to the “Murphy” version though.

Any suggestions?

Also here is a clip of mine, it’s my classic and why I’m debating trying to get another P90 SG:

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  2. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

Definietly
    Definitely go for it...the more the merrier, too much is never enough..away you go...etc etc...
    IDK if I get The whole aged laboratory thing, why not just beat the crap out of it yourself and call it 'aged' when your done ? it will take a while anyway.

3. c_corie

c_corie New Member

I agree, they still offer a “normal” custom shop in cherry, I wouldn’t pay $1500 extra to get a beat up white one.

I just feel like a custom shop SG might be overboard but at the same time it’s only about 30% more it’s not like the USA vs CS Les Paul price difference where it’s over 50% more.

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

SG Classics are my favorite.
    I have one cherry, one ebony.
    One is tuned to E.
    The other is tuned to E-flat.

Roomrunner likes this.
  5. c_corie

c_corie New Member

I forgot to add that I’m considering a SG Jr, although it’s pretty similar I’ve always thought they’re neat. I’m not sure how useful it would be for the money though?

6. cerebral gasket

I like the simplicity of Juniors.
    Single pup and wraparound bridge.

A Junior is a great tool to have. It can be useful for when you need an extra guitar that is set up to play songs that require alternate tunings.

Or if you want something different, try an LP Junior DC. Same great upper fret access like an SG, but thicker neck and body. It’s like playing an SG on steroids.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  7. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I agree that Juniors are exceptionally good, versatile, unique.

If you love a P90 SG then you owe it to yourself to try out a Junior (it's a very different beast from a Special).

8. MR D

MR D Active Member

YES, the Les Paul Double-Cut is an awesome guitar. Leslie West played one and recommended them to Rock acts that had not made any $$$ yet, as they hadn't the hefty price tag but had all the heaviness that Rockers were after....this is way back in the early 70's......Mick Jones had one in the early days of the CLASH as well.....''76-'77 ? They are Bad Ass Guitars.

9. c_corie

c_corie New Member

The only issue is the Les Paul DC guitars get into the 3.5-4K range, which seems like a lot for a slab style guitar. I’ve also considered the USA Les Paul special, but it’s pretty similar to my SG “Classic” so?

10. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I see lots of Les Paul Special Doublecuts for under $1K. Unless you're limiting yourself to custom shop ones in TV yellow or something, they are in that $3-4K range for sure.

11. c_corie

c_corie New Member

Yea, I really would like a cherry custom shop DC special or junior but the price it too high. That’s why I was thinking of SGs again, they’re more afordable and are that “plank” style I like.

I have a 2018 58’ Les Paul standard reissue, but only because it was 3k NEW (crazy sale.)

12. cerebral gasket

I got my Custom Shop LP Junior DC second hand for a reasonable price. There's no reason to be paying $3-4K for a slab of mahogany with a single P-90.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  13. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Great price on the Les Paul! Good luck finding the perfect SG!

14. c_corie

c_corie New Member

I’m wondering if the basic 61’ for $1799 (or less) might be an interesting option.

15. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

For the price of a Murphy Lab you might be able to find a vintage with the same mojo.. The P90's are great and gritty for sure.. I bought a NOS Epiphone Special I from GC for $ 80 in matte black (4 years old but brand spanking new) and I immediately changed the tuners to grover mini unbranded.. removed the neck, did fret leveling, finger board rolling and shim.. and WOW.. this bolt on neck plywood screams.. those Epi -P-90's are hot and gritty.. really unique sound..

I would say if you LOVE the P90 get another.. or if you want to have more tone available try the CME exclusives in a funky color.. as those T-types wont be around forever.. I put a pair of T-top clones from VINEHAM PICKUPS in Canada in my 76 standard and LOVE LOVE LOVE them.. gives me all the old Angus Young tone i need.. BTW.. the VOX AC4HW sounds great.. !!

16. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

GOOD POINT, I've been thinking of grabbing an 'SG' Custom (if it has an Ebony Board and Custom-Buckers) but for the extra CA$H ($4600 vs. $1700 & Tax) how much better is the CUSTOM going to sound compared to a STANDARD ?The CUSTOM should blow the strings off of the Standard for the extra $3 Grand, yes?
    I realize Head-Stock Bindings, MOP Head-Stock Double-Cut Diamonds W/binding & MOP FB In-Lays are labour intensive and is what I am paying for, but its strictly aesthetics...how much better is an 'SG' CUSTOM going to sound next to an 'SG' Standard? Top it off, u kno, these days most stores I am near aren't even stocking CUSTOMS...Roll of the dice time...

I went that route with a Les Paul, got a really BAD-A$$ STANDARD, a Really SCREEEEMIN Guitar. So, then went for a CUSTOM and the beauty of the CUSTOM is miles ahead of any Guitar I've ever even touched, but deep down, I think the STANDARD is actually a better sounding Guitar.......its close, really close... but not $1500 worth of close.
    I kno I cant go wrong with a STANDARD tho.

Last edited: May 27, 2021