Silvertone amp-in-case

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Banderboy, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Banderboy

Banderboy Member

I just recently joined, and of course have been binging on the forums and threads. Anyway, one thing lead to another, and I thought about those Silvertone amp-in-case rigs from Sears. In junior high I wanted one bad. I thought, "they have to be worth thousands now" so I went to eBay and was surprised to find a bunch under a thou. And as I browsed them I realized- I still want one! Must...suppress...urge.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

The guitars in them are short scale, not sure how short exactly.

Banderboy likes this.
  3. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Why resist? You know you want it! I passed on one of the guitars (no case or I would have got it for sure ) for 100 bucks back in the '90s and wish I had snagged it. The guitars look very retro-cool, generally play OK and can usually be improved with a simple set up. The Amp in Case concept though was way too cool to miss out on if you are interested in guitars of the period. The amp and guitar were made for Sears/Silvertone by Danelectro, and the amps in particular from Danelectro were really quite good. I do still have a Danelectro DM-25 amp that remains one of my favorites to this day. Very unique sound in a good way.

Here's a rundown from somebody who still tours with them all day, every day.

Rick Miller of Southern Culture On The Skids Talks About His Danelectro - YouTube

One of my all time favorite bands, here's Rick rockin' the Danelectro at a live show. I have seen and heard this guitar in person several times, and it always makes me think back to that old Silvertone I passed up...

Southern Culture on the Skids: "Voodoo Cadillac" Live 11/11/04 Chapel Hill, NC - YouTube

Banderboy likes this.
  4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Well-Known Member

However, they can be dangerous. I owned one. I transplanted the amp into a nice custom-built case, in fact. One day I was playing and all of a sudden got a heavy-duty shock from the thing. We aren't talking about a tingle, but a hot, burny, get-you-attention and knock-you-back shock. I threw the thing in the dumpster pronto. It might have been repairable, but that is the only amp that has shocked me when I wasn't touching any other gear. Think on.

Bob

5. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Converting to a 3 prong cord grounded to the chassis will fix the safety issue. That was the case with all amps that used a two prong cord back in the day. Certain component faults could cause the chassis to become "hot" and zap the tar out of you. Of course using any amp with a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter, or plugging into an outlet with a faulty safety ground creates the same risk today even with a modern amp.

6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

There were 3 versions of that amp and case. One, made for the 1448 model, the short scale guitar with one pickup, was a 3 watt with volume and tone. Sounds,,, goodish I guess.
    The other model, made for the 1457 full scale 2 pickup guitar, usually in a redburst for some reason, had a 5 watter with tremolo. There was a version without the tremolo.

I have the 1448, with guitar, and it's ok. It's a birth year matching guitar/amp, made in 62. Good luck in your search!

7. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

Beware of any amp that has a transformer mounted to the speaker and/or a 2-prong plug (no ground)

8. Banderboy

Banderboy Member

Oh, I don't see me getting one, but the asking prices got the wheels in my head spinning. Just out of disposable income range, though.