Single cut-away SG

pancake81

Reaction score
Perhaps a silly question, but did Gibson ever make a single cut away SG? I mean, they have double cut away Les Pauls, why not the other way around?

Be interesting to see the sharp horn and thin body in a single cut away. I am sure I would hate it, but just curious if Gibson ever ventured there

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Nope.

How about one of these instead?

R7No-Cut.jpg

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I photoshopped an SG that way a long time ago...

singlecut SG.jpg

I think it would need some finessing, maybe move the switch up to the LP location.

That idea was also an influence behind my first build, though I wasn't trying to stay faithful to the SG shape:

IMG_3255m.jpg

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Interestingly, the PS one is butt ugly but the real one looks way cool.

DanB

Reaction score
Perhaps a silly question, but did Gibson ever make a single cut away SG? I mean, they have double cut away Les Pauls, why not the other way around?

Be interesting to see the sharp horn and thin body in a single cut away. I am sure I would hate it, but just curious if Gibson ever ventured there
Hi pancake81, I think the whole idea behind designing the double cut SG by Gibson in 1961 was precisely to replace the single cut Les Pauls, whose sales were suffering in relation to the double cut Fender Stratocasters, which had been steadily eating into Gibson's sales. The SG was originally going to be called Les Paul until Les Paul the guitarist said he didn't like the design (although he ultimately played them along with the Les Paul guitars).. As someone who owns both an SG and a Strat, I can arrest that the double cut design provides access to the high frets that a single cut cannot.

Larry8016

Reaction score
I photoshopped an SG that way a long time ago...

View attachment 47810

I think it would need some finessing, maybe move the switch up to the LP location.

That idea was also an influence behind my first build, though I wasn't trying to stay faithful to the SG shape:

View attachment 47811
Large guard definitely looks better...wouldn't have to move the pup switch either!

Latest posts