Slash Duncan pickups?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kirk Dahnke, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

Has anyone tried the Slash pickups in their SG? I've got a set I got in a trade. Thinking about dropping them in.

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Heard amazing reviews, but have never played a set on heard them in person. Most popular for LP I think, not no reason they shouldn’t rock in an SG

Kirk Dahnke likes this.
  3. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I put a set in a LP Classic and they were incredible. Very versatile. Like mentioned above I'm sure they will sound awesome in an SG.

Kirk Dahnke likes this.
  4. JH1968

JH1968 Member

1A75F27B-127B-4E83-A7CA-245E80E19976.jpeg I have them in my ‘86 SG. They sound great, the neck pickup is really clear sounding. I also have a high end wiring harness with the treble bleed mod which I imagine also affects the tone.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Nemesis0710 and Kirk Dahnke like this.
  5. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

Never had a treble bleed. Currently, the SG is at the shop getting new electronics. Think its something i should ask for? I saw a video where a guy used a push/pull pot to pull the treble bleed out. I just so happen to have a pot for that.

6. JH1968

JH1968 Member

It depends on whether or not you use your volume control a lot. I just get my amp to overdrive then control it with my volume and tone pots. Having the treble bleed helps keep my tone get muddy. If you just play with everything full on paying extra for the treble bleed is a waste of money imho.

Kirk Dahnke and Go Nigel Go like this.
  7. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the above. You should know what you want before you ask for it. If you are not sure, stop where you are and play. A bunch. Figure out what you like and what you don't. There is no such thing as a perfect guitar, only one that suits your style and preferences.

8. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

This particular guitar was missing some electronics, so i got it really cheap. My tech is a buddy and hasnt even started yet so i figure I'd ask while he has it all apart. Does a treble bleed work on both pickups with one alteration? Because a muddy neck position is something I've always thought happens. I've always been a everything full on guy but learning to use the knobs is something I'm interested in.

9. Go Nigel Go

Exactly how it works will depend on how everything gets wired up. Essentially what a treble bleed does is allow high frequencies to pass rather than being attenuated by additional resistance in a volume or tone control (again depends on where the circuit is installed). Theoretically it could be wired to work with either, or both pickups depending on what you want it to do for you. The most important step of any mod like this is to determine in advance what you are starting with and what you want the results to be. *Edit to add: Be sure to adjust string height, pickup height, and pole pieces before deciding your tone is lacking!

You should probably just do a basic wiring set up to start with (unless you already know what you want). That way you can experiment with the settings and see if the sound you want is already present or if you need something that is not available with any control configuration. Changing electronics is not hard to do, but if you are just taking a shot in the dark based on what somebody else says worked for them, you may wind up doing it over and over and over, never getting any benefit since the electrons will just do their thing no regard for what you want or what someone else promised. Many people on line will just give you a blanket value judgment, with no audio clips, and no information about what they were using with regards to settings, amp, pedals, musical styles, etc. etc. etc. Remember that everything in the signal chain matters and should have a solid reason for being there to avoid running a lot of unnecessary components that work against each other. The simplest signal chain that gives the desired result will always be the most reliable and predictable.

Most electronics modifications will come with a tradeoff. You may gain in one area and lose something in another area. The trick is always to know where you are starting from, and where you want to go from there. If you have a lot of muddy sounds and would prefer more definition and sparkle, some sort of treble bleed circuit may indeed help. If it already sounds great, it may hurt rather than help your tone and you may lose the ability to roll off treble for darker sounds.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Kirk Dahnke likes this.
  10. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed reply. Was just asking a particular person about his opinion on a treble bleed on particular set of pickups for an SG. Not trying to be a jerk but i'm 51 and have been playing since 1983. I've had a ton of guitars and was interested in something new.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  11. Go Nigel Go

So about the same as me, 56 and started on guitar in '83. :D

I also agree life is too short for me to waste any of it being a jerk on the internet. You are of course free to take any approach you like, and I totally get (and share) your desire to "try something new" from time to time. I just suggest taking a measured and organized approach to electronics mods from a solid baseline in order to best evaluate what the changes are actually doing for you, but that is just what has always worked for me. One man's opinion in a world full of them. :cheers: Cheers!

Kirk Dahnke likes this.
  12. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

Honestly, I tried to delete my comment. Too much time cooped up. Cheers brother.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  13. JH1968

JH1968 Member

Yes, the treble bleed works on both pickups. I think having the treble bleed really helps with the neck pickup clarity.

Kirk Dahnke likes this.
  14. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

Thanks brother!

15. JH1968

JH1968 Member

Kirk Dahnke likes this.
  16. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

Thanks brother! I think I'll just stick with the Slash pickups with 50s wiring. I already bought all the upgraded parts seperatley. I was just curious because it's currently at my tech. He hasn't dug into it and I figured if there was something I wanted to try I should tell him now because it's always at least a week wait to get it back.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  17. Håkon

Håkon New Member

They have a Good grunt to em. I like them In my standard. Going to put covers on and keep them there

Attached Files:

Kirk Dahnke likes this.