Slide or whammy bar?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by jbailes, Aug 21, 2017.

1. jbailes

jbailes New Member

Hello All,
    I've learned all the parts to Black Sabbath's The Mob Rules. As you know, there's some parts of the song that needs a tremolo bar. And of course Tony has an SG equipped with a Floyd Rose for that song. Since I'm not really keen to get a guitar that has a Floyd Rose, would a slide serve as an adequate substitute?

For those who remember the band Boston, the Floyd rose wasn't invented yet, but for many of their songs they used slides. Les pauls and SGs were used in that band.

2. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

To my ear they are two totally different types of effects, but there are times when a slide can carry the load. I think of songs like Whole Lotta Love where page dives with a slide.

I also hear similar vibes from some of Derek Trucks' licks, which are usually always with a slide.

3. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I agree. Sometimes simply bending is closer to tremolo than sliding. Of course, it's hard to bend a chord.

Dave_Death likes this.
  4. dexspeed

dexspeed Active Member

Floyd Rose FRX or a Stetsbar. Those might help you get the sound you're after and both are reversible with no damage to your guitar.

I've got an FRX on one of my g-400s. Does the trick and is just as stable as my other Floyd guitars, although I can't dive bomb through as many tones (about 2 and a half steps or so)

5. jbailes

jbailes New Member

Really!?.....I'll check into that. Also , if you've seen Steve Vai's video to Bad Horsie, that's done with slide also, and it's pretty crazy.

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That guy is a monster !