So easy to play

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Sgfreak101, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

Why is the Sg so easy to play?

It feels that the string's are spread far enough apart that it makes it nice to finger style play.

It's neck is so slick and so comfoortible in my hand, The neck doesn't feel heavy to me at all and it's nice to hold.

It's a very smooth guitar even unplugged it has a nice sustain.

I'm IN LOVE :)

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what the percentage would be but I think it's frame of mind to me handling balance. 8)

3. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

Six String, You could be right but it's the easest thing I've ever played though.

4. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

The medium scale length and a somewhat wider and flatter neck is what works for me. My acoustic that got played the most prior to my SG conversion has a narrower neck, thicker neck (almost a v shape) and longer scale length make it more challenging for me.

Plus it's a quality instrument, that helps too.

5. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

i love sg bodies, but i just dont like their necks. i like the longer necks, that are wider with bigger frets. bigger string spacing too. much better for fat fingers like mine.

6. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=nynvolt link=topic=17941.msg220629#msg220629 date=1224119991]
    The medium scale length and a somewhat wider and flatter neck is what works for me. My acoustic that got played the most prior to my SG conversion has a narrower neck, thicker neck (almost a v shape) and longer scale length make it more challenging for me.

Plus it's a quality instrument, that helps too.
    [/quote]Your right and I love how the sg sounds, I've transitioned from an acoustic to the sg.

Arlabester , I don't have fat fingers just long and skinny ones.

7. LOTF

LOTF Member

I think a big factor is the light weight. I sure can feel the difference when I pick up one of my SGs after playing Teles. The neck depends on the model. My '61 RI has that slender, '60s-style neck I love but the Standards and under have the '50s fat necks. That may be great for Arlebester and others with big hands but I don't like 'em one bit, myself.

8. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I agree with the lightweight comment. That is one of the coolest things about SG guitars. They are light enough that you don't get neck and back strain like with a les paul.

9. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

Or with a 22 pound resonator.

10. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

i do have fat fingers though, thats the point.

11. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

Oh man I'm falling in love with my sg,

Can you really fall in love with an inadiment object the same as you would a woman?

Arlabester, no matter you should be able to play fine :)

My guitar tech has fat fingers and he taught at the college for years.

12. ace

ace New Member

i love the weight of a LP, but an SG is very fluid to play. whether playing slow blues of fast metal, it is very comfortable. played my LP today after a few months of playing the sg, and it felt nice and fat and heavy, but a bit awkwad.

13. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

[quote author=Sgfreak101 link=topic=17941.msg220667#msg220667 date=1224185827]
    Oh man I'm falling in love with my sg,

Can you really fall in love with an inadiment object the same as you would a woman?

Arlabester, no matter you should be able to play fine :)

My guitar tech has fat fingers and he taught at the college for years.

[/quote]

I've played many 24 3/4 " scale lengths. It's just too small for my meaty hands. I also like the increased tension, snappyness, and ka-chunk along with rich harmonics that are associated with 25 1/2 " scale lengths. The ka-chunk is the feedback from the string that's really tight, that in my opinion, you cant get from a 24 3/4 " .

14. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=Arlabester link=topic=17941.msg220842#msg220842 date=1224476362]
    I've played many 24 3/4 " scale lengths. It's just too small for my meaty hands. I also like the increased tension, snappyness, and ka-chunk along with rich harmonics that are associated with 25 1/2 " scale lengths. The ka-chunk is the feedback from the string that's really tight, that in my opinion, you cant get from a 24 3/4 " .
    [/quote]Well I'm still learning to play so right now I'm not too familiar with scales lengths and such, however I di understand about the string tightness and the Ka Clack sound "This is one hell of a mean animal for sliding specially in DROP D"

15. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

[quote author=Sgfreak101 link=topic=17941.msg220862#msg220862 date=1224525864]
    Well I'm still learning to play so right now I'm not too familiar with scales lengths and such, however I di understand about the string tightness and the Ka Clack sound "This is one hell of a mean animal for sliding specially in DROP D"

[/quote]i dont play in drop tunings. i personally think its a cheaters way of sounding heavy.

16. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=Arlabester link=topic=17941.msg220867#msg220867 date=1224532937]
    i dont play in drop tunings. i personally think its a cheaters way of sounding heavy.
    [/quote]Drop tunings for slide player pretty much.