So, I'm gonna start teaching guitar...

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by smitty_p, Nov 23, 2014.

1. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

...to my daughter.

So, for anyone who teaches guitar, what are some good materials I could use to help me, as the instructor?

I was largely self-taught, so I can't really use my own experiences, other than to try to not pass on my mistakes. I did take lessons for a few years; however, so that helps.

Luckily, my daughter already plays piano and some flute, so she is not new to music, per se.

iblive likes this.
  2. Dorian

Dorian Active Member

That's wonderful! How old is she, and what type of music does she like?

I had music lessons from age 6 to 14 for piano (solo) and trumpet (in band), but I spent most of my time working on pieces I didn't like. When I got a piece I liked, after a short time my teacher declared it "finished", and then moved on to something else.

3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Thats good of you Smitty.plus its quality time with your daughter.i have 3 kids and when they were from about 11,12 and 13 i bought one a drum set,one a bass and the other a guitar.then wed set up this stuff on a addition i was building on the house and preceed to rock.we would play,well attept to play Sabbath,AC/DC ect.it was crude and pretty bad but we had a blast.i was like the Jack Black of the house lol.Rock on man and have fun

eS.G. likes this.
  4. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

PM Kevy Nova. It's what he does for a
    living. Pretty sure he has a boat load of suggestions.

5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Kevy---kevy---kevy!!!!:dude::dude:

Or would that be Head Master Nova?????:applause:

6. smitty_p

Thanks, Dorian.

She's 18. She started piano several years ago. She's pretty disciplined, but she's in college now, so I have to be sure not to overload her. She's kind of like her dad, in that she likes theory, so I've been trying to work that in to explain some of the "why" and not just the "how."

7. Dorian

Dorian Active Member

Two books that I found useful for learning guitar, which also have some theory and explanations in them, are
    "Blues You can Use" by John Ganapes (Hal Leonard)
    and
    "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar" by Troy Stetina (Hal Leonard)

The Ganapes book covers a range of blues styles from Delta blues to hard rock. It is organized song-by-song.
    Stetina's book is focused on metal guitar and shredding, culminating at a high level with a guitar version of Flight of the Bumblebee. This is not my style, but I found this book very good for developing technique.

Also, there is the book
    "Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar" by Jamie Anreas (self published). It doesn't really teach specific things, but it focuses on how to practice and how to learn.

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

As a music teacher, I would say that depends on whether you want to teach her to play songs by ear first or get her to read music and play classical, etc.

9. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

I was taking lessons and the guy teaching me was very good. He was teaching me chord theory, scales, and was real big into the Nashville Numbering System. It made a lot of sense. He is a song writer from Nashville. I had to stop taking lessons to save money but plan to go back as soon as my divorce is finalized. My point is I guess what he was teaching me was very interesting and I plan to continue my lessons soon.

I also learned a lot from watching videos by Mike Christiansen. He is a very good teacher. You are trying to learn how to teach. Maybe you can learn by watching some videos by some really good teachers.

I think to be a good teacher you have to first have a desire to want to share what you have learned. It sounds like you won't have any problem passing on some useful information.

10. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

So how are the lessons going smitty? Since this thread started I have started taking lessons from a new instructor. He is the polar opposite from the guy I was learning from. The first guy was teaching theory. My new instructor plays by ear and is teaching me riffs, scales, and chords. I must say I am learning a lot faster the second way.

Give us an update. This thread interests me because I have a 2-1/2 year old boy that has taken a real interest in my guitars. He plugged in my SG last night on the stand, plugged the cable into the amp. I thought "thats awesome!". Then he turned on the amp, and came and asked me for a freakin pick! Sorry. Proud papa moment!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  11. smitty_p

Indy,

It's going well, although we missed two lessons as I was out of town for work.

Fortunately for me, my daughter and I have similar personalities. She specifically asked me to teach her some theory, which I like. For example, she wants to know WHY a certain fingering makes a certain chord...not just how to make it. Of course, there's more to theory than that, but that's just one example.

To me this is an important point...that is to try to understand the personality of the student.

At this point, I spend about the first half of our lesson time going over the theory of what we're going to do, then the remainder going over the "how" to do it. Then I assign some simple things to practice on.