So there are no legit SG kits? Reshape and Refinish a Faded?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Clay, Oct 21, 2017.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Tell me this is not your new lowered action !

syscokid and Plan Zero like this.
  2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Someone can of course correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand that neck you pictured does have binding, it's just made of the same rosewood as the fretboard and so it blends in. On necks without any binding the ends of the fret tangs will be visible, like this,

Neck-Joint.jpg

PermissionToLand and Plan Zero like this.
  3. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Maestro binding:
    1519994931176-1386663780.jpg

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

AH ! I didn't really see the maple part of the neck as the top of the image appeared on my screen. I was like ... that's a skinny neck !

1519994931176-1386663780.jpg

Plan Zero and PermissionToLand like this.
  5. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Me too Doc. :rofl:

6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Tenon length improves stability of the joint, but some people claim it increases sustain or improves tone somehow.

Whether certain features make a difference is entirely dependent on what the feature is and what the claimed difference is. Some things, like the tenon size affecting stability, are just simple matters of physics. But others, like Hide Glue creating superior tone, are entirely nonsense pseudoscience.

Personally, I like the ability to pitch shift by shaking my SG. No vibrato needed! If your neck is pitch shifting while you're trying to play normally, you are doing something VERY wrong.

As for the bevels, it's an aesthetic thing. Deeper bevels more dramatically highlight the curves of the body. To those who say bevels do not matter, I have to wonder why they bought an SG if not for the beauty of its design?

syscokid, vonserke and SG standard like this.
  7. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

That's the ultra slim lightning fast neck. I just realized the binding is dark brown not black (color blind) but only visible upon close inspection. Seems like a lot of work to save a few bucks on a baked maple neck. The fret ends were also sharp as **** when I got it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Well-Known Member

The 2013 tributes have your bevels you want.

Tom

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I cannot be bothered with bevels. For me it’s all about the neck how it plays.

10. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

Most of my building experience was in Les Paul's. So over the years I have accumulated a few. But I was ever missing that SG in my collection. I feel we share a feeling here. We want our SG with the right stuff.

I shopped til my eyes were ready to pop out for a decent piece of wood, and that just proved bad economics, but I finally found a good mahogany body. I weighed out using used bodies, even bolt ons, but in the end, I don't want just another copy. Then I bought a separate neck to get just what I wanted. Mahogany, no scarf joints, binding, trapezoid fret markers and a somewhat longer heel and the teardrop routing at the truss rod adjuster.

In the end I am shooting for a 64 replica but I wanted more strength in the neck joint. I am still tossing around which pick guard. the 64 standard used the small guard, but I am somewhat fond of the large batwing. The body was routed for the early 60 to early 64 cavity, but there is room to reroute it for later years. I also got a neck with a volute. Not correct for 64, but I like it too. Even so, that can be shaved off if I want to get real artsy.

I have used pickups in the past from Guitar Madnesss (ebay search g.m.) with a choice in alnico 2 and alnico 5, among others. Decent price and real nice sound to my ear. Kluson tuners are available with double line double rings. and the wiring harness is easy to come by. I have used cts pots in the past, but have also had them come completely apart, so, you are on your own there, get a full kit or piece one together. not much to it on an SG.

so far, my cost in body and neck are at about 140. I shot a best offer on both, they didn't move all that much. I think I got a pretty decent drop on the neck, but then had to reset and re glue some of the fret markers, so that evened out. I ran a wet cloth over the fret board just enough to see if any of them would pop out. Sure enough, a couple did. Better to find this before you get it all strung up and are out playing someplace.

Expect to do some minor cutting and or routing to fit your neck if you go this route. I will have to set my neck angle, remove some from below the heel on the neck and then rout it for the neck pup. But I expect it to come out the way I want it and have a stronger joint compared with the early SG's.

here is a link to the body I ordered. (I hope that link posting is cool)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-electr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

honestly, I don't know what link for the neck. I got it a while back for around 50 u.s. and by mistake, I was ordering a neck for a les paul with volute at the time.

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Retrobump