So who is the new gibson CEO exactly?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by GrumpyOldDBA, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Well... there's a turn up for the books.

Expect more relic finishes a.k.a. stonewashed, neck profiles to be available in slim taper, skinny or extreme skinny, and endless variations of the same theme being rehashed each year (so no change there).

Can't help wondering if James is short (and Curleigh).

Worblehat likes this.
  3. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Geez give the new team a break for a while please ha ha!

Some huge differences starting off. The debt problems caused by many factors but including some bad decisions by prior management are basically thrown so they get to start with a clean balance sheet.

The new guy was able to run a profitable business at levis during a challenging last ten years. So just maybe this experience base is meaningful.

Plus KKR has majority ownership so will exercise financial discretion over direction company proceeds in down the road.

Lets keep fingers crossed!

4. Biddlin

The corporate hype is that most of the new guys are guitar players and really care about the brand. I hope so. I hope they care enough not to offshore it. A pair of Levi's 501s made in the USA sells for almost $100. 99+% of Levis are made in China, Viet Nam, Mexico and other Latin American countries. When new SG specials start listing at $1800, will you still be happy about the changes?

5. GrumpyOldDBA

Hmmm i havent really looked at where my levis are made but typically can get a pair about 40 bucks now.

Lets try to be optimistic here?

6. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Nope. Hope for the best but expect the worst.
    Don't breathe a sigh of relief just yet. JC may have that "Life Styles" disorder as well. Unlike King Henry, we can only hope that he is taking his meds and following the prescribed treatment plan. [​IMG]

Proof:

SG standard likes this.
  7. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

As far as Levi's go, seems like I was spending upwards of $60-$80 last time I bought them. They've been my favs all my life but they were only lasting me a couple of months since they outsourced them . I stopped buying them. That being said I'm optimistic about this new group. Couldn't stand Henry and hopefully they can't do worse.

8. GrumpyOldDBA

Hey this is going way off target here but typically at least a couple of times a year my current favorite mall retailer ( JC Penneys ... hope they survive next 10 years ) has a big sale on Levis they go down quite a bit from the usual retail price. I'm lucky enough at work in my current technology job and workplace that I can ( and do ) wear blue jeans all day every day. ( Same place I used to have to wear a tie every day 20 years ago but things have changed plus I was off working other places 15 years ).

I pretty much only buy Levis and really have not seen any big change in how they wear / how long they wear. But that's just my opinion. I am a marketing survivor of the 60s and 70s so Levis has me captured.

I did take a look at that video and sure any big company has hype and attitude and marketing hutzpah and slogans. That's a path one has to take to perhaps survive the birdhouse and get to the big executive chairs ( and the pay range up there ).

Levi's and Gibson work together in many ways don't they? For many of us of a certain age anyhow ... it makes some kind of sense to me at least.

The challenge that Gibson has is keeping a brand identity and vision and a perceived valuation in the buyers mind that they are a premium product ... much the same concept as Levis has.

Time will tell how the new team does in keeping the train rolling now that is no longer headed down the dark tunnel of debt rollovers.

9. Biddlin

A couple of final thoughts on this topic and I'm done.
    The new team amd CEO are folks who peripherally are associated with guitars. Levi Strauss baled on most US manufacturing under the new CEOs reign. Probably not solely his responsibility, but the fact is that 99+% of Levis are made overseas in third world factories. Currently the big guitar makers split their production between US plants and foreign countries where labor is cheap. One can scarcely imagine the new corporate team preferring US jobs over corporate profits.
    Second and last: There are lots of used Gibson guitars out there. There are a ton of 2015-2018 guitars that haven't been sold yet. It is a buyers market right now because of the economy and the fact that fewer people are choosing to play guitar. As in all material things, when you see one you want, buy it.
    I hope that the new management is successful and that Gibson remains a US company, but at the end of the day, they are just a company, like Western Union and we can live without them.