SOLD: 1974 SG Standard

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by Duane_the_tub, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Member

Great sounding and playing 1974 SG Standard for sale. This is the very definition of a player grade vintage guitar; it's got some "character" due to mods and maintenance over the years, but the wood is solid, it's original where it counts and it just freakin' ROCKS.

Serial # and pot codes both date to '74. I bought it from the original owner, who filled me in as best he could on its history. Harness, knobs, pickguard, pickup rings and TRC appear to all be original. Here is where it gets interesting: Original owner said pickups are as well, but the bridge is a tarback and the neck is a (period correct) T-top. It's certainly possible that it came from the factory this way, as Gibson workers were known to just grab parts from bins in a pinch. The pickups sound truly awesome, so it never bothered me. Solder joints don't help, as they appear to be many decades old if not original.

Originally had a Bigsby, replaced a long time ago. Has a period-correct harmonica bridge and stoptail on it now. Looks like the headstock inlay must have come out at some point, and it was filled and oversprayed. Tuners are replacement Grover Deluxes. Nut was also replaced, original is in the case.

At some point it had a refret, apparently performed by Conan the Barbarian. There is a fair amount of tear-out, especially around the high frets; most of it was filled but not color matched so it's visible. It is what it is. The fretboard feels and plays fine, just doesn't look perfect up close.

Like I said, she's a survivor - no cracks or breaks. Neck is solid as a rock at both ends. There is a small rose painted on the body, around where your picking arm rests; it's subtle and tasteful so it never bothered me. This guitar would need a refin to be a collector's piece anyway.

As is, it's a sweet old vintage SG with 70s rock tone in spades. Sounds amazing, especially through a pushed tube amp. This could easily be someone's #1 playing electric just as it sits. With a little love and a refin, it could also be restored aesthetically. That was my original plan.

Original case is included, but frankly it's pretty beat up. Price is SOLD plus actual shipping. I'm happy to connect with potential buyers and provide anything else you'd like, but please be serious. I have as many references as you'll need, on MLP and other forums as well as Ebay. Thanks for reading.

1631805804973.jpg
    1631805847181.jpg
    1631805864178.jpg
    1631805885601.jpg
    1631805904857.jpg
    1631805926466.jpg
    1631805993518.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  2. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Member