Some Quick Questions About SG Standard '61 Models

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by colchar, Oct 4, 2021.

1. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Nothing really special about an SG '61 RI. They get too much hype IMO. It's just an SG Standard with a small guard. They aren't any better or worse than any other SG model. It's all personal preference.

The one I had was just not working out for me. Sounded very ice picky to my ears and the neck was just not a good fit to my hand. I can't stand those shredder necks that are thin and flat on the backside. Maybe I just got one where they got a little too aggressive with the belt sander.

colchar likes this.
  2. colchar

colchar Active Member

I far prefer the small pick guard which means that my options are '13, '17, and '18 Standards and then the '61 Standards or reissues.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

If you want an SG like a '61 Ri consider 2013, 2014 and 2015 Standards, my 2015

SG Standard TBK 240 1.jpg

colchar likes this.
  4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

All the differences are detailed here: https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/SG_Standard

In summary: 2013 Standard is the same as a '61 RI except for the headstock shape and chrome hardware. 2017 is basically a Standard with a small pickguard and Slim Taper neck. 2019-Present '61 Standard only differs from the '61 RI in the headstock shape and pickups.

SGBreadfan and colchar like this.
  5. colchar

colchar Active Member

The '14s have baked maple fretboards so are out for me, and the '15s came with the Les Paul writing on the headstock which was a turnoff for me. But I am definitely looking at '13s.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. colchar

colchar Active Member

The ones they show on the Gibson website have different tuners and knobs, which really threw me off and made me think the one I posted earlier in the thread was a '61.

7. colchar

colchar Active Member

If I could find one of these at a cheaper price I'd be all over it because I love the look. Just remove the arm and I'd be good to go.

https://reverb.com/ca/item/40819454-gibson-sg-standard-61-maestro-vibrola-vintage-cherry

8. PermissionToLand

Nope, that was a 2017 Standard. Knobs and tuners are easy to swap out. The '61 Reissue never came in that Cherry Burst finish and didn't exist in 2017 anyway. Also the heel design is completely different.

9. colchar

colchar Active Member

10. PermissionToLand

11. colchar

colchar Active Member

The seller swears it is all original and is a 2017 model, which is what made me think it was a '61.

12. PermissionToLand

Well the seller is wrong (about it being all original). Nothing new there!

13. papagayo

Right, the 2015 SG Standard is a Limited Edition with adjustable nut and real MOP inlays. The only problem on this version is the heavy GForce tuners, an upgrade for light weight tuners is necessary.

14. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

15. colchar

colchar Active Member

I didn't end up buying that 2013 Standard. I went to check it out this afternoon, but did not like the neck on it at all as it had too much shoulder for me. If playing slide it might have been fine, but not when playing normally. It also reminded me of why I got rid of a '13 Standard that I used to own.

I had a friend at my local store transfer in a '61 Stopbar for me so we'll see what it is like. It costs more than I ever thought I'd spend on an SG but that is just the way prices are now as my buddy showed me their selling prices on used ones over the last year. With prices continuing to go up (Gibson had a price increase this week), best to get one now. I'm kicking myself for letting go of a previous SG that I had liked.

I've got an SG Special that I paid $399 for so can always sell that to offset the cost of a new SG.

16. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Here's an interesting comparison of neck heels. From left to right: '86 Standard (my OG), '08 Classic, and the 2021 '61 Standard. The most interesting thing about the '61 heel is you can play all the way up to the 22nd fret and never touch it.
    IMG_0628.jpeg IMG_0629.jpeg IMG_0630.jpeg

17. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That 61 neck looks really thin.
    Just like the SG '61 RI from the past.
    I don't see how people cannot tell the difference between those slim taper necks and the baseball bats. It's like night and day for me.

papagayo and colchar like this.
  18. papagayo

2014 SG Standard has a rosewood fretboard, you can check here: http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/SG-Standard.aspx

2015 SG Standard,

SG Standard TBK 236.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  19. MR D

MR D Active Member

YEP, right again CB...Do you have an encyclopedia on SG's ? or do you buy three of each GIBSON sells ? N E Way, the 2017 SG Standard 'Black Beauty' I got has the White binding and it makes the guitars binding look soooo much better than that Pink-y and the brain beige binding. I waited a few years for GIBSON to put that '17 SG STANDARD together. The '17 SG Standard's came w/HSCase, Locking Grovers, '57's in N&B Pickup's and Rolled White Binding, at 7Lbs. 10 Ounces mine is perfectly balanced and is hands down the best SG I ever played, out of at least 20. I knew it as soon as I hit an open 'E'. It Blows the strings off of the 2020 SG Standard I just got even with Pickup's swapped out of the 2020 Standard.

At $1299 ALL-IN the 2017 SG Standards were a bargain and a half. sorry I did not buy 3 of them. The Cherry-Burst colour in 2017 was a one-off too, DANG ! I figured incorrectly, "Next year"...right.

20. MR D

MR D Active Member

Neck Joint the same ? IDK about the '13 Standard but the 2021 '61 Standard is 22nd......if the 2013 is 19TH Fret NJ, thats the one, as long as the guitar checks out OK.
    I could check the specs but figure you would know if the '61 Standards have a Long Tennon neck joint ? That could persuade me to go with the '61 Standard.