Some Quick Questions About SG Standard '61 Models

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by colchar, Oct 4, 2021.

1. colchar

colchar Active Member

2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

2012 SG Standard has rosewood or ebony fingerboard.

Sorry .....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  3. Derald

Derald Active Member

I have to agree the 2017-18 Standard was probably the best SG Gibson put out in 50 years. Thin neck, locking Grovers, small guard, Classic 57 or Burstbucker 61s. Colors other than black and cherry red. Should have bought two and kept them..

Huntroll likes this.
  4. papagayo

I prefer SG Standard body with a full face pickguard, a small pickguard fits perfectly a '61 body.
    All tastes are in nature.

May be the best choice is no pickguard :thumb:

Temp 47744.JPG

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    tetzip, colchar and gypsyseven like this.
  5. colchar

colchar Active Member

Which was the year Gibson was forced to use baked maple?

I saw an SG recently that I was going to make an offer on (Reverb) but backed off when I saw it had a baked maple board.

Found it - 2012 '61 Reissue satin:

https://reverb.com/ca/item/45186938-gibson-sg-61-reissue-satin-2012-worn-cherry

And some digging around elsewhere on the web shows that they did indeed have baked maple boards in 2012.

6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Maple or not is just a matter of taste but in this case I'd say no thank you on account of the price for a guitar with a half assed paint job (called "satin") and the limitations this shows in pic 14 where the most unnatural of wear is presented as natural wear. That in itself should knock the price down. He seems open to offers though.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Decadent Dan likes this.
  7. papagayo

8. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

The seller is asking a glossy price for a used satin finish and double shipping.

colchar likes this.
  9. MR D

MR D Active Member

Yes, those years were the best consecutive years I've seen in many a decade.(2011-2012 were no slouches either but no Locking TM's, IIRC) The Stock Equipment, Weight, the entire package ('57's/'61's, Locking Grovers/White Rolled Binding and awesome real HSCase @ fair price). IDK but in 2016 GIBSON was reeling from 2014-2015 complaints about Min-E Tune and G-Farce being stock equipment on USA line Standards, customers/players were frikkin disgusted w/GIBSON !
    Then the 2016 SG Standard came with a HAG-BAG......GIBSON needed to up their game (I was waiting for them to make the 2017 SG Standard), and the 2017 2018 USA line proved GIBSON heard their customers loudly and clearly.
    Then GIBSON reverted back to form...the 2020 SG 'Modern' Standard: 490's/No Locking Grovers/ slightly thinner body, 2 lbs lighter (some people like that tho...) and ,of course...TA-DA.......The HAG-BAG ! and all for $200 price increase ($415 if you get a HSCase).....
    I kinda learned the difficult way that, when I am looking for a guitar.... I have to wait for GIBSON to put what I want on a Guitar, wait as long as it takes, then grab it b4 they change it.M2M is for the richer guys.

10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The Standard actually always kept its Rosewood fretboard. You're thinking of the 2011-2012 SG Standard Limited:

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/SG_Standard_Limited

Those are often sold as regular Standards on the used market, which leads to the confusion.

colchar likes this.
  11. PermissionToLand

I like satin finishes. Very comfortable on a neck.

But where can you get a glossy '61 RI for $1,250?

Edit: I stand corrected. When did '61 RI prices drop like this? For years they were typically around $1500 and anything under $1,300 was rare.

https://reverb.com/price-guide?query=gibson+sg+61+reissue

12. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

That's exactly what I did.
    I checked out the 2017 SG standards at the local GC then had them ship in 2 brand new, factory sealed units.
    Thanks for your vote of confidence on that acquisition, Derald.
    So far, I've been able to hold on to them both.
    One of them is totally stock & un-played while the other has black witch hat knobs and Schaller deluxe 2-ring tuners installed, still on its first set of EB extra slinkys.
    My only complaint is the NIBs !

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  13. colchar

colchar Active Member

Those prices are old or unrealistic. Look at the first one (the 2011), the prices are from 2012-13. The first white one listed (I love white SGs) shows a price range of $1126-$1607, and they are somehow basing that on a single transaction from 2014 in which the guitar sold for $1251. Others are merely estimated prices with no actual transaction history at all.

I find the Reverb price guide to be highly inaccurate at times.

If someone could find SGs currently being offered for those prices, I'd be all over it.

On another note, I am going to check out a 2018 Standard this weekend (possibly today). It is in the autumn shade finish which I really like.

14. MR D

MR D Active Member

The 2018 SG Standard in Autumn Shade is a FINE CHOICE. I bet as soon as you pick it up it will be yours ! AN Open 'E' or F# Barre Chord should seal the dealio .....Post a pic when you get it home, yes? IIRC, the price new was $1399 and they are selling on reverb, from some people, for more than that.....you should be able to get a FINE one, if a bit pricey though.

colchar likes this.
  15. PermissionToLand

Wow, I should have looked deeper. I did think it was strange how they split them apart by every single model year. Especially strange because these are very common SGs, whereas a more rare model like the Angus Young signature has a lengthy record of sales in their price guide.

colchar likes this.
  16. colchar

colchar Active Member

Here in Canada they sold new for $1729 before taxes. In Ontario where I am, taxes bring that up to $1953.

I checked it out today and really liked it. His original asking price was $1600. I would have been happy paying $1500, and thrilled to pay $1400, so I am really happy with the $1450 that I paid.

I stopped by the store that I deal with to speak to their guitar tech, who is a friend of mine. He didn't have any reflector knobs in stock so he ordered some. As soon as they arrive I'll take it to him along with a set of pointers and new strings. He'll then put the pointers and knobs on, put the poker chip on, switch it to '50s wiring, then string it up and set it up.

While I am waiting for the knobs to arrive I'll fart around with it as is.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  17. colchar

colchar Active Member

That is a beautiful colour.

papagayo likes this.
  18. colchar

colchar Active Member

This is a crappy picture, but here she is:

[​IMG]

Decadent Dan and papagayo like this.
  19. MR D

MR D Active Member

NICE, Congrats Dude ! you'll have a blast w/That I'm sure ! You are in Canada, yes? That expllains the differnce in Dollar amounts.....The Canadian Dollar has been getting hit lately....IDK how badly but that sucks...these guitars are surely expensive enough.

That is the classic SG look if I ever saw it.......Sharp Axe right there Bro ! '61's ROAR !

colchar likes this.
  20. colchar

colchar Active Member

Yep, in Canada so guitars cost more due to the exchange rate.

As much as I like cherry SGs, I like that this isn't the same as all the others.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021