Something to go with my SG...

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I fancied something with a 50s profile neck as a change from my slim taper SG and Epiphone Les Paul which has a very slim neck profile. I also have a 2011 60s Tribute Gold Top Les Paul, so I only went in the shop to try this 'Gibson Les Paul Junior in Tobacco Sunburst' to see if it is different enough from my GT to justify getting.

Needless to say it came home with me...It is one of those guitars that I picked up and felt instantly at home with. I played for over an hour in the shop, going through most of my current set list (in a demo room, so the rest of the shop didn't have to listen :D).

The neck is a really chunky size; I guess what some might call a 'baseball bat'. This alone makes a difference in the way it feels to play compared to the GT, but oddly the two guitars do sound different when played back to back through the same amp (bridge pickup selected on the GT). I did consider that if I found they were too similar when I got home that I'd maybe sell the GT since I have the SG and (much upgraded) Epiphone LP though they are both humbucker equiped guitars and I do love the sound of the GT on the neck pickup. So instead I plan to sell a Gretsch Electromatic that I've never really bonded with...one in/one out.

Photos (with the obligatory Marshall in shot of course :dude:).

Junior 4 edit.jpg
Junior 5 edit.jpg
Junior 7 edit.jpg

I've dug out some gold Top hat knobs and a metal jack plate, plus I ordered a pair of nickel knob pointers, as fitted to the '57 Custom shop version. I'll fit these later this week when the pointers arrive.

Currently using a Fender strap(!) as it's not weight relieved, but isn't as heavy as my Epiphone LP which needs a wide strap. Might have to treat it to a handmade strap like I got for my SG from a guy in the North of England.

Last edited:

PixMix

Reaction score
That's a gorgeous looking Junior! HNGD! I'm going to have to check one of these out.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
My god, thats a beauty. My dream LP right there. What year is it? Is it custom shop?

It's brand new, though I guess 2019 stock. Standard made in USA, not Custom shop.

Just waiting for the nickel pointers to arrive so I can swap the knobs over. Maybe I'll order an aged switch tip too. ;):D

Last night I played for a while after my wife went to bed. I put it through a little Vox MV50AC I have and into headphones. I can't wait to try it through my 1x12 Greenback cab, because it worked really well with the Vox. Of course it sounds killer through the Mini Jubilee as well (yet to try my SV20H).

Didds

Reaction score
It's brand new, though I guess 2019 stock. Standard made in USA, not Custom shop.

Just waiting for the nickel pointers to arrive so I can swap the knobs over. Maybe I'll order an aged switch tip too. ;):D

Last night I played for a while after my wife went to bed. I put it through a little Vox MV50AC I have and into headphones. I can't wait to try it through my 1x12 Greenback cab, because it worked really well with the Vox. Of course it sounds killer through the Mini Jubilee as well (yet to try my SV20H).
Oh wow! I wasn't aware they were doing Juniors in sunburst these days. Gonna have to get myself one of these

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
We can all use buddies.

Your Gold Top looks like my 60s Tribute...the Junior is different enough in feel and sound to justify having both...but is an excuse to get rid of a Gretsch that I just haven't bonded with.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I made some slight changes; I had some spare Gold Top hat knobs and I ordered some nickel pointers, a 1 ply truss rod cover and a metal jack plate to make it more like the 57 Custom shop model (I'm a sucker for the pointers and top hats anyway).

Haven't fitted the metal plate yet, but I think the Gold top hat knobs suit it better:
Junior 13.jpg

EDIT: I put the metal jack plate on and the 1 ply truss rod cover today, so it's now completed with the full '57 Custom Shop look, which I like. :)

Junior 17.jpg
Single ply truss rod cover:
Junior 16.jpg

Last edited:

richey88

Reaction score
Cool Jr.! Congrats, I like the gold knobs you have there, looks classic.

RhinestoneStrat

Reaction score
I made some slight changes; I had some spare Gold Top hat knobs and I ordered some nickel pointers, a 1 ply truss rod cover and a metal jack plate to make it more like the 57 Custom shop model (I'm a sucker for the pointers and top hats anyway).

Haven't fitted the metal plate yet, but I think the Gold top hat knobs suit it better:
View attachment 39690

EDIT: I put the metal jack plate on and the 1 ply truss rod cover today, so it's now completed with the full '57 Custom Shop look, which I like. :)

View attachment 39697
Single ply truss rod cover:
View attachment 39698

The control knobs look good but the gold knobs seem too light. You should try the darker amber knobs which would contrast more nicely.:smile:

7080173-l.jpg

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
The control knobs look good but the gold knobs seem too light. You should try the darker amber knobs which would contrast more nicely.:smile:

Not so keen on those to be honest. This video of a real 1957 Junior looks like it has the more gold coloured knobs, also the Custom Shop Juniors have too. Of course, no problem if you want to fit the amber ones to yours, just not my preference. Barely had chance to play it lately though as it was in a wardrobe of our spare bedroom and my wife had symptoms, so we had to isolate from each other and she went in that room...

RhinestoneStrat

Reaction score
Not so keen on those to be honest. This video of a real 1957 Junior looks like it has the more gold coloured knobs, also the Custom Shop Juniors have too. Of course, no problem if you want to fit the amber ones to yours, just not my preference. Barely had chance to play it lately though as it was in a wardrobe of our spare bedroom and my wife had symptoms, so we had to isolate from each other and she went in that room...

I don't own a Gibson Junior but I do own a lot of Stratocasters & one of them has a set of amber knobs that tickles me fancy. Hey the golds looks good and it's all a matter of preference.;)

full

Latest posts