Soooo...this followed me home last night...

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Hammer, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

CL pic...sorry...no time today to take anything proper. Raunchy, dirty little eff'er. It was a single coil MM. It was bastardized in the 70s with a Super Distortion in the bridge, the original single coil moved to the middle and a 70s Gibson mini in the neck. Three on/off mini toggles, one for each pup and the original knobs for master vol/tone. Tuners replaced with Grovers. The band-aid is holding on a small chunk of wood...evidently the owner was playing a bar back in the day, some guy threw a knife at his ol' lady, missed and the guitar saved this guy's life, so he left it that way.

I had a little time with her today. Plugged her into the SF Champ run into a beefy 2x12 and, man, are there tones. Some much so...I dunno what to do. Rehab her, leave her alone or find a 3 pickup MM pickguard and 2 more single coils and wire them up to the minis. I'm torn. But it sounds good right now! :thumb:

2. kevbo82

kevbo82 Member

What kinda knuckle head sticks big numbers all over their gibson!?
    [​IMG]
    Besides the red, I dig it. If I remember correctly I have one of those super distortions in the bridge of an old japanese SQ squire strat i have, and it's just too raunchy for me!

Hammer and LeadFinger like this.
  3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Nicely done. '66 or '67?
    That sure is a purty shade of Fire Engine Red..:naughty:
    I would leave it as is and just rock the hell out of it!
    I'd pull the 2 off though...

Hammer likes this.
  4. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

If it sounds good to you now, it is good. That guitar evolved into its current state.

Congrats!

Hammer likes this.
  5. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

67, I believe. He wasn't sure. Serial is 005595.

Kris Ford likes this.
  6. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Does it have a wet nose?

Alex_SG and Hammer like this.
  7. Kris Ford

Oh yeah! 00='67.. all "00" prefixed are '67's, but not every '67 is "00" SN#..oddly, the SN# prefix for the oval decal '76s is 00 too.
    That thing has got to be light as a feather!
    '70's hard rock tone probably just drips out of it!

Dig this though..What might be the chances that the two toggle switches on top are in the pot holes for the neck pickup?? :hmm:I looked hard at a couple pics of 4 knob ones, I'd be damned if those switches aren't replacing the neck volume and tone..the holes line up in the same spot..right in line with the jack..I'd say they are..and if so, then bringing it back to a 4 knobber would not suck..then only one switch in between them...
    Dude, I really think this might be a Melody Maker "D"..

LeadFinger and Hammer like this.
  8. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Great find,congrats

Hammer likes this.
  9. Kris Ford

Hammer likes this.
  10. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

I would think the holes for the mini toggles would be too small for the pots, but I'll take it apart and check when I get a chance. It's definitely not sparkling burgundy, though!

As far as the weight, it is definitely not light. I haven't weighed it, but it's about as heavy as my 94 standard with the Bigs on it. The neck is hella fat too. And it does drip 70s. The first thing I did when I plugged it in was flip on the Super D and rip through an admittedly sloppy rendition of Mama Kin. :laugh2:

Dave, JohnnyGoo and Kris Ford like this.
  11. Kris Ford

Nice. My '71 Deluxe with the Pat# Sticker T Tops does serious Aerosmith, like dead nuts almost for Round and Round, Sick as a Dog and Combination through my '76 JMP..:dude:

Well I've looked like 27 more times LOL..the holes would be in the right spots..a mini toggle just needs a couple of washers to fit there..:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Hammer likes this.
  12. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

I just took off the back plate...which hasn't been opened in sooooome time. Dusty...wooohoo. Does not appear to be a refin, so fire engine red in 67 still instead of the advertised switch to sparkling burgundy, but I suppose, as with anything, there is overlap, as well as custom ordering. It looks like the holes in the shielding for the two outside toggles may have been monkeyed with a little to make the rectangular base of the toggle fit, while the one in the middle is definitely a hand done job...sloppy as all hell. So...you may be on to something. I guess we won't know unless I pull out the toggles and see how clean the holes are. I might do that when I have a chance to give it a good cleaning.

Kris Ford likes this.
  13. Kris Ford

Or wouldn't you just **** if it were a MMIII? Check out the pickup location compared to this one! NGD 1967 Melody Maker III - The Gear Page Like what if that is stock, and the neck and bridge were changed..damn, you might have hit the Melody Maker jackpot! the IIIs are kinda rare..

Hammer likes this.
  14. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Well, the only thing making me think it is the single pickup model...no cut in the pickguard for the switch.

Kris Ford likes this.
  15. Kris Ford

Good point..guard does appear original..doesn't rule out that it may have been replaced..but I guess a forensic exam when you clean it would tell everything..

Hammer likes this.
  16. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Well aren't you the lucky bastard. Only thing followed me home was some soul sucking debt and early darkness due to the friggin time change !!

No really I am HAPPY for you Cheers what a great SCORE!!!

Paul G., Alex_SG, LeadFinger and 2 others like this.
  17. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Yea, I am! I think I did pretty good too. No breaks or repairs, original pickup and guts (with some additions), original finish with some nice checking...and only 400 bones...less approx $80 for the mini and $60 for the Super D (latest fleaBay prices at quick glance) if I decide to dump them...and I think I came out alright! :naughty:

eS.G. and Kris Ford like this.
  18. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

I like it. It's got soul and mojo...If it could talk I bet there are some good stories in there and a few waiting to be had.:naughty:

Hammer likes this.
  19. Zagnut

Zagnut Active Member

Jesus this made me laugh! You ought to write a book eS.G. Nice turn of a phrase.

To the OP, that's a winner no matter what you do with it. That's a rockin' machine. :thumb:

Alex_SG, JohnnyGoo and Hammer like this.
  20. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    Congrats!

Hammer likes this.