Sound Test of My New Used Peavey Solo Special 112. (updated sound test)

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by NoiseNinja, Jan 15, 2020.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

Update!!!:

And new sound test, after I stuck an EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor) into the Send/Return effects loop of the amp.

Just be aware that I broke a nail since last recording, so some notes will sound weaker than intended, not the setup's fault:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awec11uo0wgfrm7/New Peavy Solo Sound Test.mp3?dl=0

Here is a sound test of my new used Peavey Solo Special 112, 160W, 1 x 12", SS combo amp, recorded through my tube condenser microphone (link to DropBox, and if you are not logged in a box might pop up when clicking the link encouraging you to sign up to DropBox, blocking for the audio player, in that case just click with your mouse in the window beside it and it'll disappear, making the audio player accessible): https://www.dropbox.com/s/csrm9aghs85uuob/Peavey Solo Special Sound Test.mp3?dl=0

No other effects than my effect pedals used, exactly as recorded.

My signal path:

Epiphone SG Special>>

Joyo Orange Juice (light/medium overdrive, as well as dirty boost for the GDI21 dist)> Behringer GDI21 (always used in conjunction with the Joyo Orange Juice for high gain dist, using the California (Mesa Boogie) setting)> Behringer UT100 Ultra Tremolo> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix<->Bypass]> ={ Loop A of LS-2 Send> Monarch MFL-22 (flanger, most often used in conjunction with the phaser in effects Loop B)> Behringer UV300 Ultra Vibrato (practically functioning as a deep lush chorus effect, as clean signal is mixed with the effected signal)> Loop A of LS-2 Return >||< Loop B of LS-2 Send> XVive V6 Phaser King> Loop B of LS-2 Return (when phaser is not activated Loop B functions as empty parallel clean effects loop, with the effect/clean mix ratio set at about 60/40) }= / Bypass> Output of LS-2> Zoom G1Xon (always on subtle plate reverb, as well as other reverb and delay effects)> Harley Benton American Sound (relabeled Joyo, always on preamp)> Artec SE-EQ8 Graphic EQ (8 band graphic equalizer, always on)

>> Peavey Solo Special 112

>> Supreme TU-97 (tube condenser microphone)> Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic 100 (tube preamp)> Edirol FireWire FA-101 (audio interface)> Reaper (DAW)

Note that my guitar really need new strings, they are a bit dead.

And I suppose I should add it's all finger picking.

This is the amp, removed the logos my self:
    [​IMG]

And this is my guitar:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    living room rocker likes this.
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

Update!!!:

Please check out the post bellow this one, as I recorded a new improved sound test, which I link to in said post, as I wasn't really satisfied with the original one, linked to in this post.

And here's a brand new sound test of my guitar rig, as of 27th of March 2020, after I changed my setup and settings a bit once again.

A bit more presence, clarity and overall better definition I think with this new setup and settings.

It is all finger picking (the chords are strummed only using my fingers as well), and it consists mostly of parts from songs that I am working on currently for my alternative folk project "...and for such a long time", with a bit of improvisation here and there, mostly in the last section where I test my overdrive and distortion tone, which I don't really use for anything in the music I play currently, just having them in my setup for the sake of the eventuality of me needing overdrive and/or distortion at some point.

Though the other effects featured in this recording are pretty much used as I plan to use them for the new songs in the making that I am playing parts of here.

DropBox link to the sound test (if you are not logged into DropBox a box might pop up encouraging you to sign up to DropBox, blocking for the audio player, in that case just click somewhere in the window beside that box and it will disappear, making the audio player accessible):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fe7wwad9z8nc5dh/½ Guitar Sound Test II 270320.mp3?dl=0

The order and time stamps for the different sections of this sound test being:

00:00 - 01:22 = Clean, finger picking

01:23 - 04:00 = Tremolo, finger picking

04:03 - 06:34 = Tremolo -> Chorus (the chorus actually being a vibrato effect blended with cleans via my Boss LS-2), finger picking

06:37 - 09:44 = Phaser blended with Flanger, mixed together from two separate parallel effects loops via my Boss LS-2 at about a 50/50 ratio, finger picking

09:47 - 12:09 = Clean, chord strumming mixed with finger picking, including a bit of (pretty awful honestly) improvisation.

12:10 - 13:25 = Overdrive, improvised finger picking and chord strumming

13:26 - 15:52 = Distortion, improvised finger picking and chord strumming

Everything with an always on digital plate reverb emulation from my Zoom G1Xon last in the effects chain, just before going into the Joyo Orange Juice that I use as an always on clean preamp, finally going into my EHX Black Finger, tube driven optical compressor, sitting on top of my amp as the very last effect pedal before the amp input.

The amp was miked up with my tube condenser microphone in front of the amp's speaker at about a 0.5 meter (1.64') distance, for the recording.

The most recent incarnation of my effect pedals setup, used for this recording, looking like this:
    [​IMG]

The signal patch being this:

Epiphone SG Special ->->

Joyo Orange Juice (medium gain overdrive, also used stacked with the Metal Zone) -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (moderately high gain distortion, always used in conjunction with the Orange Juice stacked in front of it) -> Behringer UT100 Ultra Tremolo -> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix<->Bypass] -> ={ Loop A of LS-2 Send -> Monarch MFL-22 (flanger, most often used in conjunction with the phaser in effects Loop B) -> Behringer UV300 Ultra Vibrato (practically functioning as a deep lush chorus effect, as clean signal is mixed with the effected signal) -> Loop A of LS-2 Return >||< Loop B of LS-2 Send -> XVive V6 Phaser King -> Loop B of LS-2 Return (when phaser is not activated Loop B functions as empty parallel clean effects loop, with the effect/clean mix ratio set at about 50/50) }= / [Bypass] -> Output of LS-2 -> Zoom G1Xon (always on subtle plate reverb, as well as other reverb and delay effects) -> Joyo Orange Juice (clean preamp, always on)

->-> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, always on) -> Peavey Solo Special 112

My Epiphone SG Special, having gone through a few additional visual mods since the original post of this thread, as well as it has been equipped with a set of Elixir Nanoweb Light strings (same gauge as the D'Addario strings it was preciously equipped with, .010 - .046):
    [​IMG]

And finally a more recent photo of my amp, a Peavey Solo Special 112, 160W solid state combo, equipped with a 12" Scorpion speaker unit, with my EHX Black Finger, tube driven optical compressor, sitting on top of it (unlike the photo it is actually plugged into the High Gain input):
    [​IMG]

P.S!!!: Note that this recording is a first take, recorded in one single stretch, with a lot of playing mistakes and errors from my side, as the intended purpose was primarily for it to document my current tone, and not really so much the riffs and songs I am currently working on.

Also note that no additional EQ'ing, compression or effects was added post production, meaning this sound test is exactly as my tube condenser microphone, amplified by my tube mic preamp, captured my rig, and actually pretty close to perfectly identical to how it sounded to me while playing, not using headphones to monitor the recording.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

After some listens through I wasn't entirely happy with the tone of the sound test of my rig that I posted yesterday, mainly the basic tone of my guitar, as well as I realized the recording could have been better, so I decided to re-adjust the pickups of my SG Special thoroughly from scratch, including the individual adjustable pole pieces, as well as I decided to change the mic placement for the recording a bit, also remembering to remove the foam wind hood, that I forgot to do for the recording from yesterday.

Otherwise nothing else in the setup or settings has changed from the recording I made yesterday.

But all in all it resulted in a huge improvement in clarity and definition.

Additionally I also found out that I was not really satisfied with my distortion tone, so I left that section out of this new test, and plan to get a Mooer Black Secret Rat clone soon, which I hope will be able to do the job.

DropBox link to the spanking fresh new sound test (if you are not logged into DropBox a box might pop up encouraging you to sign up to DropBox, blocking for the audio player, in that case just click somewhere in the window beside that box and it will disappear, making the audio player accessible):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/blt8s3axrdgbucr/½ Guitar Sound Test III 280320.mp3?dl=0

And here's the order and time stamps for the different sections:

00:00 - 02:53 = Clean, finger picking

02:54 - 05:52 = Tremolo, finger picking

05:54 - 07:56 = Tremolo -> Chorus (the chorus actually being a vibrato effect blended with cleans via my Boss LS-2), finger picking

07:58 - 11:16 = Phaser blended with Flanger, mixed together from two separate parallel effects loops via my Boss LS-2 at about a 50/50 ratio, finger picking

11:18 - 13:58 = Clean, chord strumming mixed with finger picking, including a bit of improvised chord strumming.

13:59 - 16:16 = Overdrive, improvised finger picking and chord strumming

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

--** Yet another updated new sound test of my guitar rig **--

Sorry for keep spamming this topic, but I just couldn't keep my fingers away from my settings, so I changed the tone of my guitar rig yet again, but think I got it perfectly spot on this time, so hopefully I can leave it at that, and I manage to get a distortion out of my Joyo Orange Juice stacked in front of my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, so it is back in my pedal effects setup and included in this newest sound test of my rig, and might not get replaced with a RAT anyway, at least not for now.

So here it is, the new sound test of my guitar rig (if you are not logged into DropBox a box might pop up encouraging you to sign up to DropBox, blocking for the audio player, in that case just click somewhere in the window beside that box and it will disappear, making the audio player accessible):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/76kg5iyzdzqeeoi/½½ Newest Take Rig Sound Test 310320.mp3?dl=0

00:00 - 02:27 =
    Clean, finger picking

02:28 - 05:11 = Tremolo, finger picking

05:12 - 07:07 = Tremolo -> Chorus (the chorus actually being a vibrato effect blended with cleans via my Boss LS-2), finger picking

07:09 - 10:33 = Phaser blended with Flanger, mixed together from two separate parallel effects loops via my Boss LS-2 at about a 50/50 ratio, finger picking

10:38 - 13:10 = Clean, chord strumming mixed with finger picking, including a bit of improvised chord strumming.

13:13 - 14:33 = Overdrive, improvised finger picking and chord strumming

14:34 - 16:57 = Distortion, improvised finger picking and chord strumming

Again nothing was added post production, so the recording is exactly as my rig sounded picked up by my tube condenser mic placed in front og my amp.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020