Special Order Gibson sg Color?

61sgtone

Reaction score
Question: does anyone know if you can special order a new Gibson 61' sg reissue
"Heritage Cherry" color instead of the "vintage Cherry" color that Gibson is only
offering on the newest SG's on the market. The "Heritage Cherry" is a more Red color
than the "Vintage Cherry" color. Thanks in advance :)

skelt101

Reaction score
I'm guessing there would be a minimum number of units required. Occasionally, you'll see "Special Editions" and "Exclusive Models" at the bigger stores like Guitar Center, Sam Ash, AMS, CME, etc. However, they probably buy them buy the truck load to make it worth Gibson's while.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Heritage Cherry is currently available on the modern (large guard) Standard and the SG Standard bass.
I don’t know if you can talk them
Into a ‘61 but they still have it.

3bolt79

Reaction score
What ever happened to the purplish, darker red? Is that what the OP is talking about? I have a 2022 SG Standard, and it is a brighter, truer red. I had an 02 Standard which was the darker bing cherry color.

MR D

Reaction score
Question: does anyone know if you can special order a new Gibson 61' sg reissue
"Heritage Cherry" color instead of the "vintage Cherry" color that Gibson is only
offering on the newest SG's on the market. The "Heritage Cherry" is a more Red color
than the "Vintage Cherry" color. Thanks in advance :)
If you have enough $$$ GIBSON USA will build you the Guitar you wan,t to the specs you want...Made To Measure program GIBSON USA calls it, IIRC??? Big 'IF'....BUT....I'd bet that if you have enough $$$ they will try to make if fart.

There are lots of CUSTOM Guitar builders thatr will CUSTOM build you a guitar too....Rioger Giffin in the Oregon (?)area , Di Pinto Guitars in Philly...Iommi/ANGUS use Jay-Dee CUSTOM Guitars in Birmingham, England...my choice would be ATLANTIC Custom Guitars in North Carolina......

$3,000.00 +/- $500 should get you a CUSTOM build guitar... to your exact specs....

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
If you have enough $$$ GIBSON USA will build you the Guitar you wan,t to the specs you want...Made To Measure program GIBSON USA calls it, IIRC??? Big 'IF'....BUT....I'd bet that if you have enough $$$ they will try to make if fart.

There are lots of CUSTOM Guitar builders thatr will CUSTOM build you a guitar too....Rioger Giffin in the Oregon (?)area , Di Pinto Guitars in Philly...Iommi/ANGUS use Jay-Dee CUSTOM Guitars in Birmingham, England...my choice would be ATLANTIC Custom Guitars in North Carolina......

$3,000.00 +/- $500 should get you a CUSTOM build guitar... to your exact specs....
Atlantic doesn’t build guitars anymore (according to his site) but he still finishes necks, builds wiring harnesses and sells parts. I bought a CTS 500XL harness from him for a project LP. All 4 pots were over-spec… exactly what I wanted.

papagayo

Reaction score
The SG Standard '61 has a vintage cherry, "orange" finish but the SG Standard has a nice Heritage Cherry finish ;)

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/USA8LG109/SG-Standard/Heritage-Cherry

Custom Shop '61 Reissue , beautiful cherry

2016-gibson-custom-shop-61-reis-1.jpg

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Atlantic doesn’t build guitars anymore (according to his site) but he still finishes necks, builds wiring harnesses and sells parts. I bought a CTS 500XL harness from him for a project LP. All 4 pots were over-spec… exactly what I wanted.
No **** ?.....Then,Sadowsky in Long Island City, NYC can take Atlantics place on my list.BUT i'm sure you get the idea....CA$# is KING, and will get a player what they want.

MR D

Reaction score
Nice Cherry finish, not "orange vintage cherry" ... 🙂

View attachment 48138

WOWO, is that yours?The grain pattern in the upper left of the picture, HOT DAM SAM ! Gotta get me another SG, next one with a discernible grain pattern in the finish....when SG's have the grain pattern visible..... it just adds that, IDK..."THAT IS THE $#!T, RIGHT THERE !" and that SG Standard surely is !

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
It's the same color, they just changed the name. There has always been variation in how red or orange Heritage Cherry is, and the same seems to be true for "Vintage Cherry".

papagayo

Reaction score
I don' t like the vintage cherry finish, it looks orange to me, not cherry ....

Temp 47993.JPG

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
It's the same color, they just changed the name. There has always been variation in how red or orange Heritage Cherry is, and the same seems to be true for "Vintage Cherry".
I found references to a “Vintage Cherry” finish on the Custom Shop Gary Rossington SG. 19B35B9E-BD12-414D-9D2C-67A8E36F5049.jpeg

Last edited:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I found references to a “Vintage Cherry” finish on the Custom Shop Gary Rossington SG. View attachment 48143

Yeah, they haven't always been 100% consistent with their finish names.

This was also once called "Vintage Cherry"

12 coil tap.png

but is clearly more like "Aged Cherry" seen here:

12 std ltd.jpg

I'd say the finish on the Rossington is really just the standard "Faded Cherry" used on all Historic SGs at the time, and they just changed the name to make it seem more different, since frankly, there was very little that made Rossington's signature SG different from a regular Historic Standard.

Latest posts