Special Order Gibson sg Color?

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
That SG looks like its ORANGE to me.

Orange you glad I didn’t say banana?
I’m just saying it puts the “Vintage” in Vintage Cherry without the 60 year wait.
Somebody put a abr and pat pend milk bottle Grover’s in it but technically it’s a LP Jr..

2A0FA8BB-CF23-443B-BF9A-3743541D356C.jpeg

Last edited:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
The SG Gary Rossington is a Custom Shop Signature model aged by Tom Murphy, that' s why it looks washed cherry / orange :

View attachment 48149

As far as I know, Murphy's aging doesn't really involve fading the finish. I think any fading is just done by painting the guitar a different shade to begin with.

Here's a regular Historic Reissue from the same year in the standard "Faded Cherry" finish:

dsc04179.jpg

And to show the extent of variation, here's another one from the same year in the same "Faded Cherry":

b3rbwua04o8jbw3vzgyv.jpg

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I think you should just get a black one and
unplug the whole issue. *grins

Personally I don't care for red SGs...
Body@100.jpg
So I think Gibson should offer one in British racing green.
Just for the fun of it.
But I think the handsomest SG they've come up with recently is the SG naked.
SGN165NCH1_glam-db5ead86d5d66311f38cd16ff0bbfda7.jpg

Col Mustard

Reaction score
YES! That's the way I'd do mine if I had one.
I'd be likely to install all black everything, but that's just me.
Black bridge and tail, black knobs, black tuner buttons, etc etc.

I just don't like red SGs too well. So the difference between one shade of red and another isn't meaningful for me. I don't like red Les Pauls either, or red ES-335s.

But I do like my red Vox bass from so long ago
With an instrument this old, it is what it is. What shade of red is this? "Eye-tallian polly-glot red vintage 1965"
Vox Bass October 2020@100.jpeg

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
Those nekkid Sg's are making me hot...maybe the A/C is on the blink. P-90's and a standard bridge, nice! Not normally a fan of white pup covers, but I think it looks good on that one.

JimH

Reaction score
It's the same color, they just changed the name. There has always been variation in how red or orange Heritage Cherry is, and the same seems to be true for "Vintage Cherry".
It's the same color but with a different name and a color variation. AKA a different color. Heritage cherry is a full bright red, vintage cherry is more brownish and washed out looking. I have owned both at the same time, and have owned several of each. If you look at the current SG Standard and 61 side by side, they are definitely different colors.

EDIT: I'm talking about the current lineup, 2019-present. That seems to be what the OP is talking about. I don't know what Gibson has done regarding these colors in the past.

Last edited:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
It's the same color but with a different name and a color variation. AKA a different color. Heritage cherry is a full bright red, vintage cherry is more brownish and washed out looking. I have owned both at the same time, and have owned several of each. If you look at the current SG Standard and 61 side by side, they are definitely different colors.

EDIT: I'm talking about the current lineup, 2019-present. That seems to be what the OP is talking about. I don't know what Gibson has done regarding these colors in the past.

Again, there is color variation in every finish Gibson does. Here is a 1993 SG Standard in "Heritage Cherry":

qm0neohtgqzisorzrkkh.jpg

And a 2008 Standard in the same "Heritage Cherry"

Gibson-SG-Standard-2009.jpg

and that kind of variation has not changed post-2019.

Here's a 2020 Standard in a washed out looking "Heritage Cherry":

41122-S000019111-1

And here's a 2020 Standard '61 in a particularly dark and saturated "Vintage Cherry":

SG61WVENH-large.jpg

JimH

Reaction score
Again, there is color variation in every finish Gibson does. Here is a 1993 SG Standard in "Heritage Cherry":

qm0neohtgqzisorzrkkh.jpg

And a 2008 Standard in the same "Heritage Cherry"

Gibson-SG-Standard-2009.jpg

and that kind of variation has not changed post-2019.

Here's a 2020 Standard in a washed out looking "Heritage Cherry":

41122-S000019111-1

And here's a 2020 Standard '61 in a particularly dark and saturated "Vintage Cherry":

SG61WVENH-large.jpg

Allow me to repeat myself:
I'm talking about the current lineup, 2019-present. That seems to be what the OP is talking about. I don't know what Gibson has done regarding these colors in the past.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, my friend. I just wanted to address the original question.

Latest posts