Special Order Gibson sg Color?

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Allow me to repeat myself:
I'm talking about the current lineup, 2019-present. That seems to be what the OP is talking about. I don't know what Gibson has done regarding these colors in the past.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, my friend. I just wanted to address the original question.
Allow me to repeat myself:

"That kind of variation has not changed post-2019."

And on top of that, the second half of the comment was exhibiting post-2019 models.

papagayo

Reaction score
I was very lucky when I received this 2015 SG Standard, the Translucent Ebony finish is nice an mahogany is really cool.
Nobody wanted this anniversary model because there is a Les Paul signature on the headstock, so I paid 850€ brand new!

SG Standard TBK 218.jpg

This SG Std is made like a '61 Reissue.

MR D

Reaction score
Thanks, I like gold hardware anf if it' s tanished this is not a problem for me.
Gibson gold hardware is very strong, my Second Millennium Ltd SG Standard , the cream one was made in 2012.

View attachment 48170
Wow, 10 year old hardware, looks new….IDK, my experience w/Gibson Gold Hware has been mixed, some stays put for years, like yours, here ! and others oxidizes and comes offf almost immediately !either way, imma still a sucker for it every time !

MR D

Reaction score
I was very lucky when I received this 2015 SG Standard, the Translucent Ebony finish is nice an mahogany is really cool.
Nobody wanted this anniversary model because there is a Les Paul signature on the headstock, so I paid 850€ brand new!

View attachment 48182

This SG Std is made like a '61 Reissue.
Yeah Bro, IDK WTF GIBSON WAS thinking with that chicken scratch signature on the Headstock, I had a Special with that **** ! And I just avoided that guitar….it was a l’il frikkin Cannon too with ‘61R ‘61T pickups, one ROCKIN SG Special, but that Les Paul 100 ****, on every 2015 guitar GIBSON USA MADE , OH YEAH, Can’t get enough of those ….

MR D

Reaction score
Hey D.D., YES, too.....take a look at this: Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 4.51.29 PM.jpg
my 2019 SG 'Original' in 'Aged Cherry' w/Chrome Maestro/Hardware......The guitars finish appears to be an exact match for the 'OXBLOOD' SG posted somewhere in this thread.......I KNO THIS TO BE TRUE: THE 'OXBLOOD' 'Exclusive' SG'S FROM THAT YEAR, 2018-2019..... WERE 1ST SOLD TO ANDERTONS IN THE UK...For some reason Andertons refused the entire shipment from GIBSON USA...IDK why, I used to kno BUT forgot...... but I do kno Andertons refused the entire shipment !
So, the 'OXBLOOD' SG's ended up being sort of 'Re-Branded/Named and were sold to Chicago Music Exchange, IIRC...BIG IF......FTLOM, I cant remember why those guitars were returned/refused....I do remember I was told to stay away from them though....I ended up w/SG 3 Pickup Sideways Tremolo w/3 57's in it and the guitar had a SICK TONE...best sounding SG I'd ever played but I had to send it back as it had Fret-Board ROT !! OUCH, that hurt ! There was NO WAY I could keep that guitar.....
the 'Original' above replaced it, those two 'Exclusives' being the only SG that had '57's that year STOCK.....its pretty BAD-A$$$...I put a '61T in the Bridge Position and I stay in the middle toggle position all the time when I do play it....its one of the best SG's I've come across....not THEEE SG, but pretty damn close !

papagayo

Reaction score
Yeah Bro, IDK WTF GIBSON WAS thinking with that chicken scratch signature on the Headstock, I had a Special with that **** ! And I just avoided that guitar….it was a l’il frikkin Cannon too with ‘61R ‘61T pickups, one ROCKIN SG Special, but that Les Paul 100 ****, on every 2015 guitar GIBSON USA MADE , OH YEAH, Can’t get enough of those ….

Pickups are '57 Classic on the 2015 SG Std, volume potentiometers are push/pull, wiring is hand made.

SG Standard TBK 217 2.jpg

MR D

Reaction score
Pickups are '57 Classic on the 2015 SG Std, volume potentiometers are push/pull, wiring is hand made.

View attachment 48193
WOW, there is a BEAUTY, right there ! a '15 SG Standard, FRIKKIN' ROCKIN'..u MUST love THAT GUITAR, I do, AND ITS NOT EVEN MINE.....and GIBSON USA GOES AND PUTS that Butt-fuggin-fugly Les Paul 100 signature on the headstock, UGH !...The grain pattern on those SG Standards is off the hook AND w/Silver top-Hats they Totally make the guitar.... Great news is......that one has the '57's STOCK....and they are SICK Looking & Sounding Guitars, NO DOUBT ! WTF were GIBSON USA thinking? 'Lets just ****-up the entire USA line this year....' or WTF ? I kno it was Les Paul's Birthday or some ****, but still....that signature thang, UGH ! I tried...and I just can't deal with it .

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
@ MR D
2015 SG Std had a GForce system for tuning, it works very well but the poor SG don' t need extra weight at the headstock. I removed the GForce for KLUSON Revolution tuners.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Speaking of custom colors…I don’t know which is worse, the color, the price ($5k+} or that they have 2 in stock.

CFC6544E-6F8E-4C19-8ED2-FA2CCA4C5500.jpeg 812D46D3-0160-4CAB-8974-FBD9DF3F87C2.jpeg 89CD4BE6-535B-4697-83E5-34FF3382B2BE.jpeg 0D813513-D0CA-4D52-B70E-EA177DB85D27.jpeg

MR D

Reaction score
@ MR D
2015 SG Std had a GForce system for tuning, it works very well but the poor SG don' t need extra weight at the headstock. I removed the GForce for KLUSON Revolution tuners.
ME TOO, the 2015 SG Special I mentioned had the G-Farce system and it worked flawlessly, but I hated the guitar like a Red-Headed Step-Child because of the chicken scratch writing on ze Head-Stock...it also had the wider neck 1-13/16th's" w/locking /Adjustable NUT that made intonation spot-on in the second octave as long as the guitars neck was within .005" @ 9TH Fret of being DEAD-STRAIGHT.......the 2017 SG Standard had/has Locking GROVER Tuning Machines STOCK, yes? BUT BUT BUT.....the 2019 SG 'Original' had the biggest POS 'PING' Tuning Machines I have ever seen on a 'Standard' GIBSON model...and they were sooo fuckin' BAD I had no choice but to breakdown and put the Kluson 'REVOLUTION's on it......the 'PING' TM's slipped and wobbled so bad ithe guitar never held tune..... So, I looked them up on e-bay, and they sold for a set of 6 TM's for some ridiculous A$$$ amount...$1.380/per TM.... just over $10 for set of 6 TM's.......the 2019 SG 'Standard'/'Original' was/is an 'Exclusive' by GIBSON USA for zzounds dot com and the actual model guitar is NOT listed on the GIBSON USA Legacy archive pages....never again will GIBSON pull that sort of BULL-$#!T STORY/FAST-ONE on me !

Interestingly enough the 2020 SG 'Standard' I bought to beat the $#!T out of came from the GIBSON Factory (and is listed on the GIBSON USA Legacy archive pages) as having 'PING' Tuning Machines....and they are actually EXCELLENT Tuning Machines, smooth turning, no POST Wobble/Gear slippage...BUT I SWAPPED the TM's out for the Kluson 'REVO's anyway because the 2019 SG 'Standard'/'Original' is soooo BAD-A$$ w/the 'REVO's, I figured I might as well. GIBSON USA Post-Bankruptcy is cutting corners on the solid body electric models by making them lighter, slightly thinner and not listing the specs of their guitars on the GIBSON USA dot com web-site as GIBSON had previously done up until 2018....It seems no one liked GIBSON CEO Henry Joozkewitz, but at least Henry J was UP-FRONT about the specifications on all of the guitars his company sold, eh ? the new GIBSON HEAD Guy Jim , three Stooges 'CURLY', Curleigh ?...NOT SO MUCH, as the 'Super-Sleazy' move with the 2019 SG 'Standard/'Original' Tuning Machines from the sewers of South Korea indicates. The entire Bull-$#!T story about 'MADE IN USA'.... STRIKES AGAIN ?

Does the 2015 SG Standard you posted the picture of NECK DIVE ??? w/or w/out the G-FARCE? Whats the NUT Width ? 1-11/16ths ? did you ever weigh the Bad-A$$ ? IF SO, how much does it weigh ? the 2020 SG 'Standard' I have is barely 6 Lbs. w/slightly lighter (by 3 grams per TM) KLUSON 'Revolutions' TM's on it.......the 2019 SG 'Standard'/'Original' weighs in at 7 Lbs EXACTLY and neither guitar suffers from Neck Dive (w/a Leather backed strap attached).

Last edited:

Latest posts