(Split) My creaking nut.....

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by dr purple, Mar 5, 2005.

1. dr purple

dr purple Member

hey charlie, my standard makes a creaking noise that sounds like its coming from the nut when i stretch the g-string... what should i do? new nut?

2. ess

ess Guest

smooth the slot out a LITTLE :!: :!: :idea: . or put some pencil lead in there purp. might help.

3. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

you can get tubes of powder graphite.....for locks. i use it on the strat, along with 3in1 oil and chapstick, to keep the trem workable!! :D

4. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

First thing is to put some graphite in the nut slots - the graphite can be shaved off a pencil, or you can use locksmiths graphite.

My brown faded made some slight nut creak when first new, but it went away by about the 2nd string change. That is, the nut slot was a little tight or perhaps a little V shaped on the bottom, but wore/settled in. The red one was just fine. I don't see that as a "defect" but as something that just needed no attention other than use.

However, if the graphite doesn't help, and you still have the problem after say... after two string changes worth of playing (a couple of months), then you may have to just barely... AND I MEAN BARELY... touch up the nut slots.

You'll need the proper slotting file, a strong magnifier to closely examine the nut slots for what the problem is, and to gauge which file fits the slot and will be able to just "kiss off" the extra material. This requires a good eye, and a very light touch on the file, and some experience to judge which file to use that will not screw up the slot making it too wide or too deep.

If you want to touch up the slot(s) yourself, I suggest getting some blank nuts and filing them for practice. Then reading all you can on www.frets.com . Then making a gauge nut, that is, file a slot with each file so you can actually see how that file cuts, regardless of whats printed on it for its size (they vary a LOT from what they're marked as!).

I've got double sided and single sized files. The double sided is good for the wider slots, the single size better for the narrower slots.... for the files I've got, and the way I work that is. Your milage may vary....

5. Turbo

Turbo New Member

Don't forget Big Bends "Nut Sauce". Works.
    You can find it at many places including RS Guitarworks.
    http://www.rsguitarworks.net

6. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Tufty needs some nutsauce

7. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

poor tufty.....his tail must be swingin from someones car antenna by now!!

8. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

hehehe - Skids -dude...That's funny!

9. dr purple

dr purple Member

well charlie, ive gone through about 8 string changes on my sg.. and it never went away... but on the next string change ill put graphite on it.. my sg stays intune now perfectly for long periods of time.. the creaking just doesnt settle right in my mind as i was stretching the g string out...

10. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

g string only?

11. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

always wondered what a wedgie sounded like...... :shock: :p

12. ess

ess Guest

13. Turbo

Turbo New Member

Not sure why. BUt it always seems like the G string is the worst!

14. dr purple

dr purple Member

yes sir, the g-string only. that damn string seems to bear varying problems to players abroad

15. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Nuff Said

I got it and it works.................but first the nut issues have to be critically addressed.........

[​IMG]

Get Bent!...... :lol:

16. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

You can also use Teflon gel. It comes in a silver grey 3 oz. squeeze tube (enough to last about a thousand years when used to lubricate guitar nut slots), works great and you can get it in Radio Shack under the name Archer Lube Gel.

17. maxguitar

maxguitar Member

G strings are always the little bitches in my experience... someone once told me it was because they were the thickest unwound string in the set. Takes the turns longer to settle around the post, and holds stright for longer so kinking is more of an issue. Maybe. I dunno.

If the slot ain't big enough or is V shaped, the nut sauce won't help.

If your repair guy is nice enough, he'll widen your slot on the spot and for free. It'll take about 15 seconds! It's so easy to fix if you know what you're doin.