Still looking for an SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by hippydude22, Feb 26, 2021.

1. hippydude22

hippydude22 New Member

After getting a new Gibson sg 61 i sent it back to the shop , My number one problem was i didn't like the thin neck, i have really large hands and mostly like a more rounded shape , other than that is was a gear guitar. Never played an SG before but i know i like then but i need one with a slightly more rounded neck . Just wondering if the standard has a bigger C shape on the neck.

2. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

The SG classics are nice and chunky. I absolutely love them, especially the earlier 2000 versions. I think the necks started tapering a bit more in 2009 until they were discontinued a couple years later.

I am unaware of any production year of standards that had Rounded C shape necks. Even the 90’s standards seemed to be fairly slim necks. I’m sure someone will chime in who might know of a specific year the neck shapes changed.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  3. PauloQS

PauloQS Member

The modern collection SG standard has a rounded neck profile. It is thicker than the neck on the original collection Standard ‘61, but not drastically so. The rounded neck profile should be right in between the ‘50s neck on the LP Standard and the slim taper on the SG Standard ‘61. If you want an even thicker neck, I think you need to go the custom shop route. Guitar Center has a run 61 historic reissue (custom shop) with ‘59 necks, CME has a ‘64 run with ToM bridge or you can go the regular ‘64 reissue route.

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

SG Classics are my favorite SG ever produced.

2016 SG Standard T has a nice chunky rounded neck.
    1st fret thicknes: 0.818"
    12th fret thickness: 0.963"

Thickest neck I ever encountered was on a 1970 SG Junior.

[​IMG]

Vall and sekoya like this.
  5. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

Any current or post 1990 Gibson USA Special or Standard has a nice rounded neck profile. Those 1961 Reissue necks are very flat. An acquired taste, to be sure.

6. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

Oh, and can we please have a look at this 1970 SG Junior as just mentioned? Perty pleaze?

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member