Storage Question

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Arthwys, May 4, 2021.

1. Arthwys

Arthwys New Member

Hi folks. Thought I'd run this past the experts. I've come into owning an SG G400 Pro, which I love. This is my first electric guitar, and in my opinion she is awesome! I want to ensure that I'm not storing her in a way that causes damage.

Because I don't have a stand for her yet, I keep her in the case to keep her safe, and this is what I am wanting some feedback on. I use a strap lock on the bottom button which is tiresome to remove/put on, so I have been keeping the strap connected when she goes back in the case. What I worry about is, when the case is latched close does that extra material pressing down on the guitar cause damage or wear of any kind?

Here's what I mean:

SG Strapped Small.jpg

What do you guys think? When it's like I have it in the photo the lid on the case is quite snug to close.

2. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

If the case closes easily (without having to push it closed) it shouldn't cause any issues. Short term I often do the same thing so I know I haven't forgotten my strap if I am traveling. Never had any issues. If I am storing for longer periods of time I usually take the strap off because why not.

Arthwys likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

If you get an SG with a nitro finish in the future, do not get in the habit of doing that. I've seen a vintage SG Standard with the finish on the backside of the guitar messed up with grooves indented into the finish because someone stored a coiled instrument cable between the bottom of the guitar and the inside of the case.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Arthwys and Colnago like this.
  4. Colnago

Colnago Active Member

If you do that with a nitro finished guitar it will eat your paint and make it a sticky mess. You should be fine with your Epi, just make sure that future guitars aren’t nitro and you’ll be all good.
    Welcome to the electric guitar club, you can’t just have one!

5. Arthwys

Arthwys New Member

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! It is appreciated!

6. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Another option is to roll up the strap starting at the end enough to tuck the rolled part into the space created by either of the horn cutouts and under where the neck joins the body.

That way it wont be creating any extra tension on the fret board and strings.

laza616 likes this.
  7. laza616

laza616 Active Member

I cant agree more!

rotorhead likes this.
  8. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Or...put some Schaller S-locks on it. You can then easily quick disconnect the strap and not worry about. I have them on my LPJ.

9. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Ditch the strap locks and get these. Sh1t don't always have to be so complicated..
    . download.jpg

Arthwys and DrBGood like this.
  10. Brooklyn Zeke

Brooklyn Zeke Member

You'd have to be a moron to do that.