Strange Greco SG

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by JamieD, Oct 12, 2021.

1. JamieD

JamieD New Member

Hi guys.
    I've just bought a Greco SG that looks like Tony Iommi's Epiphone. The headstock logo seems like 197x-198x but everything else looks new as hell. Fretboard is ebony, the cross inlays are good, pickups are HVM brand... pictures here Screenshot_20211013-075217_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211013-075203_Gallery.jpg
    I have no idea what kind of model it is since it has no serial number. Is it a make-over vintage Greco? Does anyone know anything about this guitar please let me know. Thanks alot!
    Ps: Pardon my terrible english

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

these days.... if it looks strange the chances are very good it's a brand new "fake".

and those inlays and headstock inlays look pretty strange.

3. JamieD

JamieD New Member

I hope it's an old Greco body and someone repainted it and change the fretboard. I mean, why fake a 40 yrs Greco when you could just snap a Gibson or Epip logo on it.

4. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

It looks like a fake Greco, how much did you pay ?

5. JamieD

JamieD New Member

About 170 Usd. Idk, it play and sound better than my Jackson js32

6. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

those inlays look brand new

7. dumpster chicken

dumpster chicken New Member

If it sounds good and plays good keep it and play it.

8. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

idk but would people really bother to fake a Greco when they might as well slap a Gibson logo on there? I'm leaning towards swapped fretboard. Check the cavities, was it a different color before? Check the seams between binding and neck for signs as well and check if the body and neck are exactly the same color. (if they swapped it they most likely would have had to repaint) Interestingly the binding is thicker on the left side and the frets don't go all the way to the edge and they (binding) seem to have different color and if so, something definitely went on there.. Also looks as if the plastic is still on the truss rod cover.

(on a side note the nut slots are too deep)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  9. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Don't know about the nut slots being too deep. Open strings would have fret buzz if they were. But that is a raw nut - it hasn't been touched since it went in. It needs finishing for shape and height.

10. Von Trapp

I'd say E and A string at least but you're right, it's untouched which actually points to the replaced fretboard theory. What I meant was not that the strings are too low but the slots too high, ie the strings are too deep into it.

donepearce likes this.
  11. Von Trapp

Ok, so I'm fascinated by this now. An alternative is that someone removed the frets and nut, routed for inlays and then stained the fretboard. The right hand binding is darker and the edge between it and the fretboard is not clean so stain could have done that. The left hand binding can have been damaged somehow and thus replaced. Fret ends look unfinished, uncrowned, too as well as the frets being too short. So, someone with some of the necessary skills lacking and not overly troubled with details did this at home, because the rest of the guitar seems pro made. Hence the untouched nut and the plastic still on the cover.

12. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

That binding thing is beyond weird.

13. Von Trapp

Not if you follow my theory. Chances then are that since the "luthier" didn't know how wide the frets should be he also didn't know you have to change all of the binding or it won't match. Also, just removing the frets and nut to route for inlays is easier than removing the whole fretboards so makes sense that he would do that instead. How you can get the frets too short is beyond me though but perhaps he changed the left hand binding somehow after putting the frets on because the distance from the fretboard over the bindings seems to be the same on both sides.. Fascinating!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    pancake81 likes this.
  14. JamieD

JamieD New Member

Thanks for the details on the biding. I didn't even notice that the right biding looks darker than the left one. Also, I tuned it down to D standard and there was fret buzz on B and G strings, on E std it plays well and no buzz can be hear from the amp.
    About the fret wire, it feel as good as my other guitars (a Js32 Jackson and a Cort)
    The body and neck must have been hand painted, pick up holes and cavities are painted with black shielding paint so I cannot tell anything. And the nut is a little bit deep but I will replace it anw.

15. Von Trapp

Nothing that can't be fixed. Looks like a great guitar anyway.

JamieD likes this.
  16. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

those frets don't look too short or unfinished. they are not rounded but they aren't just snipped. That first fret looks to have the same bevel on each edge. It's a way steeper bevel than I'd put on if I was doing the fretwork. But it's not sloppy or anything.

the binding looks weird on the closeup... but it doesn't look out of the ordinary on the body shot around that fingerboard end.

could've been rebound. but if so, there will be some heavy evidence of that where the binding meets the finish line.

JamieD likes this.
  17. JamieD

JamieD New Member

Screenshot_20211019-084716_Gallery.jpg
    Here is the whole fretboard. Beside the weird biding, everything looks normal to me. Idk maybe I haven't see many expensive guitar before .

18. Von Trapp

Could be that it just looks that way in a picture because one can't see the rounding of the binding but the frets seem too short on the left hand side and it also looks as if they're not properly crowned. But then again, might just be the pic. Still, I would have liked it to look like this. However, if it feels good and plays good it doesn't really matter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  19. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

I would agree with Von Trapp above in that I would normally like to see the frets come all the way to the edge of the board and binding. The combination of oddities here would seem to indicate the entire board with its fancy inlays was added, and perhaps not the most expertly fitted by an intermediate luthier who was pushing his/her limits. That is not a fatal flaw by any means, as everything comes down to how the final product plays. Looks are important, but if the function is there I can overlook some strangeness, and even come to love it for the unique character it adds on a good player. It is an interesting guitar, and probably has an equally interesting backstory to go along with the looks. Congratulations on scoring a "one of a kind" instrument. I hope it continues to give you joy and spur future creativity. That is after all what buying any instrument is all about.

Nemesis0710 and JamieD like this.
  20. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Frets are what the fretboard is designed to support so it is always a good idea to use every last millimetre of real estate to make them as long as possible, but these aren't disastrously short.
    More bothersome to me is those inlays. It may be a trick of the light, but they look like they are sunk some way below the fretboard level. Is that an optical illusion?