Strap locks and straps thread

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Deibitto, May 27, 2021.

1. Deibitto

Deibitto Member

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what you all use for straps on your SG's. Furthermore, do you use strap locks ?

I'm on my third epi SG (fourth epi).

On my 2nd SG I was using the rubber strap locks to some good effect. I have a suede leather strap so I only fixed the strap to the back of the SG. The suede leather being so tightly stuck in caused the screw to wobble loose when playing, and the other end the strap would sometimes fly off. My fault for not fixing it with a rubber but I didn't want to mess about should the strap become twisted.

My 3rd SG was bought used but is the same guitar, the owner fitted strap locks, it looks like new screws,felt, and the strap locks have a nice free movement to them, the strap is squished on with a cap. Perhaps I'm using them wrong ? the cap has fallen off once or twice. I asked for the original strap knobs but I think he gave me two fender onces. They are cone shaped and I think epi using a schaller type ?

Anyway, what are you using to keep your SG from flying out of the window?

2. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

I use the Schaller locks on almost all of my electric guitars, and everything that might leave the house at some point gets them for sure. It is cheap insurance against a strap coming loose and the potential dropage that might result. There are several different lock systems out there, and as long as they are solid and well built they will all do the job just fine. My main recommendation would be to pick a set that are commonly available to you and use the same thing on all your guitars. That way your straps will easily swap from one instrument to the other. You don't have to do it of course, but trust me the convenience of standardizing is something you won't regret.

3. TChalms

TChalms Member

I use a wide suede strap with rubber washers. No slipping around on my shoulder and no neck dive (it's a G-310 with the bolt-on neck, so yeah, the balance is pretty good.) (Oh, some peoples' noses just went up in the air. But their noses are probably already up, because it's an Epiphone. I don't care about other peoples' nose problems.)

As long as there is no problem with the stock strap buttons being wobbly, rubber washers work great as strap locks. I don't see any need to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

But if the strap buttons are at all loose, then yeah, there is a problem to solve. First, I would try to tighten up the strap button with a few pieces of toothpick, putting the thicker part of the toothpick down into the hole first. If toothpicks don't solve the wobbling, then you need a thicker screw. My last choice is to use Schallers or other strap locks. The Epi G-310 is a tank. I suppose more delicate guitars might need other measures.

4. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

Just to be clear, strap locks do only one thing. They facilitate a solid mechanical lock point to prevent the strap from pulling off the button without manipulating the mechanism on the strap. They have nothing whatsoever to do with neck dive, or solving any other problem. One of the things I like about the Schaller system is that the button that actually mounts on the instrument also works just fine with any standard strap (no lock mechanism on the strap at all), but without the lock mechanism on the strap, the strap can be easily pulled off by accident just like any non locking button/strap set up.

Strap locks lock the strap securely to the button, and that's it. There are lots of ways to do it, but that is all they do. Other issues require other solutions.

5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

My favourite strap locks for an SG are the Loxx ones. Super secure and low profile.

6. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Idk why, but I've never needed strap locks on any SG I've owned or played. Les Pauls... yes. No doubt, especially on the "top" peg. I guess I'm just standing right with SGs lol.

But, I go with Schallers due to the simplicity of the spring latch thing when installing or removing the straps. Plus, they're easy to install, initially.

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    about $12/100

8. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

I bought Schaller strap locks with my first guitar as they were recommended to me and have used them ever since on all my guitars. I don't have any experience with other strap lock systems or rubber washers as I never had a reason to try something else. The Schallers are very convenient, easy to install and well worth the money in my opinion.
    I would just never use a guitar without any locking mechanism...don't wanna risk my precious guitar hitting the floor.

As for straps: I tried 2 or 3 different kinds (cotton and leather) before I discovered the "Mojo" collection from Right On! Straps. They are perfect I think and available in a lot of different looks and materials. I like them because they are super comfy due to the padding, don't slip, high quality (as far as I can tell), made without any animal parts and they have built-in plectrum holders.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  9. Worblehat

The problem is: I would need to by 48 more guitars to actually use a pack of 100. You have to factor that into the calculation...

Biddlin likes this.
  10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

In that case you only need to buy a 4 pack of Grolsch and three more guitars! I currently have more than 20 guitars and just can't drink that much anymore.:naughty:

Worblehat likes this.
  11. Worblehat

:D
    Good point... and now I am thirsty as I noticed that I haven't had a Grolsch in quite a while.

Biddlin likes this.
  12. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I notice that I keep posting this. Hopefully one day the world will understand that It's all you need. Also doesn't look stupid, as opposed to strap locks.
    PWEEP202_detail1-73bac3654af8a2512b21a47f88c77da6.jpg