Strap Locks

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Mule Bell, Jan 17, 2014.

1. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Schaller Straplocks for me. I like the idea of the Grolsch washers, but I don't like to store the guitar with the strap attached (I made mine myself with two old belts and has a buckle and metal parts that would scratch the guitar and not really fit on the case).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Schallers never failed me on the guitar's end, but make sure they're always tight on the strap!

2. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

This is what I do as well, but always put loctite on the nut where the strap is. I've had it come unscrewed mid gig a coupla of times.

Jayz likes this.
  3. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Another vote for Grolsch Strap locks. You could also try these. I bought a bunch in the seventies, and need to get some more sometime. They're real simple, but very effective. They are great for SG's because they fit close to flush.

Pair of Leather Guitar Strap Locks Straplocks Vanilla | eBay

4. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Schallers for me. Been using them for over 20 years. My 11 year old set on My Faded still work like new.

bwotw likes this.
  5. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

I have the Dunlop plasticy ones which you ordered. Should be enough if you're just moseying about in the closet. Thinking about it, why are you in the closet anyway? :hmm: Does it act like a little soundproof room?

The Grolsch ones are nice, but alas, I don't drink. They look a lot prettier though.

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

+1 on the Grolsch Beer gaskets. These will actually never fail IMHO...
    they are not elegant, but SGs are usually not elegant either. SGs are rebellious, disobedient, insubordinate, subversive, fiery, charismatic, explosive and deeply spiritual. so the Grolsch gaskets will enhance the authenticity of any SG. Impurity is irrelevant to SGs or their owners (in general).

Another solution which I thought was perfect if yer a metalhead is to go to the hardware store and buy a couple of washers that are just big enough around (inner diameter) for the inside of the strap post to enter, but not big enough for the outside to exit. unscrew the post, put the washer on it, put the strap on it, screw it back on and Bob's Yer Uncle... That will never fail either. and it will cost maybe fifty cents. and it will look metallic rather than red-rubbery. The red rubber ones are more Rock an Roll IMHO...

But if you're getting the Dunlops, those will also work fine. Here's one caution that no one has mentioned: Always check the tightness of the screw inside the strap post. Those have a tendency to work loose, especially when you use strap locks. So get in the habit of checking that... if your post gets loose, it can fall out, still locked to the strap, and dump your prized SG into the mosh pit, filled with adoring fans or hungry vampires or both.

eS.G. likes this.
  7. R.A.F.

R.A.F. Active Member

Get a washer or a pick. Cut it like this. Done.
    [​IMG]

Col Mustard likes this.
  8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Grolsch gaskets here, but a tip, make sure you change the red gaskets out regularly for fresh ones.......you don't want them (or you) drying out ....I mean safety first gang!:laugh2:

9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

i have one gasket that's been on one of my instruments (my '66 J-Bass) for nearly five
    years I think. No signs of fatigue or cracking. That's why I claimed that they'd never fail.

But eS.G's right of course... if you get another four-pack of Grolsch, you owe it to your guitar collection to use all of the gaskets
    EVERY TIME. And it's good beer, so why not?

10. Mule Bell

Mule Bell New Member

Playing in the closet isn't common? I thought everyone just played in the closet!

The closet is the only room available to me. But it is the most awesome closet ever. I now quite enjoy spending as much time as possible in that closet!

And to address Mustard's concern about the loose screw and the guitar dropping - it will just fall to my feet, not into the mosh pit. Either way, I don't want my new SG getting hurt.

11. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

To your feet can be horrible, I had a Harmony L.P. copy many years ago (from J.C. PEnney catalog I believe---damn I am old) that fell (strap let go up by the neck) she took a nose dive.,....on a carpeted floor even and snapped the headstock right off!!!!!! It was my first electric guitar and I was devastated!!!

Save guitars drink more Grolsch!

Biddlin likes this.
  12. ryansummit

ryansummit New Member

never ever purchase these
    http://http://www.ernieball.com/products/super-locks/
    someone gave them to me and they are the worst
    stick so far out from the body
    and the screws are so huge
    ive got schaller types plus one of those leather ones
    im eventually just going to get all the leather ones on everything
    also i use a levys heavy woven strap
    the leather part with peg hole is so stiff you really dont need locks
    im just an idiot trying to figure out twists

13. New

New New Member

Hockey tape. No I'm serious. The tape hockey players use for their sticks. You can find it at any sporting good store. Just wrap tape around the strap's slits under the strap button. Secure as heck. The tape is super adhesive to leather straps.:thumb:

14. pdxtom

pdxtom Member

I also have the Dunlop Strap locks installed on all of my Gibson guitars so I can just switch the same strap from one guitar to another.

Something else I like about them is that you can buy extra buttons separately so that you don't have to shell out for a full set for every guitar;
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NLSCPE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: 2 Buttons Only for Dunlop Strap Locks Black Allparts AP-6582-003: Musical Instruments[/ame]

15. SG_Island

SG_Island Well-Known Member

Another Grolsch man here!

[​IMG]

eS.G. and Jayz like this.
  16. FREE SG

FREE SG Member

I use the Pro Line....or generic Schallers....can't beat em!:applause: