String Muting

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Karathas, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

String muting. Anyone have tips on how to make yourself sound better by keeping everything quiet. This is one of the things i'm really struggling with now. Does it get better as you practice? or are there things you have to do all the time?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

It's just practice. Eventually you do it naturally. Mute some strings, let others sing as sympathetics. Mostly muting though or you get that tiresome "open tuning" sound.

milesdeem likes this.
  3. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Maybe you could tryby using your pick hand only... Picking each string up and down, and slowly applying more presure and then releasing it from strings.

So that way you can feel the string in your hand, and aknowledge just how much pressure you need to mute each string.

Nevertheless, it's a hard excersice that's going to get better as you practice a lot, so get to it!

4. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

As stated it just sorta starts to come natural. At least it did for me. I was struggling with it, then before I even realized I was dead strumming, palm muting, etc. There are a lot of youtube vids on muting.

5. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

When I am playing power chords on say the 4th or 5th string I mute the string above it (e.g., 5th or 6th string) by touching my fingertip on it while fretting below it. The higher strings I mute simply by resting my pinky on them but not pressing firmly. I know some people with long fingers can wrap their thumb over the neck but I can't. My technique seems to work. Hope this helps.

Palm muting is done with the right hand (picking hand) and is very different. I find that easiest with a tune-o-matic bridge but my Graph Tech ResoMax is a big improvement on the Gibson wraptail in that respect

6. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

It can be hard to explain, but just practice it until you get the desired effect. In my case I mute with the "pinky-side", and/or "outer-palm" of my picking hand while picking.

7. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

It something I don't really think about... you get to a point that you have done it so many times... it becomes natural. When I force myself to think about it, I think I am using a combination of all parts of the hand and/or fingers on both hands. It depends on the song I'm playing or the effect I want to achieve. I will take the same song and mute it differently based on the overall sound I want to represent. By using all parts of your hand, you may be surprised as to the variance of sound you can produce.

8. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies..I have been finding my muting getting better, especially with songs i have been playing alot. Overall, after playing for around a year, my playing is becoming tighter..still have a long way to go..but im getting there.

DoodoaXD and milesdeem like this.
  9. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

I tend to use parts of my palm on my strumming hand for when im doing leads and on rythm I tend to just barely touch the strings I don't want to use to keep them from vibrating with my fretting hand.